PDA

View Full Version : GOOD movies?

HelpDeskHustler
08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
So i know some people's standard of a "good" movie is set at anything that makes them laugh or go "oo explosions" but is there anything you really regarded as a good movie because the story was compelling, and thought provoking, rather than just audio/visual/emotional stimulation?Some of my favorites were:

V for Vendetta
The Matrix
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Children of Men

what are your favorites?

oldironmudder
08-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Some of the "based on real events" are pretty good. Didnt really like any of the comic/book movies but lord of the rings was pretty dang good. Those off the wall ones, like spur of the moment idea while sitting in a bar are nice & different.

HelpDeskHustler
08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
LOTR was pretty good, and I'd put that above par because it had a good story, but not much of it really required some reflection, I mean, like V for Vendetta questioned our political fears, he matrix had a surreal questioning of reality mixed with some god tie in's in later episodes. I liked the matrix revolutions because it was sort of an epic, with a ties to good and evil, but not many more questions were asked the viewer as the original. see what I mean?

Hoppy11
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
The Island is one of my favorite movies.

The Matrix and LOTR were both good.

The Departed is also high on my list.

The new Borne movie looks fricken awesome and I hear it was awesome so that will prolly make my list with the other two.

And then there is quite a bit more, but those are the major ones.

Kenny_McCormic
08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Idiocracy

vikingshadow
08-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, I'm one of those guys who goes to the movies just to be entertained. Not looking for any messages, or any hidden subtext - just good ol' fun. (Real life is too full of hidden subtext and messages and meanings. Why go to watch someone else's?)

Anywho, with that in mind I was really entertained, and had some thought provoking moments with a couple of them as well, by:

Highlander
Back to the Future (the first one only - although I liked all three)
The Karate Kid (I was the same age as Ralph Macchio's character when this came out, so it was sort of like I was in it...)
The Matrix
Braveheart
Gladiator
Spring Break (Cheezy, but rent it. You'll see why! I was in college at the time as well...)
The Last Dragon (The one with Bruce LeRoy - yeah, again Cheezy, but I loved it!)

Pretty much any decent SciFi movie - it makes me think about what could happen in the future and if I'll be around to see any of it happen.

I guess I'll have to watch V for Vendetta again - I didn't really get anything out of it and wasn't entertained much by it either....

Paradox313
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
The New Jersey Saga, AKA Kevin Smith's Movies. ( I've always loved his witty, quick humor.)
All the Pauly Shore movies. (Yes even Jury Duty)
Donnie Darko (Awesome flik, I thought it was going to be a teen slasher movie).
Fight Club (Fighting, Bombs, Alternate Personalities, Meatloaf, c'mon what's not to like?)
Tenacious D, and the Pick of Destiny (It's just funny.)

I'm just a movie lover, I have so many movies I absolutely LOVE! These are just some off the top of my head.

marvin-martian
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
the mothman prophecies
a beautiful mind
lucky number slevin
fight club
saving private ryan
gladiator
office space
the breakfast club

of course in no particular order...

and i didnt really like vendetta. i could see the message they were going to send way too early in the movie, and i didnt really like the message that much, so that made me even more mad.

durrell
08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
Live Free or Die Hard
Die Hard 1
The Patriot

Several more, those are the top 5. I'm sure The Bourne Ultimatum will probably be number 1 soon. I've heard it's the best action movie in years. I can't wait to see it.

HelpDeskHustler
08-09-2007, 04:56 AM
some good ones I missed. in durrell and marv's posts. Bourne stuff and a beautiful mind.

ah also time machine, that was pretty good... but i had trouble believing the "time lapse" thing where he couldn't prevent his GF from dying because that was his motivation to build the machine... I mean, he could change what inspires him to do that by like talking to himself or sending a letter couldn't he?
sorry if i ruined the first 30 minutes, of this slow but very interesting movie.

Marv, I know what you mean... the wich. Bros sorta pushed v for vendetta with a strong political message that did translate into something half of the people didn't believe in but i thought the theme of fear of change combined with conspiracy manipulation told a good story. A movie that was a little less preachy and and slightly more action was the flop "equilibrium" and I think some of the politics in V are what made it much better... besides the fact that it had better actors.

hoppy, i did like departed, but i was kinda thrown off at the end, a big shocker. Definately a step above the others in story telling, and twists.

badlandsrox
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
The Italian Job

paintballkid0206
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
i like basically and comedy or action. I also like movies that are based on a real story like ones about the twin towers.

Nintendo
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
missing three of my favorite movies ever
Sin city
Super troopers

Theheroguy
08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
the bourne ultimatum
the power of one
good starwars trilogy
(geez you guys took most of mine)
I know theres some others I can't think of