PDA

View Full Version : Any Computer wizzes out there, HELP!

ross * pilot
07-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey guys,
Im in sort of a dilemma. A virus has infected my familys computer and when i scan, it says this trojan cannot be deleted. Im using Mcafee and it seems that this one trojan or virus is creating MORE trojans and viruses. I recently scanned my whole computer and found 144 infected files and cookies, also unwanted programs. 143 of these cookies/files could be deleted, but the main virus can not. What should i do? Im thinking of calling a computer guy to help get rid of this thing because its really bogging down my computer. The virus is called Malware 6.9. It was supposedly a free virus scan, so, knowing me i downloaded it since Mcafee wasnt currently working (it is now though) :headbrick:

Any suggestions are appreciated

paintballin
07-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Ok if you are on a PC here is what you do. First you start your computer in safe mode (it should be in the manual). THen you run the virus check agian. Then once you have run the check angain and found the virus you can than (in theory) be able to delete the virus. Let me know if it works!

Critical
07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
What operating system? Hopefully you have a boot disk. If you do, try rebooting from the disk, re-run Macafee and see if that works. You might also try going to the Macafee website, they should have an update for that particular virus.

Kenny_McCormic
07-24-2007, 08:56 AM
use a boot disk go to the command promt and type FORMAT C:\ s
:dodgy:
But seriosly idk just remember mcafee is a pile of crap and when you get it back running use AVG free edition along with zone alarm if you dont have a hardware firewall.

durrell
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
use a boot disk go to the command promt and type FORMAT C:\ s
:dodgy:
But seriosly idk just remember mcafee is a pile of crap and when you get it back running use AVG free edition along with zone alarm if you dont have a hardware firewall.

A hardware firewall? Seriously? Wow, lol. Unless you're talking about the router, I've never heard of a "hardware firewall"...

Boot into safe mode. Run your antivirus software and delete the virus.
Make sure you boot into safe mode with networking, becuase if that doesn't work you might need to download different spyware scanning software.

I highly suggest you download Ad-Aware 2007 and run it. It will likely rid your computer of anything the antivirus doesn't.

Critical
07-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I love Ad-Aware. If I had any PCs that were mine to choose the virus protection, I'd use it on all of them.

durrell
07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I love Ad-Aware. If I had any PCs that were mine to choose the virus protection, I'd use it on all of them.

:up: Ad-Aware and Avast, and I've never had a single issue.

vikingshadow
07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I use ad-aware, spybot Search and Destroy, and AVG Home Free Edition and haven't had an issue in the year or two since I got rid of Norton (you guys helped me with that, remember?) My daughter's computer had a trojan, but the ad-aware and spybot took care of that in no time with hardly a hassle. Not bad for a bunch of free downloads!

vwjimmy
07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I run Ad Aware and AVG Free......
AVG is a great anti virus, it is not a resource pig, updates often, and it is free for home users!

durrell
07-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I ran Spybot in XP but now that I'm running Vista I haven't been using it.

And Vike getting rid of Norton is the smartest thing you can do for your computer...have you noticed? :)

vikingshadow
07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Oh, yeah! The first thing I did when I finally got that ap to get rid of it was take it off my daughter's computer. Then when I bought my laptop - before I did anything else, I got rid of it on there as well! THEN I took it off my mom and dad's computer AND my brother's as well. All of us AVG Home Free Edition (plus the ad aware and spybot since I seem to be the family computer person now.)

Wasn't the Virus program that was so bad, per se, but the damn firewall! Now, no worries!

durrell
07-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Haha.. I run Avast instead of AVG, but I have no problem with AVG..they're essentially the same (and both free!)..anything is better than Norton.

ross * pilot
07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
ok, how do i run in safe mode lol, i have an xps 400 windows xp.

durrell
07-24-2007, 10:01 AM
ok, how do i run in safe mode lol

Probably by pressing F8 when you first start the computer.

VS2 King
07-24-2007, 10:31 AM
where can i download ad-aware at?

vikingshadow
07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Download.com is where I got it. You could probably google it to get a direct link.

VS2 King
07-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Do You think You Can Give Me The Exact URL SO I Can Download The Right One.

