PDA

View Full Version : Guy Fight whatever number is next...

vikingshadow
07-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Ok, while checking out the Phog, I came across this question and thought it might make a good Guy Fight question AND it deals with paintball - a twofer!

Do you call it a Paintball Gun, or a Marker? AND, is paintball a sport or a game/hobby?

Feel free to discuss here, and I give credit for the idea to those guys over there...

marvin-martian
07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
werent these in the poll section before?

anyway, i think i call it a marker around newer people so they wont get into the habit of thinking that its a gun, but when im talking casually around vets, its a gun because it rolls off the tongue easier. and its a sport.

vwjimmy
07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Vike, it is tough to give credit to a bunch of guys who have to pump their markers between each shot!!! (Just kidding...thanks guys!!)
;)
I don't know about anyone else, but my marker helps me play my favorite sport......

pbgrandpa
07-27-2007, 04:30 PM
:yeahthat: I'm in total agreement with Jimmy

bigred76
07-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Both depending, and it's a sport. If I'm with ballers, they know what I mean when I say: "I got a new gun in today." If I was around non-ballers, I'd say: "I got a new paintball marker in today." It's merely depending on if they'll think I'm a psycho with a gun, or a paintballer with a new gat.

newkid
07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I call it both and its a sport but it can also be a hobby for people that dont have an official team

vikingshadow
07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Vike, it is tough to give credit to a bunch of guys who have to pump their markers between each shot!!! (Just kidding...thanks guys!!)
;)

I know, what's up with all that nonsense! :dodgy: :p

werent these in the poll section before?

Whatchoo talkin bout???? :p

Yeah, not sure why I put it in the wrong section - I moved it to the right place.

I tend to call it a gun when I talk to players and other people knowledgeable in this area. To parents, kids and people not in the loop - I call it a marker. Political correctness is crap, but in this case it's better for us all to be PC when it comes to this topic!

I think that as far as whether it's a game/hobby or a sport, I think it's all of them. To me, all sports are games to begin with. We all started playing because it was fun, not because it was a sport! A game is something you do for fun, a hobby is something you do to relax and get your mind someplace else. We all play (or used to, anyways) for the fun of the game. It's not until later that it becomes a sport - a game that you play with the express purpose of developing a record of wins and losses and work towards a goal - say winning a tournament or prizes.

With this in mind, PB is all three for me. Game for fun, Hobby to get away from the ordinary pressures and the daily grind of the family and job, and a sport because I practice to get better and play for a win/loss record in tournaments.

Paradox313
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Both depending, and it's a sport. If I'm with ballers, they know what I mean when I say: "I got a new gun in today." If I was around non-ballers, I'd say: "I got a new paintball marker in today." It's merely depending on if they'll think I'm a psycho with a gun, or a paintballer with a new gat.

Wait don't you collect guns anyways?

But likewise.

VS3 Sniper
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I call them markers and it deffinalty a sport.

Theheroguy
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
number 5

shunut
07-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I call it both and I think its a sport, game and hobby.

ttam13xlpb
07-28-2007, 04:35 PM
both and sport but it can also be a hobby and its deff. a game

Oscum Guy
08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
exactly, agree %100

timbertiger20
08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I call it a paint sprayer when the IRS asks :)