PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Flossie

badlandsrox
08-14-2007, 12:53 AM
So apparently theres a hurricane heading for the hawaiian islands, supposed to hit tommorow night in hilo on the island of hawaii, although some of the effects of the storm will be felt throughout the chain of islands, or possibly may change course, meaning more of a hit to the other islands, the latter meaning i may not be on for awhile due to the fact my condo is right on the coast of maui. so anyone know any tips on what to do in the event that the hurricane does come anywhere close?:confused:

big_daddy_d
08-14-2007, 01:36 AM
bro I'm on oahu and they are forecasting that it won't come near the islands... Just get enough bottled water,canned meat, and batteries to last a few days if power does happen to go out... I've ridden out many hurricanes and typhoons and honestly don't feel there is much to worry about this one ;)

marvin-martian
08-14-2007, 07:35 AM
what are hurricanes called in the pacific? are they still hurricanes, or are they typhoons, or monsoons ?

durrell
08-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Cyclones I thought?

HelpDeskHustler
08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
A cyclone is a low pressure atmospheric mass. In the northern hemisphere they rotate counterclockwise. A high pressure mass is called an anticyclone and rotates clockwise. Cyclone refers to any counterclockwise storm, tornado, hurricane or typhoon.

Hurricanes and typhoons are the same animal depending on where you live. In the Atlantic (and often the North American Pacific coast, where they are quite rare) they are called hurricanes. Everywhere else in the world they are called typhoons.

A monsoon is generally just more than normal wind speeds that causes heavy rain. A monsoon is generally just a heavy tropical thunderstorm marked by seasonality, generally there is no full cyclone that marks a hurricane.

marvin-martian
08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
thank you mr wiki!

Theheroguy
08-14-2007, 07:54 AM
claus beat me on this one but the next round is mine

marvin-martian
08-14-2007, 07:55 AM
good luck with that

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

Please try again in 1 seconds.

screw you