PDA

View Full Version : So, who's hot?

vikingshadow
08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
What's the temp in your corner of the world? Let me tell you mine....

Honey, get the popcorn! Vike's about to tell a story!

Currently, it's 103* here. With about 85% humidity - averages out to be about 110 or so (I think). Oklahoma humidity is the crap!

So, why does it matter? Imagine this....Saturday night, watching a scary movie (not really scary, but whatever.) So, my wife and daughter want the light off, but I like a little light on when I'm watching television, so I turn on a small lamp. About half way through the movie, the light flickers. It was actually raining, so I figured it was lightning or something. No big deal.

An hour or so later, my wife asks, "Is it hot in here?" I don't think so, but I check the thermastat, and sure enough, the temp is actually going up. So, I go check the fuses and yep, the fuse has flipped off. Reset it, and bang! Off it goes again. Crap! So, we suffer all day yesterday with the temp in the house being about 87 degrees with no breeze at all - running 4 fans. Hotter than the blazes of Hell, it was! But no way was I paying another weekend fee to a heating and air guy!

So, we go to bed at 11:30, and at 12:30, I'm still frying from the heat (88* at that time with the windows open and fans blowing like crazy.) Wake up at 6:00 in the morning, and it's a whole 84* - in the house. It's just nasty. I stepped out of the shower and instant sweat - yuck.

So we call the AC guy today, we get lucky and he can come right away and check it out. Come to find out, the compressor in my air conditioner is fried. If you're wondering, compressors in an AC unit are about 900.00 - 1000.00 bucks. Yeah. that number was right - 900.00 - 1000.00 bucks! Then he drops this on me. If you're going to replace the compressor for that much, you may as well just get a new unit (this is the part of the AC that's outside) for 1500.00 because of the age of the unit.

Ok, makes sense. However, the problem with that is, because of the age of the unit, the coil inside might not work, so you'll more than likely have to buy a new indoor unit - total cost?

4000.00 BUCKS! Yeah, I had to clean my pants out also.

I don't have 4000.00 bucks. Well, sort of. A few weeks ago, we had our roof appraised and it was totaled, so I have the money from that (about 3200.oo bucks.) So, no new roof, but new AC unit. Our roof doesn't leak and it's in good shape, as far as I know, so I had to replace the more dire issue.

Good news - he can install the whole thing tomorrow. It'll be an all day thing, but I should have AC tomorrow night. And you can bet, I'll be sucking up every bit of it for 4000.00 bucks.

A month from now, and we wouldn't even need the AC anymore! Go figure, right? So, now, I'm sitting in a hotel room (60 bucks a night for a pretty nice room - being a teacher is cool sometimes!) typing on hotel internet service - my laptop is so cool! Oh, and I'm feeling much cooler right now - I think I'll take a nap, if I can sleep that is.

So, who's hot? 80 bucks for two more fans, 60 bucks for a hotel room for 1 night, 4000 bucks for an AC unit? I'm hot, that's who!

PS. Oh, and I think the heat has fried my 2wire modem at home...so add that to the cost of my AC bill this month.

xtraking
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
63* and rainy...

VS2 King
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow What A Story. Right Now In Pa Its Prolly About In The 70's It was really cold for some reason and it has been raining nonstop for 2 days.

durrell
08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
63* and rainy...

I hate you..90 and clear here right now. :(

Maxx-Damage
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
highest it got up here was 75F. Im not complaining. Down in SC when i was down there for a lil vaction from vaction, it reached 115F! Gram almost put me to work but snuck out of it for a bike ride(im crazy...:dodgy:)

Charfizcool
08-20-2007, 06:57 PM
doesn't get below 90* here in AZ :( at least whenever I'm active...ac ftw

vwjimmy
08-20-2007, 07:12 PM
It was 101* at my service counter this afternoon!!!!
Man, I know what you mean Vike...
...we got really lucky. I mentioned to a friend that our outside unit was really old a few years ago. He sells units to contractors and pointed out that if we didn't replace it that year (2005 I think) that we would have to get a new coil inside because of the new freon required, so we went ahead and bought one and had it installed. I guess I should have spread the word.....
Hang in there Vike

Hossy
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
63* and rainy...

yeah today was really nice.
Actually, a few days ago it was about 70 and no humidity...it was so great.

Later this week its supposed to be about 90.
so much for the good weather

shunut
08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it was around 110* here today, 23% humidity, felt more humid than that though.

pbfreak3221
08-20-2007, 07:42 PM
60 clear

Muddytaco
08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know exact temp but i would say somewhere near fires of hell would some it up pretty good, that is the way it has been here almost all summer.

O and on a side note when I was in kansas last summer the A/C went out where I was staying, it was roughly 3-4 days before they could replace the unit and it was so bad trying to sleep like that, nothing like laying on your bed sweating.