PDA

View Full Version : First marker questions

DotP
08-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Greetings. I am DotP, and I am new to the forums. I came here looking for advice on many things that I would like to know before starting to play paintball.
First would be the most basic question: Which marker should I get? I've been eyeing the Spyder VS1 and the Spyder Sonix. However, I've had my local shop push the Tippmann 98c real hard and I've gotten suggestions for everything from an Ion (which I am loath to get) to an Angel 1. I have only $400 to spend on a marker, and I can only get odd jobs during the winter, spring, and sumer breaks from school.
My question is, what marker is best for a beginner who is thinking of playing mid or front? I would appreciate suggestions as to upgrades as well. Thank you in advance.

Charfizcool
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
no to the VS1 and Sonix get a VS2. tippman 98c =/= speedball marker so no to that to. I say either a NIB VS2 or a used gun from the forums because their are some smokin' deals here.

shunut
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
First of all, Welcome to the Forum.

I think if I were you I'd start out with one of the VS series markers. I think you will get the most for your money going that way and its not an Ion. Spyders are great markers, just make sure you clean and lube them after each. Cleaning and lubing them is pretty easy. Taking Spyders apart is pretty simple once you do it a couple times. Plus you have the help of everyone on this forum, which I might add, is the greatest forum on the web. Good luck!

DotP
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Although a VS2 would be nice, I hear that even if it can run Co2, the Co2 does not let it run at it's full potential. And I do not think I can afford compressed air for long. Besides, I wouldn't be able to upgrade it if I need to save up for air, right?
Thank you for the warm welcome shunut. If you suggest the VS series, do you suggest the VS2 as well?

shunut
08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
You can get a used HPA tank for fairly cheap. You can get and little steel HPA tank new for like $60 on Action Village. HPA is better for and markers, not just the VS2.

DotP
08-13-2007, 08:25 PM
As I am begining, I still have yet to buy a mask, hopper, tank, or marker. Although it would be nice to buy all this stuff; would I be able to buy paintballs and fill up my tank?
Second question: Is the Viewloader eVLution 3 hopper any good?

shunut
08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Filling up the tank should be cheap. Out here it only costs $1 per 1000psi to fill an HPA tank.

The eVLution 3, aka Eggy, is a good hopper.

DotP
08-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Thank you for your feedback. The VS2 with the Compressed air tank and all the other stuff a newbie needs fits closely with my budget. My major concern is that I will be out of money for paint before long.
Is the VS2 good even if kept at stock? And how is the shape of the infinity trigger better than a standard double trigger (or is it not the shape at all?)? Does the barrel need immediate swapping? Is N2 the same as compressed air? Is HPA compressed air? Just double checking.Thank you for answering my questions.

Griff
08-13-2007, 09:20 PM
N2, compressed air, hpa mean the same thing now. N2 stands for Nitrogen used at one time now only compresed air. HPA: High Pressure Air
As for the trigger it has 3 was to adjust, with out taking your marker apart.
stock barell is desent.
VS2 190
steel HPA 3000psi 45ci 60
hopper 70
Mask (Thermal) help with fogging 40
total 360

DotP
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you Griff. But I thought that the Vs1 had a 3 way adjustable trigger as well... Still, thank you for the estimation for the costs for the stuff.
I have another question about electronic markers: are dead, broken, or otherwise incapacitated solenoids the end of the world? Because I would hate to have to replace the marker itself, if that happened. Where is the soleniod anyway? In the grip? I'm beginning to think about taking this train of thought to the Vs2 forums... I would still like alternative marker ideas, because I would like free life time service for my marker.

oldironmudder
08-14-2007, 05:57 AM
I have another question about electronic markers: are dead, broken, or otherwise incapacitated solenoids the end of the world?

Far from the end of the world. I havent seen one just go out & Ive been messing with Kingman Eframes since they came out. If something does happen to mess up we (SOC) are more than willing to help. Also all dealings with kingman Ive had we great! So I would worry to much about parts wearing out.

NeedForSpeed
08-14-2007, 06:00 AM
As long as you take care of your marker, your solenoid will last a very very long time. I've never seen a kingman solenoid busted.

VS2 - $175 from actionvillage.
Or, use ebay power sellersthat sell new ones like this auction here (http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-SPYDER-VS-2-PAINTBALL-MARKER-GUN-SILVER-VS2-VS-2_W0QQitemZ130141649974QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47253QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Right now it's still at $90 with only 10 hours left!

