PDA

View Full Version : I think I killed my computer

shunut
08-11-2007, 03:49 PM
My computer only had 512mb of RAM so I decided to upgrade. I ordered 2gb of new RAM (2 x 1gb). I got it today, installed it, now my computer doesn't work. Specifically my monitor will not come on. I've tried multiple monitors and monitor cables with no luck. I put the old RAM cards back in and the monitor still doesn't work. The RAM I purchased I know is compatible with my motherboard, so that can't be the problem, especially if I put the old RAM back in and it still doesn't work. I have run out of ideas. I've checked all the connections and nothing seems to be loose. I thought maybe its the video card, but my video card is integrated into my motherboard. Any ideas?

TheRedBarron
08-11-2007, 04:13 PM
It could still be the video section of the chipset, I would buy a cheap vid card and toss it in see what happens

HelpDeskHustler
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
only 512 :dodgy: im rollin on 128.

I'd make sure nothing came loose or got pinched when you took apart the case.

durrell
08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Catch me on AIM when you can and I'll try to tell you a few things to check.

UKwithPride
08-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Did you try a different computer on the monitor or a different monitor on the computer?

durrell
08-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Did you try a different computer on the monitor or a different monitor on the computer?

He switched back to old RAM and it worked. So it's not the monitor.

HeadShot
08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
ooooohhhhh, sounds like static discharge boom boom. did ya ground your self befor tuching your computer. also unpluging it and pressing the power to completely de-energize it befor working on it. all ya need to do befor working on it is to de-energize it and then ground yourself to the case. thats how I "accidentaly" f'd up a laptop.

you could have zaped something.

or the ram is in wrong.

If you put any hardware on a motherboard incorrectaly all you will see at start up is a black screen of death.

oh...are you sure your motherboard can handle 2 gb of ram. that could also be a problem. on my comp I can only have a max of 1.24 Gb any more and my comp will not work. ie black screen of death.

also you could try cleaning the connectors with asopropyl alcohol and q-tips. alcohol dose not damage electronics. and the q-tips fit anywere.
And dust bunnies could make a problem with arcing..you could try using some air to blow it out..

durrell
08-11-2007, 09:59 PM
lol, I can't tell you how many times I've worked on my computer with it still plugged in.

He got it working with the old RAM so I really don't think he zapped anything.

Nader
08-12-2007, 12:46 AM
im going with bad/wrong ram on this one.

Nenkitsune
08-12-2007, 01:00 AM
I wonder if 2gigs is too much for his motherboard. That, or the ram is DOA

shunut
08-12-2007, 06:57 AM
According to the specs on my computer it can handle up to 4gb of RAM. I did extensive research on RAM before I bought it. I did a scan of my computer on Crucial's website and then bought the RAM that they suggested from New Egg. My mom got it to work by just messing around with it so there must be a bad connection somewhere. When she got it working it was with the old RAM so I tried the new RAM 1 more time and I'm back to the same problem. Well, almost. I had the computer powered up and I was messing with the connections inside the computer and accidentally stuck my thumb in the cooling fan, so now I need a new one of those (fan, not thumb ;)). I'm going to go get the fan later and mess around with it some more with the new RAM. If I can't get it to work, I'm going to throw the old stuff back in it and see if I can get it to work with that. If I can I'm going to send the RAM back and get a refund.

:headbrick: :cussing: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :flame: :cloud:

Oscum Guy
08-12-2007, 07:01 AM
im going to resist saying what some of you know i would say.

you killed the cooling fan just by sticking you thumb in it?:confused:

shunut
08-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Say it, won't hurt my feelings.

Oscum Guy
08-12-2007, 07:04 AM
well now that you fixed the problem it wouldnt make much sense to say it.

i was going to say "you might want to check the flux capacitor" but yeah.

shunut
08-12-2007, 07:08 AM
LOL, that helps because its got me pretty pissed off that I try to replace the RAM, which should be a simple task, and now my computer doesn't work. Luckily my mom is a programmer and we have loads of unused computers. I'm on her Sony Vaio laptop and I'm kind of starting to like it.

And yes, I killed the cooling fan by sticking my thumb in it. It still works and will still spin but I cracked a couple of the blades and now it is almost as loud as a jet.

durrell
08-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I'd try swapping it out for new RAM, you might be one of the very few people to receive DOA RAM..haha.

HelpDeskHustler
08-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I've heard of quite a few DOA ram from newegg, especailly some of the cheaper brands.

shunut
08-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think it was a cheap brand, it is made by Crucial. Anyway, I got my computer working again on the old RAM and will return the new RAM for a refund or exchange, not sure which yet.

HelpDeskHustler
08-13-2007, 04:39 AM
I've always thought of OCZ as a pretty good memory company, and I haven't heard of any of their good stuff coming in DOA, that would be someone I'd recommend, but I don't really know the ins and outs of RAM, so I'm not sure who is good or not, just that I know one company that isn't bad.

Nenkitsune
08-13-2007, 07:22 AM
mmmm ocz is a gamers wet dream

Go with ocz, but on newegg, make sure you look at the reviews and buy the best type. Otherwise you'll get doa sticks again ^^

shunut
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I found out what was wrong with the other RAM. It was high density RAM and my motherboard only excepts low density. I had never heard of high and/or low density RAM. When I purchased my memory before, I looked at Crucial's site and then bought what they suggested off of NewEgg, well at least I thought I did. NewEgg let me return and exchange the other RAM for something different, something that would work with my computer. So I made sure I used NewEgg's tool that tells you what memory to get. Then I double checked it with the manufacturer's tool on their site. I received my new RAM today and voilà, it works. I did read a lot of reviews and followed your suggestions of OCZ. I got a 2gb kit of OCZ Platinum Series PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM. So far it works great and my computer is acting like it drank a case of Red Bull.