PDA

View Full Version : The unveiling of my Spimmy tutorial

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I mentioned this in my Spimmy thread and I've finally finished it (sans one picture...) Here is my comprehensive, step-by-step directions on building a Spimmy! (http://www.freewebs.com/vikesbuildaspimmy/) The end-all, beat-all, definitive, web-based tutorial that will hopefully answer most, if not all, your questions on building a Spimmy from scratch.

Yes, I know there are a lot of "tutorials" out there, but I always felt that they were incomplete. They either started out assuming you were to a particular place already, or that you knew what was being said. Not everyone knows this stuff, so I decided to do it differently.

So, since I know these comments are coming, I wrote this with the beginner in mind. I went step by step, just like I was teaching a class on this. As such, it's rather stretched out and long. It seems like there are a lot of words, and there are, but with pictures I hope it's interesting. I also through in some personal stories on this to liven it up a bit - all related to what I was talking about at the time. I tried to keep each page a different step (and/or related step.) I also tried to include as many pictures as I could, but not too many to detract from the instructions.

Crankwalk from IOG was advising me on this, so thanks to him. I also "borrowed" information from different people around the internet, but I did try to credit all that to whomever I "borrowed" it from. So thanks to all those guys!

If you think I missed something, or have a suggestion, let me know. Enjoy it and I hope it helps someone!

timmyshoota
08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
For noobs, from a noob!!!11!1!! :up:

:)

newkid
08-01-2007, 07:19 PM
im deffinatly gonna read it, Vike FTW!!!

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hahahahaha!

Wait.......

Critical
08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe it's just me but there were a lot of ? in place of ' and " Also, maybe a "next" link at the bottom of each page so we don't have to scroll all the way back up to go to the next page. And, finally, how about a gallery page of what spimmys people have made? I know it's a bandwidth issue to host those photos, but it's just an idea. Otherwise, A+.

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I noticed the issue with the ? mark thing instead of " and '. I thought I got them all, but apparently missed some (I typed this in word first, then copied and pasted it on the pages...

I'll look into getting those links on the bottom - I'm not quite sure how with that site. On the gallery thing, there is a page for it - it's under "pictures". I'll change the name to "Gallery" instead to make it more clear.

Thanks for the comments and I'll get right to it!

Critical
08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
On the gallery thing, there is a page for it - it's under "pictures". I'll change the name to "Gallery" instead to make it more clear.

Thanks for the comments and I'll get right to it!

I'll learn to read to the bottom one of these days.

Maxx-Damage
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I like all the pictures, those word thingys hurt my eyes.

But go vike for makin a tutorial:up::applause:

MR2 Woodsballer
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Nice walk through!!

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Dang, I can't figure out how to do the navigation links at the bottom of the page. Well, it is a free site, after all! Maybe if I garner some attention, I'll get a pay site....

Muddytaco
08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks good only thing I see is, you listed Bob Long Millenium under usable bodies, I might be wrong but I am pretty sure these are not usable do to lower tube diameter b/c of fatty striker.

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
You know, I wondered about that. Even if it can be used, I'll take it out because it's questionable.

Thanks!

TimVanNormal
08-01-2007, 09:11 PM
nice.
Great thing, this may come in handy one day.

brsport102
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
if i ever tryed this is may take me a while.... i may need a job first... lol.... maybe even 2.. may take me a while to get everything right also .. coz thats just the way i am it need to be perfect :P i like the way yours looks also :P vedy nice sweet guide also.. take ya a while to type it all or did u do it as u went along makeing it?

Kenny_McCormic
08-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice guide but there is a typo on page 4 of milling Take your time and do a good job - you can replace anything you take off!

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Tim - I hope so! That's what I wrote it for. ;)

brsport - It is somewhat expensive, but no more than buying a mid level stock gun brand new. As I said, the challenge isn't opening a box and pulling a shiny new gun out. It's getting the right parts and putting them together to make something cool (and hopefully great) out of nothing. Cost is irrelevant in this case...however, if you bargain shopped like I tried to do, you can get it for about the same cost, or a bit more, than a used Timmy.

As far as the amount of time - it took me a couple of evenings (about 12:00 - 1:30 or so, I got bored watching television, so I would write a bit. I wrote it in word first, then copied it and pasted it to the forum. The thing that took the most time was getting pictures. I didn't start until after I had already milled the Victor body. That's why the pictures show the body finished when I show examples. You'll find out that I type a lot in real life, so it's not that big a deal to write something like this to me!

Kenny - Thanks and good catch! I left out the word "not". I fixed it - and quite honestly am surprised anyone read that far into this tutorial, hahahaha!

Jobberwocky
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
props! :tup:

Kenny_McCormic
08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I think im gonna mill my spare victor body like that and leave it a blowback. Given it would be a paper weight if i so much as got a blade of grass in it but it would look sooo cool to see the striker move back and forth in there.

Critical
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry, you'd have a paperweight as soon as you milled it. The Striker has a whole bunch of HP air pushing on it at the front. Timmys have a sleeve that the ram is inside, that's what allows it to be milled like that.

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 02:59 PM
^^Yup - you wouldn't be able to use it at all once you did that. There wouldn't be a seal anymore!