HelpDeskHustler
07-24-2007, 11:05 AM
A hardware firewall? Seriously? Wow, lol. Unless you're talking about the router, I've never heard of a "hardware firewall"...
yea, most routers are counted as a firewall because they, unlike switches, prevent some unwanted traffic. It's a weird technicality thing, but I understood what he meant.

personally I never clear viruses in safe mode. I actually leave my computer on most of the time, only restarting when i have to or in order to make sure my boot settings aren't messed up. What I'd do:

1.Open task manager; processes tab
2.Open http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/
3.end all tasks which are designated as not being needed by liutilities.
4.Make sure nothing new starts up while ending processes, if it does take note of it. if new tasks are those you have already ended, right click them and set their priority to low or very low.
5. start > run > type "msconfig" > run it.
6. click the services tab and uncheck all services not run by microsoft corp. or those that are ACTUALLY LEGITIMATE... don't be dumb... if it isn't a major company like adobe or something network or hardware (like ati stuff) related uncheck it. you can recheck it if you feel it being off is causing problems. also feel free to take this time to uncheck non-virus related programs that are very ad-like, such as norton antivirus, aol, itunes, real player, and various other useless services. TRUST ME, EVERYTHING I JUST LISTED IS ANNOYING, AND USELESS, including norton.
7. click the startup tab, and this time use liutilites to determine is tasks that are being run on startup are dangerous, uncheck anything that is virus related. I suggest unchecking other things that auto add themselves for "convenience", as this will decrease boot time. remove norton, symantec, steam, aim, yahoo, msn, aol, itunes, qttask, real player, jusched (java download scheduler :rolleyes: ) etc.
7. Click apply or OK. Now attempt to end tasks that gave you trouble. If they still keep coming up, put them on low priority and run the newest version of ad aware.
8. instead of using basic settings for adaware, click custom scan and check EVERYTHING. Run the scan, delete the crap. restart. If you still have problems, you probably have a trojan or very high profile worm, this is the only thing norton is good at deleting, let it have its way at it if you have it. Otherwise i recommend AVG, or fprot ran through knoppix, if you have enough know-how to do that.

Critical
07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Ad Aware (http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10708241.html?tag=lst-0-2)

AVG (http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10703202.html?tag=lst-0-1)

Avast (http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10680976.html?tag=lst-0-2)

durrell
07-24-2007, 01:11 PM
yea, most routers are counted as a firewall because they, unlike switches, prevent some unwanted traffic. It's a weird technicality thing, but I understood what he meant.

Yeah, I did too..that's why I said router. Just never really heard someone call a router a "hardware firewall" lol. And from my experience, you really don't need a third party firewall. The Windows firewall blocks more than it should already.

And if he doesn't know how to boot into safe mode I highly doubt he needs to be messing with msconfig or Knoppix..lol. :p Good ideas, though. The last time I had to boot into Safe Mode was to turn off the Windows Genuine Advantage notifications on my dad's computer..haha.

Critical
07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I have a hardware firewall too, I use a 6 year old Macintosh :D

vikingshadow
07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
The last time I had to boot into Safe Mode was to turn off the Windows Genuine Advantage notifications on my dad's computer..haha.

Ok, how do you do that? My mom has been getting this thing that says her version of XP is not a genuine copy - and it dang well is!

I think I tried to download IE 7 and the only options they had were either XP home or XP professional X64 - and my mom just had the regular XP pro. So I went with XP home, and couldn't get it installed because it wasn't compatable or some crap like that, and since it's such a dang slow computer, I didn't try the XP X64 one. But ever since then, she's been getting this message "Your copy of Windows is not genuine," or some BS like that. It's getting damn irritating!

ross * pilot
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
hey guys,
i booted in safe mode with networking, but mcafee doesnt work when i do that.. i booted in regular mode the next time and it works (and still notifies me of the trojan.. Malware) any ideas?

Critical
07-24-2007, 01:48 PM
You might have to designate that Mcafee works in safe mode first.

vikingshadow
07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Spybot search and destroy and ad aware gets rid of malware (ad aware specifically targets it.)

Seriously, download it and try it out. Worse that can happen is you'll still have the trojan!

Then get rid of McAfee and get AVG (or Avast). You'll be very happy with it! Or actually, not, because you'll never think about it again!

durrell
07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
To Ross: Get Ad-Aware and run it in safe mode. I almost guarantee it will take the malware out.

To Vike: PM me and I'll send you the instructions, that's only slightly illegal ;)

To Critical: I tried OS X on my PC but didn't like how dumbed up it was. I like Vista much better so far.

Critical
07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Really? I've been using both Mac (os 1 through x) and PC (win 3.1 through xp) for so long that I've lost any preferences. They're within 5% of identical to me now. I haven't had a chance to use Vista, most everyone I've talked to says they either prefer xp to it, or that it feels like another knock off of the MacOS.

durrell
07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Really? I've been using both Mac (os 1 through x) and PC (win 3.1 through xp) for so long that I've lost any preferences. They're within 5% of identical to me now. I haven't had a chance to use Vista, most everyone I've talked to says they either prefer xp to it, or that it feels like another knock off of the MacOS.

I dunno. Don't get me wrong, OS X is NICE. Nice looking, nice performing, everything. I see why lots of people like it. I just prefer Windows. Or Linux, but the reason I've been switching between OS X and Vista is because I've been trying to find an OS I like so as to choose between a MacBook and a Dell laptop, because I doubt I'll run Linux on the laptop due to their wireless issues. Pretty sure I'm going with the Dell. Once I get used to Vista I'll probably switch back to Ubuntu or Gentoo Linux.

