PDA

View Full Version : How to make a helmet cam??

HeadShot
08-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I realy want to make a helmet cam . I have a spare mask, its the Scott mask that came with the old skool tippmann 98 (not custom). I figure instead of just throwing it away I would try to make a helmet cam out of it to get more use out of it.

I was thinking maybe to just get a peice of plexi glass and use some zip lines .
use my dremmel to carve a hole in the mouth part of the mask , carve a peice of plexi glass to fit the hole , and then hot glue the plexi glass in place. I'll use the zip lines to hold the camera down onto the mask.

so I was wondering if any of ya has tried to do this, and if it worked for you, maybe give some suggestions before I take my Kawasaki dremmel to it .

oh I would put up pictures of the camera and mask that I am going to use but idk if I'm alowed to do so and I dont have a image hosting site to go to.

SupaSnipa
08-22-2007, 05:27 AM
just go to photo bucket create an account and upload or just click attach file and upload them from your computer

Weever
08-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Never seen someone doing this, but If you success then post us some nice videos !

IRStookmySpyder
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
I seen one on ESPN like a year or so ago, but it was onto of the mask the guy was using. I don't think cutting a whole in the mouth area would be very smart, because if you have a camera there breathing out of your mask would be very hard. Just my .02

paintballkid0206
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
just duct tape the camera to your head. lol. i owuld need to see some more pics so i can see how big the camera is.

HeadShot
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
well, paintball used to be played with only goggles..but then because people kept geting paintmouth. then face mask was born.

and I don't think that tapeing a camera to my head is considered "low profile"

I'm going to have to mod the mask further to fit the camera. I tried just putting it in and its going to be a very tight fit. I figure I might have to cut the mask for the corners of the camera.

Tommorrow I'm getting the plexi glass, and ....whoa..I wonder If I just cut up a paintball lens, hmmmmmmm. ok I'm going to the dollartree to get some hotglue sticks.

I'll try that hosting site and try and put pics on it.

oldironmudder
08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
At wally world, they have a wireless camera that runs on a 9v. The reciver plugs into your tv or vcr & you watch/record it. Its small enough on the 'eye' end a small peep hole in the front of the mask might work.

HeadShot
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey, I'm still working on it. but some things to the camsheild (thats what I'm calling it) have changed.

the feilds here at virginia beach do not allow you to play with a modified mask..like say cuting it or anything along the lines of "unsafe" . so if I did make the cuts on my mask and whent through all the trouble of making my camsheild work on it, I could be turned away from playing due to the mask being unsafe for play.

so I have made a change to the design and I'll be putting it on my regular play profiler . no cuts for the mask are required. and I'll beable to take it off or put it back on realy quick. its not going to mess with raising my profile on the feild. and I've already asked if making it this way is safe for play and it is. sooooooo....

right now I'm making a Spydermann (tippmann + Spyder).

and as soon as its done I'll start posting down the tools, materials, building steps, and paint. and hopefully some pics

Kenny_McCormic
09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
right now I'm making a Spydermann (tippmann + Spyder).

WTF is that? Spyder framed tippy?

HeadShot
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
a tippman 98 c frame that I'm loading up with spyder parts. I just put on a spyder drop forward, I'm going to paint it tonight. :D while listening to dragon force

DFSniper
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
i dont know if this will help, but i came across it a long time ago when i looked into helmet cams:

http://www.helmetcamera.com/acart/agora.cgi?product=HelmetCamera_&xm=on

Tito=PBL
09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
this sounds intresting. cant wait for the pics an vid.

Elfmaze
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
you can use any number of bullet cams out there and some form of recording device. A aiptek DV5800, RCA RD2780, camcorder. there is also all in one units like the ATC2000 or this one

http://www.vholdr.com/

Good luck, any questions let me know

HeadShot
09-09-2007, 08:02 AM
ok lexan is a ***** to cut. any sugg's? I'm using a drem with a drill bit.

I need to hurry up befor gaberielle hits VA beach. hey I didn't see your 2 posts but those cams are expensive. I only spent like 10 bucks to do what I'm making.