PDA

View Full Version : Cocking knob replacement?

Bilbo
08-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, today I lost the cocking knob from my pilot. Fell of someplace on the field. I have to get another one. I know I can order one online, but something just galls me about paying 5 times more for shipping than the cost of the part itself, plus I would like to get the new knob fast.
Is this the kind of thing the typical paintball shop would carry? I can't imagine they carry parts for every brand, but I'd rather just go there and get one than wait for one to come in the mail.

Critical
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
It'll be iffy. Some stores might have them, some might not.

LostCause
08-05-2007, 01:02 PM
te biggest allen wrench it came with owrks for me :D

Kenny_McCormic
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
you dont need that knob for it too function. you can just cock it with an allen wrench or a stick.

LostCause
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
you dont need that knob for it too function. you can just cock it with an allen wrench or a stick.

just make sure you clean it after a while.....stick kinda gets it dirty..and is a pain if it keeps breaking lol.

Allen wrench FTW!

Bilbo
08-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Okay, having done some digging around, I can't even find a place on the internet that sells them. Someone in an old post recommended sundragonpps.com, but when I try that I get an internet error. Maybe they went out of business? Frankly, given how many people post about losing that cocking knob, I'd think you could stay in business just selling them.:p

vikingshadow
08-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Is this a pull pin, or a side cocking thing?

When I lost the side cocking knob on my Sonix, I went to the hardward store and found a small bolt that screwed into it pretty well and used that. Locktite (blue) and it stayed put for good.

paintballkid0206
08-05-2007, 05:40 PM

OR A SCREWDRIVER! lol. i borrowed a pilot once with the cocking know missing, and i carried a flathead screwdriver around with me on the field. i hope that i wont have to do that with MY pilot (especially at my tourney comin up)

paintballkid0206
08-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Is this a pull pin, or a side cocking thing?

When I lost the side cocking knob on my Sonix, I went to the hardward store and found a small bolt that screwed into it pretty well and used that. Locktite (blue) and it stayed put for good.

but the problem is, if you want to get the internals out, you have to take out the cocking pin. unless you get other work done on the body of the marker

pb34
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Sundragon is still in business. This (http://www.sundragonpps.com/catalog/item/3373147/2940653.htm) is a link directly to the part you need from Sundragon.

VS3 Sniper
08-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I have one i will sell ya for cheap pm me if interested

Sandman_Bravo
08-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Like PB34 said; Sundragon!
http://www.sundragonpps.com/paintball_spps_home.html
They have other Spyder goodies also.

Herm
08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
dont waaste your money buying a new one cuz the same thing is going to happen. just take the bolt out and go to a hardwear store and buy a bolt that will slide in the hole and go all the way in. when you get home drill a hole threw the bolt and put a nylon sting in it. tie the string to the zipper on your pants. Make sure the string is long enough to reach pretty far. That way if it uncocks in the feild if you dont have time to put it back in your pocket and you let it go you wont loose it. It helps if you take the threads off the bolt. Thats what i did. its alot cheaper than buying new bolts everytime you loose one. And that lock tite thing don't do that cuz then you will never get the bolt out.

paintballkid0206
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
i made one today for a tourney comin up (just in case mine falls out and i need a spare) i took a dowel (sp?) rod and sanded it down and then colored it (to look cool) here are some pics

It's kinda blurry, but that's as good as i could get it
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/paintballkid0206/cocking%20pin/100_1144Small.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/paintballkid0206/cocking%20pin/100_1148Small.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/paintballkid0206/cocking%20pin/100_1147Small.jpg

i think that it looks better than my stock one.

Sandman_Bravo
08-07-2007, 02:24 AM
dont waaste your money buying a new one cuz the same thing is going to happen.

You have to adjust the spring tension on the screw that pushes against the pin. There is a set screw, spring, and ball bearing in the end of the bolt. You need to disassemble the bolt down to the metal parts, then heat it slightly to loosen the loc-tite holding the set screw. Insert the new cocking pin and tighten the screw about a quarter turn at a time while checking to see if you can still pull it out. When it can't be pulled out- back off the set screw slightly. Put a drop of oil in the hole and reassemble. If you are concerned about the set screw backing out now that the lock-tite has been broken; get some of your sister's, or mom's nail polish and paint over the head of the screw. It will hold it in place but can still be broken loose without heating.

Tito=PBL
08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
i use an allen key all the time to cock back my pilot. i actually perfer it because there are no moving parts outside of the gun.

Nuwwave
08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Everybody I know with a Pilot has the same issue. The problem with replacing the cocking pin is, It will happen again!

There is a set screw in the back of the bolt that holds the spring and ball that locks in the cocking pin. If you can get it out of the back of the bolt, you can screw in a nylon type bolt from Ace and that will work, but not the prettiest thing to look at.

I couldn't get mine out and messed up the set screw, so I drilled it out and tapped the hole to 1/4"-20 thread. I found a nylon bolt long enough and a round ball knob to screw on the other end. I put heat shrink over the bolt for appearance. It looks pretty good and works great.

Ideally, I would like to find a rear cocking bolt to replace the stock one, but I am not sure about compatabiltiy???

weitjosh
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
you acn use a rear cocking bolt, spyder makes one, trinity makes one, theres plenty out there. if you have a newer pilot then it will be ez, but the older ones had a plate on the back blocking the top tube. most break off tho, mine did