PDA

View Full Version : Drilling for a Guage?

Nuwwave
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Has anyone drilled their VA to install a guage?

Any pointers?

I don't have a guage port on my Reg!

I have a 1/8"-27 NPT thread Irwin brand tap and the requireed "Q" bit.

Just looking for some advice before I start.

shunut
08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Otter has a how to on his site, I'll get you the link:

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/gaugemnt.html

Nuwwave
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
It turned out good, but had to work at it a little.

There was a big difference between the 32 degrees VA and the stock one.

The 32 degrees VA is not an open chamnber like the stock one. It is open on the bottom where the reg goes in, but the top 1/3 is solid with a 5/16" hole drilled through from the volumizer to the valve. Then two samller holes drill from the reg chamber to the 5/16" hole.

What I had to do was carefully measure where the hole was and mark on the side of the VA where I was going to drill for the guage. I put it dead center in the VA ( from front to back) and directly inline the factory hole. Pretty much like a "T". The bottom of the T being the guage port and the cross bar being the factory hole from the volumizer to the valve.

I had some issues tapping it. Come to find out, the threads on the guage (which are 1/8" tapered pipe thread) did not fit inot the tapped threads until the tap was threaded in over half way into the hole. This made it difficult because the tap started bottoming out. But I pushed a little into the side of the other hole and it was just enough to get the guage in about 3 turns.

I taped it with thread tape for security and screwed it in. Hooked up the air and no leaks. Guage reads good and allowed me to really see what psi I was tuning at.

Nuwwave
08-12-2007, 05:48 PM
It turned out good, but had to work at it a little.

There was a big difference between the 32 degrees VA and the stock one.

The 32 degrees VA is not an open chamber like the stock one. It is open on the bottom where the reg goes in, but the top 1/3 is solid with a 5/16" hole drilled through from the volumizer to the valve. Then two smaller holes drill from the reg chamber to the 5/16" hole.

What I had to do was carefully measure where the hole was and mark on the side of the VA where I was going to drill for the gauge. I put it dead center in the VA (from front to back) and directly inline the factory hole. Pretty much like a "T". The bottom of the T being the gauge port and the cross bar being the factory hole from the volumizer to the valve.

I had some issues tapping it. Come to find out, the threads on the gauge (which are 1/8" tapered pipe thread) did not fit into the tapped threads until the tap was threaded in over half way into the hole. This made it difficult because the tap started bottoming out. But I pushed a little into the side of the other hole and it was just enough to get the gauge in about 3 turns.

I taped it with thread tape for security and screwed it in. Hooked up the air and no leaks. Gauge reads good and allowed me to really see what psi I was tuning at.