PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Spyder Feedneck available

vikingshadow
07-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok, I'm on the hunt, and I need some advice.

I need the lowest possible Spyder feedneck WITH HOLES. I have a UFD feedneck, when when measured from the bottom of the tabs is 1 3/4" tall. It sets my loader almost a solid 2.5 inches from the body, which is just too high for me. Now, I've seen the NDZ low rize feedneck that claims to be the "lowest on the market" but how low is it really? Are there any that are lower?

So, what is the lowest AVAILABLE feedneck with holes available out there, guys?

HELP!

Drefish99
07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Lowest would be an NDZ threaded feedneck adapter with holes and a CCM ION/Imp NoPro. That is by far my choice in feednecks. Or a full NDZ setup - http://www.paintballgodz.com/product/PB-NDZ-SPYPROHBLU

vikingshadow
07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
So it's a bit lower than the 1.75 I have right now?

AV actually has these feednecks already made for spyders without the adapter...I was looking at this one, but it doesn't say how tall it is.

Ace24
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Dre beat me to it... I've not been able to find those adapters though. I'm having the same problem you are Viking... Silly old bodys without tabs.

vikingshadow
07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
NDZ Spyder Band Clamp Low Rize Feed Neck with holes (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=kep2k1VEpfl2OxPqN2S2O1-NLhmuCVWafvg=?ProductID=e8_AqArbvLcAAAEMI5A0DBcL#)

Ok, this one says it's the lowest profile on the market. So, is it lower than the one that Dre posted? I like the one that Dre posted better (Levers for the win!) but if this one is lower, I can deal with the hex tightening - and the lower price!

NDZ Spyder low rize pro lock feedneck

http://static.zoovy.com/img/paintballgodz/W250-H236-Bffffff/new_designz_pro_clamp_black_h.jpg

NDZ Spyder band clamp low rize feedneck

http://www.pbreview.com/pics/50161167870783.jpg

Then there's these things...it's kind of ugly, though.

http://www.newdesignz.com/Pics/art_SpyLRC.jpg

I love NDZ products, but I just don't want to shovel out money hand over fist until I find the shortest one. Oh, and I don't like the twist ones, so if you don't mind, let's ignore those...

Drefish99
07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
If you must NDZ has an adapter w/ holes that is simply ION/Imp threaded. Then you can get a CCM no/pro and that might be the lowest you can go.

I haven't tried this but thoughts on keeping the standard feed adapter. The original one that was intended to fit the plastic elbow and cut it as low as you can and use an Ego feedneck. Might be an idea and would really make your marker look custom.

vikingshadow
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Hmmmm, that ego feedneck idea sounds interesting. Does it just fit over the the top or is it a screw in thing? I could cut the original feedneck down a bit, and cut a couple of grooves in it to be able to compress it.

I'll have to investigate this a bit! If you have any more info, let me know. This sounds kinda neat, and like you said - makes it look even more different!

So, I take this:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/414C4TJXTBL._AA280_.jpg

add it to my original feedneck that has been cut down, and it should work. Right? About how far down do you think I should cut it? Say to the top of the bottom rail, or a bit higher?

Never seen one of these Ego feednecks up close. Are they pretty low rise?

I might just have to do this!

Ace24
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
They are pretty low. Probably as low as you'd get with that NDZ low rise.

I was thinking about this before, didn't think it would work though. Would definately look cool.

EDIT: Let me know how that works, and what results you find. I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread due to my Espirit body having the same kind of feedneck and me having that same HUGE feedneck. (ok not huge... and it says "Angry" on it which makes me giggle.. but I wish I had something lower profile)

vikingshadow
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Ok, I'm going to give this a shot. I've ordered the EGO feedneck, now I just have to wait (I hate waiting, and I hate ordering from Actionvillage. Their shipping is absolutely horrible anymore...but they were the cheapest!)

I hope this works! Good idea, Dre! You got the creative fires going in me again...As it is, I'll probably get my solenoid at the same time I get the feedneck...

Kenny_McCormic
07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I wonder if the same mod could be done to a Trilogy cocker?

Jobberwocky
08-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Yea, let us know how it works shadow... I am curious what the lower clamping part looks like on the inside and how it attaches...

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Ok, I need some help. Got the Ego clamping part of the feedneck coming but I need one of you Ego owners to help me out.

I'm going to use the stock feedneck from the Victor as discussed (it's a straight tube with no threading on it, so should work good for this) but I need to cut the base part down to the right size first.

Could one of you Ego owners measure the height of the feedneck tube (not the clamping part) that the clamping part of the feedneck clamps to? From the top of the gun, excluding the threads, to the top of the tube? The part that I have drawn lines for is what I need to know the height of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/spimmy%20website%20pics/Spegofeedneck.jpg

Thank you very much!

Ace24
08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Vike, when you get this done, could you post a "How To" thread with the measurements and such? Or at least post them in here. Looking at how cheap Ego feednecks are (which is funny considering Spyder is MUCH lower on the food chain, yet the feednecks can cost close to or above $40.)

