PDA

View Full Version : Which is better: Sonix or MR1?

alienkid51
08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I've paintballed a few times in the past and I want to buy a new gun for not too much money. I want it to be reliable. I play mostly recball and will go several times a year, not every weekend. Basically, just a cool gun to have fun when I decide it's that special day to go paintballing. I play at SC Village mostly and I was wondering what I should get: Sonix 2007 or Mr1? I absolutely don't like speedball really, and scenario play is really fun. A lot of people tell me to go with a Tippmann because they are reliable, but I can't stand them...they are too heavy and too big; I want and small and light gun that I can maneuver pretty easy...so in the end: sonix 2007 or mr1?

alienkid51
08-19-2007, 12:17 AM
i like to play recball (at least I think...) I've paintballed a couple times in the past and I like it a lot. I'm looking in to buying my own gun for not very much money (<150 or so) because I'm not going to be going every weekend, maybe several times a year. I've been told that Tippmann's are reliable and solid guns, but I've played with them and I can't really stand them...too heavy and too big...(i.e. long and cumbersome). At my local Big5/Walmart, I can buy a brand new spyder sonix 2007 with a mask, hopper and 20 oz co2 tank for 100 bucks altogether. At walmart I can buy the spyder mr1 for 100 bucks just by itself. Which gun do you think would be a better buy for me? P.S. I have tried speedball and I'm not terribly fond of it...I prefer scenario play and I don't want a huge hulking beast

bamf-hacker
08-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Really it is six of one and half dozen of the other.

Both are great markers and internally are pretty much the same.

Do you have a PB store near you? If so go there and hold them and see which one feels better for you.

You did not mention a budget, but remember there a few other mandatory purchases with your new marker.

Goggles, tank and loader. Most stores will have a package deal with those things, but know you get what you pay for and could make an other wise great day of paintball horrible.

With all that said get the one you like the feel of best.

Again welcome to the forums and ask any questions you may have.

vikingshadow
08-19-2007, 04:15 AM
^^^^^ I agree with what Dan said.

However, I would like to add that since you said you want a small, light gun you would probably prefer the Sonix, since I've heard on these forums that the MR series, with full tank and loader, gets pretty heavy.

Outside of that, determine your budget, what the "look" is that you want, if you have the other necessary items (tank, loader, mask) and go the shop to hold them and decide what you like the best.

TheRedBarron
08-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I moved your other question to this thread, you really shouldnt ask the sam question in more than one thread, not to mention you asked this one in a rules thread that the administration had made, those threads are more or less closed to discussion, thank you.

Maxx-Damage
08-19-2007, 05:22 AM
MR series guns are heavy, after a few months of playing though ur arms will be stronger. But they are good guns. Spyders are very reliable, just oil em up, clean em ever 2 games(atleast) and dont use cruddy paint.

But as u said u dont want a heavy gun, go for the sonix or vs1.

alienkid51
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
well my price range is under 150. i can buy a new sonix 2007 with mask and hopper and 20 oz c02 for 100 bucks all together @ big 5 near my house. i can buy a spyder mr1 without anything (just the gun) for 100 @ walmart, and i dont have any of the goodies; i need a mask, hopper, tank, etc. yea i've held both guns and i really like both of them especially the stock on the mr1...its so comfortable and works well. but i think i will go with the sonix 2007. btw i can also get a sonix pro for the same price (with all of the other goodies like mask and hopper and co2...100 bucks)...are there any differences between the sonix pro and sonix 2007 and if so, which gun should i go with (remember im a n00b and i just want to have fun...not to become a professional player)

Kenny_McCormic
08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
the sonix pro doesnt have a derlin bolt and the spyder design really needs one to prevent the receiver from excessive wear the pro also has an odd grip that you cant get new grips for. Go with the 07 maintenance is easier and it will last longer.

Tito=PBL
08-19-2007, 06:58 PM
i would go with the sonix... its a good gun. my brother has one and its nice.

Ace24
08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Personally, I like the MR1. It depends on what your looking for. Woodsball/Scenario or Speedball. Speedball, the Sonix is lighter, looks the part more, and is set up better for.

Woodsball/Scenario goes to the MR1/MR series. They are very expandable with rails and such and have alot of milsim options.

alienkid51
08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
i know the mr1 has a removable stock...do you guys think that i could play speedball with it if i was inclined (since it makes the gun much smaller and more maneuverable)?

bamf-hacker
08-20-2007, 04:34 AM
You can play speedball with any marker out there. It is not the marker that makes the game but the player. Look at the pump players, they are just as deadly with their one shot as the 15bps ropes from the semis.

Maj_Paint
08-20-2007, 07:38 AM
I personally have the '07 Sonix. Its a really good marker. I dont have any complaints except that upgrades are a little hard to find for it. Other than that it's ready out of the box with little adjustment needed.

DotP
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree with the general consensus on this thread. I came on the forums a few weeks ago with the question of which marker I should start out with as well. I was looking at the Sonix hard as well. I was also considering the Spyder Vs1. I play speedball so I wasn't looking at the MR series of markers. But, I have heard that they arn't all too nice, as in breakable. So anyway, I recommend the Spyder Sonix. Good luck, tell us which you choose! And welcome to the forums.

alienkid51
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
i went out and bought the sonix 2007 (grey/titanium)...thanks for all your help guys :)...btw is anyone going to decay of nations @ sc village on saturday/sunday 8/25 and 8/26?