PDA

View Full Version : First day of shadowing

xtraking
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, I am/was aspiring to enter into a dpt program for college. For those who dont know, it stands for doctor of physical therapy.
Today was my first day of shadowing which was scheduled 9-3. Why am i posting during the shift you ask? Ha funny story... :confused:

So its 9 and I meet the PT, very attractive woman and I think, niice. Well she shows me around and takes me to her first patient. He is a 65 year old man who just had open heart surgery.
She takes him to a set of stairs and we do some exercises with him. He almost falls down at the top not good.
We go back into the room, mind you this is about 45 minutes into the work day.

Wellllllll she is showing him how to get into and out of bed. I am standing there just soaking everything in,
and then in a matter of 10 seconds I break into a cold sweat, start to get dizzy, and by the time I ask Lauren (pt) to go out in the waiting room I am white as a ghost.

Embarrassment right? Well not only did she and the ot see me, the rest of the physical therapists, nice young women, got to take a look at me hah.
My blood pressure was 80/33 which is um, very low. Im about to black out and I have no idea what is going on.

Yea this is the first day of my shadowing of a PT and something I was really looking forward too. Ends up I go home around 1030 and yeah I plan on going back tomorrow.

Anything like this happen to anyone before? Haha

Tl;DR= I almost faint while shadowing a PT in front of 15 nice looking women.

paintballkid0206
08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
wow. that must suck.lol

durrell
08-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Did you eat breakfast this morning? Sounds like lack of food or something. I guess you couldn't have been luckier for where it happened..with 15 doctors. :p

Oscum Guy
08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
dude that sux.

xtraking
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Did you eat breakfast this morning? Sounds like lack of food or something. I guess you couldn't have been luckier for where it happened..with 15 doctors. :p
Mhmm those charms weren't so lucky today :( .
I have no idea what was wrong. Not queezy at all, on my Jamaican service trip, I played with a little girl who's left and partially right leg were complete open burns.
The only time I haev felt like this is when i gave blood. So who knows.
I'm going back tomorrow, this should be fun haha.

vikingshadow
08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
103* temp first day of student teaching - in and out of the real world off and on all morning. My cooperative teacher told me to go home and get some rest (it was a Friday) and to show up on Monday.

I know EXACTLY what you're going through, lol!

Paintballadict18
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
today was my first day of school and i sit next to some hot girl in biology but the dumb teacher wouldnt shutup and i had to pee really bad so i didnt get to say hello i have no idea how this relates to u but srry to hear that, better luck tommorow :)

marvin-martian
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
dont worry about it. im sure it was a one time thing and that its all over with.

today was my first day of school and i sit next to some hot girl in biology but the dumb teacher wouldnt shutup and i had to pee really bad so i didnt get to say hello i have no idea how this relates to u but srry to hear that, better luck tommorow :)
ok.

xtraking
08-21-2007, 07:30 PM
I just got back from 13 hours of work. 6:30 at the hospital and then the rest at my work.

Well, the hospital was much better today! No close-to-fainting issues at all.
I was in the CSU, for the first half of the day, which is where patients with cardiac surgeries go immediatly after. I dealt with a lady who had a stroke, cancer, open heart surgery the day before, smoking for 30 years, insane stuff. We got her out of bed and into a chair but it was very very hard. She could wiggle her toes and feet which was great but gets very tired sitting.
We also worked with this one gentlemen and he actually walked 30 ft and then after we were finished he was moved up to the 4th floor which is accute care, but definatly a step up.
I had lunch and heard very very awkward stories haha, but i asked eevryone and they said they love their job everyday... not one person told me they didn't like it which is very reassuring.
After I went with a PTA, we dealt with a few people on the inpatient level and there you see pretty mcuh evrything.

All in all, I'm learning a great deal of information and I haven't even applied to college yet haha. I did not realize that PT's have such intense jobs, like i did not realize they were basically medical doctors. It's crazy but I think I might do this for a career.
I do it again Thursday cus tomorrow is my only day off from work.

Wish me luck!

paintballkid0206
08-21-2007, 07:37 PM
wow. guess it was a one-time deal. thats good

Nenkitsune
08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
So, what did they all do when you nearly blacked out on them? I personally wouldn't mind passing out in front of 15 good looking nurses/doctors ^^

A really cute girl works next door to me!! (I work at starbucks, she works at the tax place) She's 2 years younger than me, meaning, she's partial jailbait still XP
She also lives like, a 5 minute bikeride away, w00t.

calebh
08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
meet my friends mr period ===> . and ms comma ===> ,

:p

this doctor talk gives me house cravings... *goes to watch house*

HelpDeskHustler
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Next time pretend like you are drowning so you can get CPR :up:

Paintballadict18
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
oh no i went to wash my hands slipped on a bar of soap and fell in the sink and now im drowning save me! oh and glad to hear ur second day was better :)

xtraking
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow haha. Im doing it again tomorrow.