PDA

View Full Version : Spam!!

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Im tired of running across those spam threads for those little blue pills & their knock offs. This is far from the place that stuff should be found since there are so many young folks on here.

Could there be a verfiy thing when you open an account? Those kind where you have a photo with letters & numbers that you have to type in if those post are from bots.

But if its an actual person signing up & posting like normal couldnt those words be filtered & a flag thrown to not post the post & ban the person?

Just trying to help out a bit. :p

wylde01
08-13-2007, 09:57 AM
something really does need to be done but i think that it is harder than what we want it to be.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I know it would be hard but dont you think it would be worth it in the end?

wylde01
08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
yes. i would love to get on and not see spam. its just a waste of time looking at.

NeedForSpeed
08-13-2007, 10:09 AM
yes. i would love to get on and not see spam. its just a waste of time looking at.

eehhh..the titles usually say it all, so there no point in ever looking at it and posting in it. That times on you.

I totally agree with oldiron. It is getting real old and is really unattracting for the forums. Could something be doen about this?

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
plus it wastes those few nano seconds when i hit the new post button.

Oscum Guy
08-13-2007, 10:25 AM
well there is a verify thing when signing up for forums.

marvin-martian
08-13-2007, 10:30 AM
i honestly havent seen any here...

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Here (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12545) is the new one that sparked this post but Ive seen several in the past few weeks.

durrell
08-13-2007, 10:37 AM
It's not as easy as you guys think it is. We already have a system where the administrator has to allow or deny new members. The problem is some of the spam accounts are less obvious than others.

I'm also fairly certain the newer versions of vBulletin probably have better spam protection, but we can't seem to get any help with updating the software. So we're doing the best we can.

Like marv said, though, I can't remember in recent memory a post that has been on longer than an hour or so at the most that was spam..I thought the Mod team was doing a pretty good job..but eh, guess I was wrong. :confused:

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Dont get me wrong about this but their doing a mighty fine job. Maybe its the short temper from lack of sleep, who knows. :p

NeedForSpeed
08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Yea, you guys are doing a great job, I myself wasn't sure if anything could be done. With the information you just provided Durrell, I now understand.

but let me reiterate something for all those reading that continue to do so

DON'T POST IN SPAM THREADS
just hit the report post in the upper right corner.

Drefish99
08-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Ok. Let me try and make this as simple as I can. The process goes like this. nonmember decides he doesn't want to lurk any more or wishes to post on the forums so he/she applies for an account. They go through the email process and it goes to an admin for membership approval. Once the admin approves the membership the member can now post on the forums. Now.... Multiply this by 20 to 30 memberships and keep in mind 10 to 15 of those are bots designed by spammers to target vBulletin type message boards and you will get these types of threads. We are trying to be diligent and get all of them and quite frankly I am surprised not that many have gotten through but the naming scheme is difficult to tell who is a spammer and who is a valid person trying to get membership.

This is where you guys come in. From that post that oldironmudder linked no one seems to have reported it. Yes we have this thread to discuss it but I have not gotten any notifications that it is even there. We as your moderators need your help. With a lot of us doing many things other than surfing Kingmans web forum we need you guys to report these threads when they come and DO NOT post in them. Posting in them just perpetuates their life and keeps them on the first page. Report the thread and move on.

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 10:48 AM
wheres the report button?

EDIT: opps, sorry I found it. SOrry again. But will do on the report thing.

NeedForSpeed
08-13-2007, 10:50 AM
upper right hand corner of each post. That little triangle warning thing.

I'm pretty sure I hit the warn button to that recent spam thread. I guess it didn't go through? weird...

vikingshadow
08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm, during the summer, I get on maybe 3-5 times during the day. This one must have slipped by me this time...

Yeah, I think it's pretty much a non issue so long as no one posts in it. It cracks me up when people post in those threads call a BOT names and such - all they're doing is yelling at dead air and keeping the thread alive. We try pretty hard to keep this place clean - and believe it or not, it's pretty close to a full time job at times!

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
you guys don't have to block teh (good) pron bots... we won't tell :dodgy:

Drefish99
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
you guys don't have to block teh (good) pron bots... we won't tell :dodgy:

We give you guys just enough time to view them to your enjoyment which is only a few seconds. :p

marvin-martian
08-13-2007, 12:33 PM
ouch...

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
We give you guys just enough time to view them to your enjoyment which is only a few seconds. :p
I'm pretty desensitized after sticking around small talk after dark.

durrell
08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty desensitized after sticking around small talk after dark.

That's the truth..that's why I don't go into ST..haha.

And I have my Gmail account linked to the forums so anytime something is reported in my section, it pops up in my Gmail Notifier and I take care of it. We're always watching, you guys just don't know it. :cool:

Oscum Guy
08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Ok. Let me try and make this as simple as I can. The process goes like this. nonmember decides he doesn't want to lurk any more or wishes to post on the forums so he/she applies for an account. They go through the email process and it goes to an admin for membership approval. Once the admin approves the membership the member can now post on the forums. Now.... Multiply this by 20 to 30 memberships and keep in mind 10 to 15 of those are bots designed by spammers to target vBulletin type message boards and you will get these types of threads. We are trying to be diligent and get all of them and quite frankly I am surprised not that many have gotten through but the naming scheme is difficult to tell who is a spammer and who is a valid person trying to get membership.

This is where you guys come in. From that post that oldironmudder linked no one seems to have reported it. Yes we have this thread to discuss it but I have not gotten any notifications that it is even there. We as your moderators need your help. With a lot of us doing many things other than surfing Kingmans web forum we need you guys to report these threads when they come and DO NOT post in them. Posting in them just perpetuates their life and keeps them on the first page. Report the thread and move on.
forgot about the repot button lol.

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
That's the truth..that's why I don't go into ST..haha.

And I have my Gmail account linked to the forums so anytime something is reported in my section, it pops up in my Gmail Notifier and I take care of it. We're always watching, you guys just don't know it. :cool:
We had to get rid of a tree and get curtains because they really were "always watching"

wylde01
08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
so thats the strange noise i hear outside of my house at night???

Tito=PBL
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
i havent seen any spam threads.? how will i know if a thread is a spam or not?

oldironmudder
08-13-2007, 08:31 PM
the last two were for those little blue pills old farts use :p

Theheroguy
08-14-2007, 06:07 AM
I never see any spam
but this place is alot better than pbn

marvin-martian
08-14-2007, 06:37 AM
the last two were for those little blue pills old farts use :p
if only gunney were still around...