PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Pilot ACS

sonix9
08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I have ordered a new Pilot ACS and was curious about it. I have been reading a lot of reviews online and some say that it is a piece of garbage and it has always has problems. These get me worried about what I am buying. Others say that it is a great gun and it works perfectly fine. I was just wondering if you could give me youir opinion or personal stories on the gun. Thanks.

oldironmudder
08-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Anything will be a piece of crap if you dont maintain it. Its a great marker to start off with. My wife loves hers & only thing done to it is the trigger adjustments.

bamf-hacker
08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
:yeahthat:

A Pilot is a great marker. Read the manual and ask questions if you have them.

As long as you are nice to your marker it will be fine for years to come.

and Welcome to SOC!

fwgericke
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
The ACS was my first marker, and its awesome, just gotta make sure you look after it, my mate got one the same time as me, and he never looks after his and its given him problems from the word go, so as everyone says, look after it and it'll look after you

GOOD LUCK!!

sonix9
08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Thank you for all of your help. By taking care of it do you mean like cleaning and oiling? And what parts on the gun need to be oiled?

Kenny_McCormic
08-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Cleaning and oiling is VERY simple all you must do is remove the back plug and pull the bolt pin out to remove the bolt and striker. Run a swab through the top tube to remove any paint from chops. Oil the striker and put it back together. Then you put 5 drops of oil in the asa and dry fire with no barrel for 50 shots then the gun is all clean and lubed. This should be done every 2000 rounds or day of play whichever comes first.

Bilbo
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I've had one for just over a year now. I like pretty much everything about it except the tendency for the cocking knob to fly off. Mine stayed on just fine until around the year mark. In hindsight, I should have just bought a rear-cocking bolt.
Be sure to break in the ACS spring (there are a lot of posts on this forum about how to do that). I kinda blew it off when I read about it, but when I got chops I did it. If you are used to using a gravity hopper you can still do so with the Pilot, but you do run an increased risk of chops unless you don't shoot very fast. I am not a fast shooter by any stretch, but I still could outshoot a gravity hopper with the pilot, and that led to a few chops. If yo use the burst or auto settings, you most assuredly will chop, ACS bolt or no. Once I broke in the ACS and got an agitated hopper, I never had a chop again, except with very old white-box paint.
A lot of people recommend a new barrel. I never got one, but I can tell you the stock barrel isn't the greatest. It isn't bad, but there are better.
All in all, a great start into the lower end of high-end markers (if that makes any sense at all). Dollar for dollar, the Pilot is one of the best markers out there.

paintballkid0206
08-17-2007, 06:44 PM
not to start flaming or anything, but i advise that you should ask before you buy. i personally love mine. very good for the price, ewasy to maintain. i could go on and on. just ask me if you want me to. lol

Bilbo
08-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I forgot to add: definitely consider getting new grips. That is one thing about the Pilot that really stinks. The grips don't enclose the electronics and battery well, leaving gaps for water and/or dirt to get it. I bought Dye sticky grips, and really like them a lot.

Nuwwave
08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I would say top 3 ups you are going to want to get are:

1. Feedneck - The stock feedneck is good, but requires a cheap adapter that breaks easily and holds our hopper way high.

2. Electronic Hopper - If you want to shoot fast, you will need at least and agitating hopper. If you want a force feed hopper (best way to go), you are going to have to spend a little more. Or you can get a VL Force Hopper (force feed but no eyes) for about $30.

3. Barrel - The stock barrel is ok, but loud and not very accurate. I suggest a J&J Ceramic.

I am sure everyone else on here has a different opinion than me, but they didn't offer it so I did.

After these thing, it is a matter of prefernce. Grips and such.

sonix9
08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Also, I know that there are a lot of these on the forums and I have read most of them, but I want to know what is the best way of breaking in the ACS bolt, or the spring. I do not want to waste my CO2 by dry firing an entire tank while stopping it with something in the feedneck. I do not mind taking the spring out and squeezing it a million times, but I want to know if there is an easier or better way. I read somewhere that you can just leave it cocked for a night or two. Will this work? Or what is the best way without wasting my CO2?

Kenny_McCormic
08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
cock gun
put something in feedneck
uncock gun
leave it alone for a few days and see how it works then

Nuwwave
08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Or you can take your barrel off, and compress the bolt with a pencil.

sonix9
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
cock gun
put something in feedneck
uncock gun
leave it alone for a few days and see how it works then

What do i need to put in the feedneck, like a stick or something? And by uncock do you mean shoot?

oldironmudder
08-19-2007, 04:28 PM
A dowel rod or anything thats about .5" & several inchs tall.

Kenny_McCormic
08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
by uncock i mean shoot but hold onto the bolt pin and let it go slowly

Bilbo
08-20-2007, 04:38 AM
I broke in the bolt by taking it out and putting a 1-foot dowel inside. Then I put the dowel against the floor and pushed the bolt onto it over and over to compress the spring. Did that for about an hour (not nonstop, just about 20 times a minute).
I have heard others say you can just compress the spring and let it sit that way, but unless Spyder springs are made differently from any other spring these days, that doesn't do anything to weaken the spring. Only cheap springs on things like toys are made that way. The only way to weaken a good spring is to cycle it over and over. Each time you are breaking microscopic bonds in the metal, causing gradual weakening.
Of course, if it isn't chopping, you can just go out and play. There are plenty of people who don't ever have to break in their ACS spring.

Raiderz628
09-02-2007, 05:58 PM
The Pilot is a good marker i have one with a fasta hopper stronger spring and a JJ ceramics barrel and it works good. Just make sure to clean it after every use and it will be fine