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Dre sure stirred up a hornet's nest with this suggestion - but I love it!

I'm dying to get this done! I'll do a "How to" when I finish, if I don't screw it up, that is.

I have officially changed the type of my gun from "Spimmy" to "Spimego" (official person name to be announced at a later date!)

Ace24
08-01-2007, 09:24 AM
I have officially changed the type of my gun from "Spimmy" to "Spimego" (official person name to be announced at a later date!)
Ha! Might want to copyright that. Some people might want to steal that name from you. :shhh:

Muddytaco
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Here you go, did you know there is a oring?:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/Spegofeedneckcopy.jpg

pic of ego with feedneck off:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/DSC00976.jpg

when the feedneck is on, the tube on the gun is level with the first cut out on the feedneck.

Let me know if you need anymore measurements.

Muddytaco
08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Also Ego feedneck measures 1 1/8" to 1 3/16" tall, both my pulse and halo slide all the way in and sit flush with the top of the feedneck.

Finally found the thread I was looking for, here is a guy that did the same thing on his phantom:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1969271

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the measurements! That's exactly what I was looking for. (Now I know what paradox was talking about when I asked him, hahaha!)

Dang, there's an oring in there? I'm not sure I can get an oring cut into the existing feedneck - it just doesn't seem thick enough. I wonder if I can find something else to put in there to hold it still?

I've seen that phantom one before, now that you mention it. Shoot, I was hoping to be the first! Maybe the first Spyder/Ego feedneck?

Critical
08-01-2007, 01:04 PM
With the skills you've already shown, you should be able to notch the feedneck for the o-ring no problem. Otherwise, wait to get it, and see if you absolutely need that o-ring.

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
That's what I'm going to do. I should get it by Saturday or Monday (I hope! We know what hope's done for me, lately!)

I guess if I had to, I could use a rounded file to carve a small groove to at least hold the oring in place...

Drefish99
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
WOW!

Great idea tackling this on. It shall be coined the Vike Mod. Hopefully if all goes well.

vikingshadow
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Yay! I can be famous!

And all of you shall see it here first and say, "I knew him when...!"

timmyshoota
08-01-2007, 06:44 PM
This is actually an awesome idea. I'm interested to see how this works out.

Jobberwocky
08-02-2007, 09:55 AM
What is the outside diameter of the feed tube portion ontop the ego body? At least the feedneck is adjustable but hopefully the Spyder one won't be too fat or skinny.

This idea may just spread like wildfire - I best buy stock in the Ego feedneck market...

lol, but I'm surprised I never thought of this before...seems so obvious, specially since I spent so much time a while back trying to make my spyder feedneck clamping. I ended up machining the feedneck OD down and slid it up into my revy neck and used a hose clamp to secure it - super low profile and very secure.

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, I've discovered that at most, the feedneck will only be about a quarter of an inch lower than the one I bought previously due to the stupid tabs that the Victor feedneck uses. However, that won't deter me! I'm gonna make this work!

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it yet. Sigh, I remember when I used to get stuff from Actionvillage in 3 days...they really screwed the pooch when they changed shipping methods!

Oh, and I STILL haven't gotten my noid! Shoot, I hate living in the MIDDLE of the frikkin country - is there any solid reasoning for people getting stuff from coast to coast in 4 days, and I can't get something shipped in less than 5? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Critical
08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Take material off the tabs? If the Victor is the same as the feedneck on my Avant, the tabs are about 3/16", you should be able to take at least some material off, then countersink the holes and replace the screws with flat-head screws. that might give you back almost 1/4".

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I wondered about that. Then, I'd have to take some off the rounded dropped down part as well. I'm definitely going to get some flat head screws, if I can find some that is, to make it flush and allow the clamping part of the feedneck to rest down further.

I need another feedneck though so in case I screw this one up, I'll have an extra. Does anyone have an extra one laying around that would fit a Victor I or II, or any of the other Spyders that have feednecks with tabs and holes?

Ace24
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I need another feedneck though so in case I screw this one up, I'll have an extra. Does anyone have an extra one laying around that would fit a Victor I or II, or any of the other Spyders that have feednecks with tabs and holes?
Diddo on that! I need one too! Preferably in black.. might have to get it annoed too.

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Copycat :p

just playing!

Kenny_McCormic
08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I have one but im not getting rid of it unless you give me some insane amount of money. $100 shipped

timmyshoota
08-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Bryce, I might have a stock feedneck laying around. Its the kind with holes right?

vikingshadow
08-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Yup, one with holes, and no threading on the tube itself. Just a straight tube with tabs...

Let me know - I have an idea that MAY make it impossible for me to screw up. HOPEFULLY! I'll know more by lunchtime tomorrow.

Nenkitsune
08-02-2007, 09:25 PM
well depending on how much material there is, wouldn't you be able to notch the ego feedneck to accomodate the tabs on the spyder feedneck? as for the oring, a small groove with a thin rubber band might suffice.

