PDA

View Full Version : Tipping a ref?

Solar
07-23-2007, 04:27 AM
I was just curious, how much is customary when tipping the reffs that you have for the day?

vikingshadow
07-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Wait, refs get tips????

I'm getting ripped off! I ref for free at my field (well, minus discounts and free crap...)

Solar
07-23-2007, 06:24 AM
There was a big sign that looked like a cow that read something like..."I don't like to be tipped, but our reffs do". I gave them each 20 bucks. Didn't know if that was too much or too little.

applesauce
07-23-2007, 06:59 AM
20 each is a little much i think, but as a ref i guess i wouldnt mind!! you should give something though, esp for a reserved group!

Solar
07-23-2007, 07:10 AM
We were a reserved group of 23. So then how much would be appropriate?

Drefish99
07-23-2007, 07:32 AM
I would tip $20 if it was just 1 ref and $10 each if there were 2.

swoosh81
07-23-2007, 07:46 AM
However much to get the calls to go your way. j/k maybe

Voodoo27909
07-23-2007, 07:56 AM
I normally get $20.00 tips when there is a group at my field for reffing. At first I tried to turn it down...but the owner told me to accept it as a compliment, and that the "Tipper" will be insulted if I do not accept. I do recieve major discounts on paint, along with free air for reffing on a regular basis (along with the occasional freebee this or that), and usually I will take any tips and put it toward my account at the field so that it kinda goes back into the field. Tips are kinda rare...but they do happen from time to time.

VS3 Sniper
07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Wait, refs get tips????

I'm getting ripped off! I ref for free at my field (well, minus discounts and free crap...)
I feel the same way. But I think refs should get tips. I don't know the what's the right amount but I guess something is better nothing. I guess 10 bucks

vikingshadow
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
See, I never even assumed or thought about getting (or giving) tips. I mean, that's like asking me to get a tip from you guys for helping out on these forums. I don't expect one, nor do I want one!

Most refs receive a paycheck or some sort of payment in the form of sponsorships or discounts. To me, that's payment enough and to ask people (kids, in particular) to pay even more for a game that's already outrageously expensive is sort of ridiculous. You know, maybe it's just the way and time I grew up, but I don't expect money for everything I do.

You can dang well bet that I won't turn it down if someone offers me 20 bills though, LOL!

Opteron-O3
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I got tipped by parties when I ref. I was probably one of the better refs in my field, because I always tried to make the customer happy. While the others didn't care about the customer only for themselves. And well I just got tired of them and quit. I now have a real job.

Anyways. Treat the customer well and you'll get tipped being a ref. Don't let them wait, be prompt between resting and playing times, be nice, safety first, be friends with them too. Make their day a blast as paintball was meant to be and I'm sure you'll get something at the end of their stay.

Hossy
07-23-2007, 01:36 PM
nor do I want one!

Lies.

I am a big tipper, expecially if i get good service. The most ive tipped a guy at the field was 60 bucks (a few others chipped in to to get it to 60, and that was for 2 refs) but 20 dollars to me seems fair, especially if there was a group of 23, and if it was for a whole day.

newkid
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
it depends how much they let you get away with! :dodgy:

vikingshadow
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Lies.

Hahahaha!

No, seriously, though. I have never had a job where I accepted a tip. I was never a waiter, and I never worked in food service. I did work in a grocery store, though. I was told once when I worked for Safeway (Homeland) that we couldn't accept tips. A woman in a camper offered me 19 bucks for carrying her groceries out, and I turned her down because of that and I told her I was already getting paid. Then, a couple weeks later, I found out that all the other guys I knew there always took the tip and said thanks!

Unfortunately, I got promoted soon after that and never carried groceries out again. So no more tips were offered! However, I'm not entirely sure I would have taken it anyways.

