PDA

View Full Version : Shipping To Canada Explained

krashtestdummie
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Heres the thing, i have bought a lot of things over the Internet from the US. At first the companies would send it UPS, and it would cost around $50, then when it came in before i was allowed to take it from the post office I had to usually pay another $50 for customs and duties. The person sending it never had to pay any customs or duties, it was me that had to pay for it before i was allowed to pick it up.

Then somehow i found out about how US Postal didn't charge customs, for things that were just being mailed across the boarder with no reference to me buying it on the other side, just one person sending another person something. Also it would be a lot cheaper, because it was US Postal, and had slower more cost effective ways or shipping whereas with UPS they just try to get it there as fast as possible.

I can see it costing more money to ship to Canada with USPS, but not a lot more compared to UPS. I can also see people blaming the seller for customs and duties if they've never bought from the US before, or used a faster mailing method. Overnight, or 3 day express seems to have more customs, duties, and brokerage than a super slow 2-3 week mailing. This is no way the sellers fault, and the buyer should look into these things before buying online.

Also they could have to pay customs if the seller puts on the package that it is a sale, and not just a gift or something, that way they cant charge you PST, and GST when it comes into the country.

Also bigger more expensive things the might look over and charge you a fee for just bringing it into the country, so the smaller the box the better.

I know a lot of people don't like to mail stuff to Canada for these reasons, and i hope this clears some things up. I personally like US Postal, because its slower, so it cost less than other big name post offices, but if your looking to get something to Canada quick don't expect it to be cheap at all.

Hope this helps you all out

Theheroguy
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
hmmm very interesting

UKwithPride
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I shipped to Canada once and it was help up in customs for about a month. It was a PAIN lol.

HelpDeskHustler
08-07-2007, 06:13 PM
tl;dr - ITS EXPENSIVE!!!

i went to fedex they wanted $70 for a pound 6"x6" box.

krashtestdummie
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
USPS is the only way to go, even though it may take a little longer ( doesn't usually get held up at the boarder either)

HelpDeskHustler
08-08-2007, 03:52 AM
USPS is the only way to go, even though it may take a little longer ( doesn't usually get held up at the boarder either)
yea, thats how i did it. 8 bucks. Fedex was pissed when i had them unpack the box :rolleyes:

leed
08-08-2007, 08:04 AM
USPS is the only way to go, even though it may take a little longer ( doesn't usually get held up at the border either)

Fixed.

USPS has a lot of problems, though. I despise UPS with a greater passion, because they're prices are ridiculous, and they ship really slow. USPS is for sure faster than UPS, at least in the US.