Ace24
08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
well depending on how much material there is, wouldn't you be able to notch the ego feedneck to accomodate the tabs on the spyder feedneck? as for the oring, a small groove with a thin rubber band might suffice.
I think if you notch it that much it won't tighten right...

I might be wrong.

Nenkitsune
08-03-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm sure if you cut it right it might work. The problem I can see is just how much you can cut it before it loses too much structual integrity

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
That's my thought exactly. If I were to cut too much, then I run the chance of it breaking due to weakening the material. However, the problem isn't necessarily the tabs, but in that the tube itself is milled, leaving a "ridge" or outcropping, if you were, of extra metal all the way around the bottom section of the feedneck. I could try to file it all off, and take some extra off the top of the tabs, but then we're talking even more work in getting shorter screws and such, not to mention the possibility of having too much "wiggle" in the feedneck.

I think I'm going to leave it as is, for now, and let the feedneck rest on that "ridge". It's still going to be shorter. Considering the feedneck, according to previous info, is approx. 1-1/16 tall from the body, and the ridge/tab is 3/16" tall itself, it's going to sit about 1-1/4: from the body. The current feedneck I have is 1-3/4" tall, so I'm cutting approx 1/2" in height from it. Not great, but much better than before.

Plus, there's the added benefit of being able to say, "I made this!" And Dre christening it the "vike mod", hohohohoho!

I've got my tools ready to cut this thing, I just need to decide if I want to wait for the feedneck to get here before I try it.

Oscum Guy
08-03-2007, 12:36 PM
lol this reminds me of a pvc feedneck i made. i used the standard spyder adapter and cut it down. then i put it on a put some tape around the collet on a pneumatic dremel this. i placed the feedneck over the collet and spun it while holding it up to a file to make an oring groove. then i placed a small peice of pvc on it and cut that down so it was flush w/ the top of the adapter. then i placed a larger diameter and length peice of pvc over the smaller place. the with a dremel i cut 4 vertical slots in the large peice of pvc and put a hose clamp around it. works pretty well.

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, I was so anxious I went ahead and cut the feedneck. I'm going to wait on the oring groove though, until I see what it actually needs. I filed it down and smoothed it all up. All I can say is if you have the right tools, it sure makes the job much easier!

Question: Should I put a link on how to make one of these on my Spimmy website?

Oscum Guy
08-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Question: Should I put a link on how to make one of these on my Spimmy website?
yes.

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Good enough for me! If one person wants to see it, then it's going in there.

Nenkitsune
08-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, I could do the same thing if I had pvc now that I think about it. Find a peice of PVC the exact size of the feedneck, cut it down ultra short, clamp it with a hose clamp, cut slots in the top section for a hopper, and hose clamp it there. Ghetto no rise feedneck ^^

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Ok, I've added this mod "How To" on my Spimmy site. Look for the link in my sig, or find the thread I made here.

timmyshoota
08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I got a stock feedneck for you if you want it to play around with, just PM me.

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Let me get the Ego feedneck in and see what I'll need to do and I'll let you know either way.

Ace24
08-03-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll be making one. I ordered that feedneck from the guy that I PMed you about. (I think you got the other)

I like the idea. It looks good. Pluss I can polish the stock feedneck and make it chrome/silver (my theme) and get the black Ego feedneck which makes it all the cooler and saves me $$ by not needing to anno it.

You have a dremel right? Makes things alot easier.

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, but I haven't used it yet. Too rough on the aluminum and hard to control. Everything I've done has been with the Drill press, drill bits, files and a little bit with a metal cutting blade in my saw. The feedneck was done with a pipe cutter - best tool for the job right there. All you have to do is line it up and it cuts it evenly and cleanly - MUCH better than a dremel...

Kenny_McCormic
08-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Hmmm, I could do the same thing if I had pvc now that I think about it. Find a peice of PVC the exact size of the feedneck, cut it down ultra short, clamp it with a hose clamp, cut slots in the top section for a hopper, and hose clamp it there. Ghetto no rise feedneck ^^
thats a good idea i might just have to bring my hopper to menards the next time im there to find out if there is a size that will fit. maybe copper would be better? because pvc gets real brittle in the cold.

Ace24
08-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, but I haven't used it yet. Too rough on the aluminum and hard to control. Everything I've done has been with the Drill press, drill bits, files and a little bit with a metal cutting blade in my saw. The feedneck was done with a pipe cutter - best tool for the job right there. All you have to do is line it up and it cuts it evenly and cleanly - MUCH better than a dremel...
I meant for the o-ring groove.

vikingshadow
08-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Ah - I see now!

Oscum Guy
08-04-2007, 08:23 AM
try the file thing w/ the dremel collet. if you have a pneumatic thingy or something of the like.

Jobberwocky
08-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Have you tried this yet vike?

vikingshadow
08-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Yup - you're behind! Posted a thread on it and everything, lol! :p

Go here (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12480) and here (http://www.freewebs.com/vikesbuildaspimmy/egofeedneckonaspyder.htm) to see it....

Jobberwocky
08-15-2007, 12:06 AM
bugger - i am! lol Thanks for the links!