Right now I'm having some network issues with Vista, though, so if they keep up I might be back in XP Pro before long...

HelpDeskHustler
07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
To Critical: I tried OS X on my PC but didn't like how dumbed up it was. I like Vista much better so far.
oh my god i know. When I used osx i felt like i was being punished for knowing how a pc generally works. Metaphorically: when i use it I feel like all of my limbs are gone and I can just type or surf... no real tweaking.

durrell
07-24-2007, 05:50 PM
oh my god i know. When I used osx i felt like i was being punished for knowing how a pc generally works. Metaphorically: when i use it I feel like all of my limbs are gone and I can just type or surf... no real tweaking.

That's a good way of putting it. I just feel trapped, like it won't let ME do anything..you have to let the computer do it, which sometimes is annoying..

HelpDeskHustler
07-24-2007, 06:04 PM
That's a good way of putting it. I just feel trapped, like it won't let ME do anything..you have to let the computer do it, which sometimes is annoying..
yea... sometimes a mac just needs to be reminded who has opposable thumbs.

Critical
07-24-2007, 07:06 PM
That's why I keep an old police baton over mine. Just to let it know who's boss.

durrell
07-24-2007, 08:37 PM
That's why I keep an old police baton over mine. Just to let it know who's boss.

lol..like the YouTube video with the guy who drop kicks his Mac. :p

Nenkitsune
07-25-2007, 01:14 AM
My computer does what ever I want it to. Except for overclock higher. then it forget's how to handle itself and crashes into a brick wall and bursts into flames.

I <3 AVG free and Zonealarm. However, I use my linksys wireless router as a firewall. with zonealarm my mom was getting wickedly insane amount of incoming access attempt's blocked (before I hooked my system up) after i plugged in the router and hooked mine up, no more people trying to get in haha, Spybot search and destroy's the best. I wouldn't own a single pc without it. I also have the installers for spybot, avg, and zonealarm on my external drive just in case i needa fix someones pc haha. (I also plan on actually formatting that external drive to run linux since my computer can boot from it.)
my little usb drive is pretty fast. it's a 40gb simpletech hard drive designed by Pininfarina (yes the car design company) the case was designed by them XP. it's just as fast as a standard IDE hard drive, so it's fast enough for normal use.

HelpDeskHustler
07-25-2007, 04:31 AM
eh, spybot is ok. It's better than norton at killing viruses but it's still kinda annoying.

here's my norton spiel.

Norton:
-makes itself autorun at boot
-has 5 tasks running at any given time
-prevents normal usage of computer
-has popups that come up all the time
-ALWAYS UPDATES MID-GAME!!!!

therefore, norton is no better than having a virus, IMO.

ross * pilot
07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
hey guys, i downloaded ad aware like you suggested and ran it in safe mode with networking. I did a scan and malware popped up and i deleted it. I was very happy, buutttt, when i rebooted in regular mode, mcafee instantly popped up saying the virus is still there.... ??? what did i do wrong?

durrell
07-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Hmm that's odd. Does McAfee not run in safe mode?

VS2 King
07-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Ad-Aware Is Only For Spyware and Malware. Ad-Aware Isnt For Viruses. I used To Have Mcafee and i ran a scan and it said i had like 9 infections i got rid of that and downloaded Avg rand a scan again and said there were no infections. So I Think Macafee is totally messed up. You only deleted the spyware and Malware it doesnt detect Viruses through files.

ross * pilot
07-26-2007, 10:09 AM
D: yes, Mcafee doesnt run in safe mode. I dont know why.

King: Sorry for the confusion, i have a Malware trojan, not a virus. When i ran the ad aware scan malware was identified and i deleted it. But, when i rebooted regularly, Mcafee identifies Malware is on my computer. Its called New Malware.j to be exact.

VS2 King
07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
oh ok. Well Just To Let you Know Mcafee is not a very good Virus Program. I Recommend getting AVG. It Doesn't Look Better But It IS.

durrell
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
The best thing to do is boot into safe mode and install Avast. You'll have to register it, but it's totally free..they send the registration key to you in an email. After you install it will ask "Do you want to schedule a boot-time scan of your local hard drives?". Click yes, and it will scan before Windows boots. That should knock it all out. After that, delete McAffee and use Avast from now on. :thumbup:

HelpDeskHustler
07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
mcaffee sucks.
avast is decent, but human creativity > virus protocol... i basically raep all viruses. I know teh hax.

personally, i'd REALLY recommend saving any money you might accidentally spend on anti-virus, and using it on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/default.mspx

they have some really good online courses for like 3 bucks a year (10 bucks for a 3 year subscription to course material)

edit: windows xp costs a bit more... vista training is cheap... and it's good to learn it now while it still is cheap.