But, again seriously, I never think about getting a tip. And I guess I'm a different kind of guy because I never work for one - I always fall back on the "I'm already getting paid, so a tip isn't necessary." I'm also the kind of guy that a waiter or waitress has to SUPER impress to get more than the basic tip. Earn it, baby! Maybe that's why I think this way - I don't entirely think I earned a tip just for doing what I'm already getting paid for.

I am a big tipper, expecially if i get good service. The most ive tipped a guy at the field was 60 bucks (a few others chipped in to to get it to 60, and that was for 2 refs) but 20 dollars to me seems fair, especially if there was a group of 23, and if it was for a whole day.

Now THAT'S a tip I wouldn't turn down! Actually, now that I'm older, if someone younger than me (or near my own age) were to offer me a tip, I might take it. I really have difficulty accepting stuff like that from older people since I know how hard it is for them to make ends meet a lot of the time.

Charfizcool
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I've never tipped a ref :confused: I never even knew you were supposed to. I agree with vike paintball is already wayy expensive it just ends up costing more with tipping people for doing their job. although if I really like a ref I will probably tip them in the future. tipping a ref is unheard off to me (untill now)

Solar
07-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I didn't tip once. and our reffs kind of followed us around like little puppy dogs. Couldn't figure out why untill it dawned on us on the way home, "maybe they were looking for a tip".

calebh
08-05-2007, 08:08 AM
i occasionally reffed for the local field, and i was only tipped once at a private party. like others have said, paintball is already expensive, and tipping just adds to the cost. at a private party, when the refs have done nothing but pay attention to one group of people all day, perhaps a tip is in order. but just your average walk-ons shouldn't be expected to tip.

colonel_moo
08-05-2007, 09:05 AM
wow, i have never heard of tipping a ref and i never received one when i was a ref. i agree with the people who say paintball is already expensive enough. you're shelling out $100+ a day to play, tipping on top of that is rediculous.

in fact, i dont like the whole tipping system in general. restaurant managers should pay their own employees, why should i pay them? i'm already paying 20 bucks for some pasta and chicken. i understand that it gives waiters/waitresses an incentive to provide quality service, but when its UNDERSTOOD to give a tip, wheres the incentive? if my server provides sub-par service, i'm still expected to tip at least 15 percent. and why should they get more money if i order a more expensive meal? is it really harder for them to carry out my lobster as opposed to my spaghetti?

and i REALLY dont understand tipping barbers. the barber (at least in non-chain barber shops) MAKE the price of the haircut. why should i give them more than they are asking? they can just raise the price if they want/need more money.

Ace24
08-05-2007, 09:22 AM
There was a big sign that looked like a cow that read something like..."I don't like to be tipped, but our reffs do". I gave them each 20 bucks. Didn't know if that was too much or too little.
Yeah... so... um... can you come to our field and tip us? haha.

I never get tips when I reff. :( I get yelled at by the non regulars like I'm not doing my job right (when I am...) and under appreciated for the work I do.

applesauce
08-05-2007, 10:22 AM
i got tipped 20 bucks yesterday, from a few groups in open play. i didnt expect it, but i didnt want to be rude and turn them away. some people may take offense to you not taking their money. I think a good rule for refs, dont ever ask or imply that you should be tipped, but if someone makes an effort to give you money, dont turn them away.

MR2 Woodsballer
08-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I have never once gotten tipped. To be realistic they spend enough money on the rentals.

applesauce
08-05-2007, 11:05 AM
depends on the field really, at my place, you can get a case of paint and rental equipment for 65-70 bucks

MR2 Woodsballer
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
My feild rents Ion packages out for $50.

clickclicksplat
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
The record at my field is a $283 tip that was split amoungst three refs. I personally haven't ever gotten one, but I haven't been reffing all that long.

Most of the tips our guys get come from corporate groups whose company is paying for their rental packages and/or batchlor parties who're just out there to have a ton of fun and throw money around anyway.

HelpDeskHustler
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
my refs aren't any good, i'd never tip them. I'd tip them if they actually tried and dove around and stuff, but they call people out on bunker hits from accross the field because they saw a splat.