Mask - $25-$80
This all depends on how much you want to spend. Any thermal lensed mask will do for now.

HpA- $60 Your field has all day air right? You can get a DXS tank for $60.

Hopper - $60 You can get an evolution for about that price or find a used hopper

With that, you'll still have about $100 left over to get out there and play. Good luck!

applesauce
08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-VS-Series-VS2-EYE-Electronic-Paintball-Gun-Combo_W0QQitemZ130141065503QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4724 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that should solve your problem

xSoulsx
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
As long as you take care of your marker, your solenoid will last a very very long time. I've never seen a kingman solenoid busted.

VS2 - $175 from actionvillage.
Or, use ebay power sellersthat sell new ones like this auction here (http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-SPYDER-VS-2-PAINTBALL-MARKER-GUN-SILVER-VS2-VS-2_W0QQitemZ130141649974QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47253QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

Yes. ^ I have bought a BRAND NEW VS2 from the guy ^^^^ ($140) Very cheap and perfect condition.

Definently go with the VS2.

And a V-Force Vantage mask $25. Looks great feels great and vert cheap

DotP
08-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Thank you all for your input. I am happy to say that you've all convinsed me to buy the Vs2. Thank you for the ebay link, NeedForSpeed, but I like the idea of supporting my local paintball stores. Besides, free lifetime service sounds nice :). The asking price wasn't too far from most internet prices anyway. Thank you all for your help. I will definatly come here if I have any questions about my new Vs2. And as I continue on playing, I hope I can help other new paintballers who have the same questions as I did.

SupaSnipa
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Is the VS2 good even if kept at stock?

Yes as a matter of fact it is! I have a VS2 that is stock except for a 14" Linear barrel and it totally wins over a stock Ion.

DotP
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I've heard this argument before. Please tell me why a stock Vs2 wins over a stock Ion. I really don't understand. Although I've already ordered a Vs2 from my local paintball shop, tell me what qualities make the Vs2 superior to the Ion. All the people at my local shop were pushing the Ion real hard, and the price was the same at $180...

Kenny_McCormic
08-15-2007, 07:50 PM
ION=SMART PARTS
MOST PEOPLE=SPYDER HATING SMART PARTS FANBOYS
The ion has a slightly better stock board but maintaining one is a PITA. VS2 you just put some oil in the asa oil you striker and run a squeegee through the top tube if it chopped anything and your done and the bolt falls out by simply pulling a pin the striker comes out by removing one screw. An ION has to be fully disassembled just to access the bolt which involves the removal of several screws and delicate pneumatic fittings. The vs2 is more efficient and has more speed potential than an ion.

DotP
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Hmm... Ok, so easier cleaning and air efficiency? I really don't care about everyone else, or fan boys. I don't care about how cool I look or how many people laugh at me, I just want the best marker that I can get for $400 so I can sling some paint! (Besides, I'm thinking about upgrading that stock barrel with a Smart Parts All-American)
Question to Mods (or anyone who can answer them) : I can talk about other brands other than Kingman in the forums right? I wouldn't want to commit a faux pas....

Kenny_McCormic
08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes you can talk about non kingman stuff here.

oldironmudder
08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I just want the best marker that I can get for $400 so I can sling some paint!

Just go with a good priced marker that has an aftermarket following. Do some research on the parts. If a local field or store will let you test barrel or bolts do that.

Ace24
08-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I just PMed you with an offer that might help you with your $400 spending limit. :)

Oscum Guy
08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
you should go with a used 2k2 timmy (intimidator). they go for about $200 used and are great guns. any timmy will shoot ropes and the only matenance you need is to lube the ram every 2 cases and lube the lpr (low pressure regualator) and reg piston about every 10 cases. an intimidator has an advantage over a vs2 because it is electropneumatic and a vs2 is a blowback. that means that there is a low pressure regulator that feeds a solenoid that directs air into 2 ports in the ram housing to propel the ram back and forth. this method is much more efficient than a blowback sear tripper, and also creates less kick. older intimidators were designed form spyders and will last you a verrry long time. thats why there are so many 2k2's still around. the board also has more features like nice tourney modes as apposed to the vs2's 25 capped semi and 3 burst (who uses that?).

mv540
08-16-2007, 05:10 PM
. Although I've already ordered a Vs2 from my local paintball shop, $180...

He already bought his gun...:)

Though I think you will be just fine with your vs2.