PDA

View Full Version : distance and accuarcy

propaintballer2378
08-02-2007, 08:35 AM
sorry about all the questions i ask but i am knew to the sport.what can i do to make my gun shoot a little further and more accurate performance wise not like a laser dotted scope or anything and for a barrel should i get a 14",16",18",or 20"?

wylde01
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
no more than a 14 inch. anything beyond that is just a waste of air.

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
No problem on the questions - that's what we're here for! We all were beginners at one time (some back when bunkers were dino poo and you used slingshots to lob the paint cough*Dragon*Druid*Otter*cough:D) but they were still beginners!

In answer to your first question - nothing. Aftermarket barrel MIGHT help a bit with efficiency and accuracy, but it won't add distance. Only way to get added distance is to one of two things.

1 -turn your velocity up, but I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMMEND THIS as it's dangerous and illegal at most fields. NEVER SHOOT FASTER THAN THE FIELD'S LEGAL LIMITS or faster than 300 fps as checked by an accurate chronograph (you can't judge this with vision or sound, however, once you are accustomed to shooting a certain speed, sometimes you can "tell" something's not right.. - I digress!) Alsoo, turning velocity up will add to the curvature of the ball's flight path, break paint, use air faster, etc.

2. Flatline or similar barrel - again, I don't recommend it because the distance you get results in slower velocities at those distances.

In answer to your second question, the most popular lengths are 12 and 14 inches. 16 inches won't affect air usage much more than a 14 inch barrel - it's only two inches, for crying out loud! - and is very useful in pushing through undergrowth or wrapping around bunkers to stay tighter. With all day air at most fields anymore, efficiency isn't that much of an issue anyways. But, IMHO, 16-20" barrels are just TOO long...both ugly and not too useful in normal circumstances.

Feel free to ask ANY questions about the sport - we're here to help!

propaintballer2378
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
what kind of greese or lube should i use and do i have to greese or lube it be fore a game ( it just came out of a box never been used before )

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Dow 33 and/or Gold Cup paintball oil. Or any air tool oil will work as well.

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 09:23 AM
with a 14" jandj barrel with a apex sight mounted on how far accuratly can the mr2 snipe?

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Snipe is a touchy word in paintball in the context that you're using it. Distance is not a factor in paintball. At 300 fps, ALL paint travels the same distance. Also, considering that when a person talks about "sniping" he's usually referring to woodsball, which in this case, is a total misnomer. You CANNOT one shot someone through unbrush and shrubs, so your definition doesn't work.

However, if you meant sniping as in tracking, getting the drop on them, and shooting them with one shot across a clearing, then see my first point. No paintball will travel any further than any other with any better accuracy chronographed at 300 (or less) fps. See flatline/apex barrel for ONLY exception but a losey one at that.

Next, scopes don't matter in paintball. The paintballs are not consistant within the bag it's in, there is not rifling, and the ball is round, not conical. Wind, heat, moisture, distance - all effect the flight path of the ball. You can use a scope to get a general (see wide) bead on your intended target, but 5 out of 10 shots could more than likely go elsewhere...

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 09:55 AM
what is a good paint for 40ish dollars?

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Whichever one that fits your barrel correctly. Heat has been pretty decent for me lately.

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 10:27 AM
since we all have the same marker and barrel whaty kind of do you use? and how do i know what is good and bad paint?

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Um, we DON'T have all the same marker and barrel. That's just it. We have many different aftermarket barrels, and many have upgraded their spyders to where they probably shoot differently. Not to mention that the tolerances on each gun vary so much that what's good for one, may not be for the other!

I get the feeling you're looking for a "set in stone" answer to solve all your issues. Sorry - in paintball, there are none! It's better to just experiment and see what works for your particular marker.

Critical
08-03-2007, 11:26 AM
how do i know what is good and bad paint?

You want to buy paint that is as fresh as possible, as close to the time you're going to need it as you can. If you're buying locally, buy from a paintball shop. Or, if your local Wal-Mart, D***'s, etc, you want to make sure they sell a fair amount because the longer the balls sit, the more dimpled they get and the more atmospheric conditions will affect them. You also want to buy somewhere that opens the box in front of you to check for breaks, another reason to buy from the pb store, even if it is $3-5 more expensive.

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Um, we DON'T have all the same marker and barrel. That's just it. We have many different aftermarket barrels, and many have upgraded their spyders to where they probably shoot differently. Not to mention that the tolerances on each gun vary so much that what's good for one, may not be for the other!

I get the feeling you're looking for a "set in stone" answer to solve all your issues. Sorry - in paintball, there are none! It's better to just experiment and see what works for your particular marker.

well when i said we all have the same gun because we are on the mr2 spyder part forum and every one i talked to usually has a 14" j and j barrel.

Critical
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
One of the reasons so many go with the J&J is that, besides being very cheap, it's one of the few barrels that fit inside the shroud. If you remove the shroud over the barrel, a whole new world of barrel choices opens up.

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 11:49 AM
what is a good barrel for around $70?

ps. correct me if i am rong but you can keep the shroud on and mill down the barrel.

chnk
08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
you can mill down the barrel,

honestly id just go wit a j&j, best bang for buck barrel, then save the money for other upgrades, tell me what upgrades do you have already?

Critical
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
with some barrels you might be able to do that, but there's no list of them or anything.

chnk
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
i know you can mill down the j&j edge elite barrel kits,

and i think you can mill down the stiffi, there isnt a list because no one really wants to ruin their barrel, or be liable for somone ****ing up their barrel,

besides most expensive barrels arent worth it, the ultralite barrel is a nice light, and accurate barrel, but there really isnt a big accuracy difference from my j&j, same goes to the stiffi, stiff barrels are nice but they throw your gun offbalanced,

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=chnk]you can mill down the barrel,

honestly id just go wit a j&j, best bang for buck barrel, then save the money for other upgrades, tell me what upgrades do you have already?[/QUOTE

my parents don't pay for paintball so i am selling a lot of my stuff and i am saving up for a q loader, and i guess a jandj barrel.

propaintballer2378
08-03-2007, 12:35 PM
can any one please send a link to where i can find a mount for the apex sight to go on the j and j barrel.

dynastykiller08
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
^ yes i second this request because i have the j and j 14 inch and would like to know how i mount a apex on it custom? do they sell them to fit? etc... thanks

Jarhead
08-04-2007, 04:39 AM
can any one please send a link to where i can find a mount for the apex sight to go on the j and j barrel.

Think this is what ya'll are looking for.

http://undergroundmodshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=47&osCsid=326016e26d7bdb60e096654255be0190

propaintballer2378
08-04-2007, 04:56 AM
ok thanks but where can i get the actual apex sight not the mount?