PDA

View Full Version : Question... What is the wheel horse power of a...

Ace24
08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
1999 Toyota Camry LE?

My aunt is talking about giving me hers for free with 160k miles on it. (My gf's father is all talk I believe)

160k on a Toyota isn't much at all. It's well maintained too. I was just looking at the options for it and I can make it look pretty sweet for cheap (being import japanese and all).

I was just wondering what the horse power of one was. This one is an automatic so any upgrades (aside from a modified exaust system) would be cosmetic.

leed
08-19-2007, 08:17 PM
3.0L V6 has 194 HP
2.2L DOHC 4 Cylinder puts out 133 HP

I wouldn't bother with cosmetic upgrades.. It's not really worth it IMO. But if you want to, go for it. If you like music, I would go for a nice sound system before cosmetics.

Sucks that your GF's dad is all talk though :shrug:

Ace24
08-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah no kidding... he's really pissing me off. "Your bf didn't call me Mr. Lee today" she said that he said to her.

"He didn't say goodbye today" or "he didn't say hello when he dropped you off" ugh.

He keeps finding reasons not to like me and aparently doesn't like me even more because I'm white. >.< Well I'm sorry Mr. Lee... your Asian daughter likes a white guy. Ugh.

I think it's the V6 because it's the LE and I'm pretty sure it said V6 on the back. Yeah, I'm not going to put alot of cosmetic into it, just new tail lights, and a lip for the bumpers/side skirts. I have two 12" box kicker subs already in a closed box frame ready to be put in my car when I get it. All I need is a amp and someone to hook it up for me. (The car already has a Sony radio)

I was also going to put some 16" black rims on and put a modded exaust... Thats about it. Too bad it's Marroon... :( Wish it was black or silver.

thechubbss12
08-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Heh.. Toyota.... Not my cup of imports.... Honda > All....

IMO if you want to mod the Exhaust... Go with DC Headers and a Greddy catback.... Clean smooth low tone

durrell
08-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Are those horsepower ratings at the crank or the wheel? I HIGHLY doubt you're getting 194HP to the wheel in a Camry..

marvin-martian
08-20-2007, 10:41 AM
i wouldnt even be thinking about hp with a camry. they arent meant to go fast or even look cool. they were built to be a nice 4 door family car, so i would leave it that way.

Critical
08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Those have to be crank. Forget about mods. It's a big car (relatively speaking), heavy, underpowered, and it's an automatic. Tint the windows, drop in a nice stereo and be done. Save your money otherwise, all you'd be doing is throwing away good money, that you won't see any results from.

durrell
08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Those have to be crank. Forget about mods. It's a big car (relatively speaking), heavy, underpowered, and it's an automatic. Tint the windows, drop in a nice stereo and be done. Save your money otherwise, all you'd be doing is throwing away good money, that you won't see any results from.

My thoughts exactly.

Ace24
08-20-2007, 07:43 PM
The car is no where as heavy as my Buick is and the Buick is 174hp and hauls ass.

I'm not looking to make it fast, just sound nice/look nice. They can look nice too.

You can get a good exaust system for VERY cheap.

You guys act like I'm trying to make a car for racing. I'm not stupid. I would never invest the money into a automatic to make it race. I just want nice sound (not a really quiet sounding car.. but a little more sound to the thing without getting a cheap POS can and slapping it on), slap in my kicker subs, put in some nicer tail lights, and put lips on the bumpers/side skirts. If I'm going to be stuck with it for a while, it's going to look decent in my eyes.

I was going to pick up some black 16" rims too. Those would be able to be put on my other car that I would purchase later too...

timmyshoota
08-20-2007, 07:52 PM
:( I've seen what happens when people mod 97-01 Camrys. Please don't.

Ace24
08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
What happens and define mod? Once again, I'm not doing anything with the engine but maintaining it.

timmyshoota
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Ugly wheels, crap exhaust, crap body mods. I see em quite frequently at work, and its sad. They are nice looking cars in stock form, and aren't good for anything but going from point A to point B comfortably. If you want to modify a car, please buy something worth modifying.

Ace24
08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
The thing is, I'm getting it for free. At this point I'm taking what I can get. I need my own car.

I'll just stick to the minor things then. I don't see how wheels will make it look that bad though? Tasteful black rims (nothing really fancy, or large ghetto crap, just something to make it look a little nicer) and tailights.

...and of course the kicker.

marvin-martian
08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
dont put rims on a camry. just dont.

Ace24
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry, but steel rims with hubcaps are not going to go well with me. You have your taste, I have mine. Simple as that.

TheRedBarron
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
This thread isnt about what he is going or isnt going to do to his car he asked for the HP at the front wheels on a Camry.

Ace, to answer your Q you are more than likely going to have to fine a Camry enthusiast, which I doubt will be an easy task as they are not the kind of car that people get enthused over... I question anyone who straps a Camry to a dyno to see the HP...

Personally I wouldnt worry as much about the HP and pimping it out as I would the general upkeep and condition of the car, with that many miles on it (I know you can run them to the ground but still...) you are going to notice small things turning into big things, get your brakes looked at, get your tires rotated, make sure that you have new plugs, change the oil put in a high milage oil, take care of the car and it ill take care of you, throw a system in it, get rims if you want them but honestly it may be a slight waste of cash unless you find a set for really cheap. If you got it running in perfect shape I would then look at the resale... but that is just me.

Ace24
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Well my thoughts were that I could get the rims and put them on my next car as well. Wouldn't just be for this car. I know how to upkeep a car very well and my uncle rebuilds cars, so any major work I need to do can be done in his barn.

It was maintained by my uncle and taken well care of.

I'm just someone who likes to customise everything... even if it isn't practicle and have problems with wasting money on it.

My idea was to have the car for a while, then give it to my sister and get a car of my choice that I can modify and put lots of time into making a fun car to drive.

durrell
08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
The rims are understandable, it's the exhaust and body mods that make no sense. Get some nice rims, tint the windows, and do some sound mods and you're set..anything else is just stupid, IMO.

Ace24
08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I can get an exaust system off of my friend for like $80 (He has a bunch lieing around because he does alot of mods and tunes alot of his cars and friends cars) thats why I was thinking of slapping it on.

The problem with window tinting is NYS is that the front windows can't be tinted, nore can the front driver and passanger windows. So it looks like crap.

Voodoo
08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
rwhp auto = - 19 to 23 % of bhp
rwhp man = - 14 to 19 % pf bhp

HelpDeskHustler
08-22-2007, 04:00 AM
dont put rims on a camry. just dont.

but if you do... make sure they are 24"+ and raise your car rediculously high off the ground so everyone knows that you did it. :dodgy:

Ace24
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I said 16" max or depending on the actual steel rim size/wheel size it might be a little bigger. If I'm correct, the wheel well and stock tires/rims are pretty large.

I'm not a wigger, nore a ghetto/large rim type of person. I hate huge rims on cars/SUV's/trucks.

TheRedBarron
08-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm not a wigger, nore a ghetto/large rim type of person. I hate huge rims on cars/SUV's/trucks.

Wigger is just as bad as the word it represents.

People in the Ghetto dont have rims, the crime lords (Drug dealers, arms dealers, etc.) have cars with rims, todays youth has a huge misunderstanding of the ghetto.

xtraking
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Nice car, i love my toyota. :tup:

Ace24
08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Wigger is just as bad as the word it represents.

People in the Ghetto dont have rims, the crime lords (Drug dealers, arms dealers, etc.) have cars with rims, todays youth has a huge misunderstanding of the ghetto.
That's what they call themselves so that's what I call them. Trust me. I know what the ghetto is. My family owns 4 apt's in the ghetto. I also hate how people like to "dress ghetto." The style of having larger clothing than your body requires is not that of the fashionable. It was because parents didn't have enough money for their childern to keep buying larger clothing as they grew. So they would buy them 2 or 3 sizes larger then the child required... hence the baggy clothing. I guess with some ignorant people it's considered a style.

To each their own, but I don't find it fashionable to have your ass/crotch hanging out of your pants that are sagged down to your knees with your t-shirt hanging over it almost touching your knees because it's too large.

Now that I'm done ranting about the term "ghetto", yes Toyota's are nice cars. Thanks Xtra.