PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriends dad is giving me his old car!!! 0.0

Ace24
07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm so excited. Hes giving me his old Nissan 280Z! It needs lots of work... but it will make a GREAT project car. Hes only got 60K on it but it needs lots of body work, new fuel injector (the 80 was the first Z to have a fuel injector), and the thermostat(sp) in the radiator needs to be fixed... (car is over heating) but besides that... it's a rare car that I've always wanted.

It's a manual transmition... (thank god) and hes redone the interior as well as some of the body. (He works with metal's)

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and what hardships I might face while looking for parts and such.

For those that don't know what a 280Z is...:

http://www.datsunrestore.com/Gallery/LENNY1.JPG

marvin-martian
07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
wow, thats a really nice gift. you must be really important to her...

Ace24
07-22-2007, 07:33 PM
...her dad is a mean Asian that likes to give away broken stuff... >.< But I think hes beginning to like me. (was racist twards me origionally... and this shocked the crap out of me)

He's been working on it since 1997 and hasn't had time to finish it... so he wants to give it to me to finish. (I have an uncle that restores old cars... so it makes it alot easier and he knowes that) I have a feeling he'll ask for it back when I'm done with it. :(

durrell
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Man that would suck if he asked for it back. If he gives it to you maybe you should look into getting the title transferred as well so as to prevent that..

Nice ride. :)

Ace24
07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I was thinking that. Now I've got to figure out if hes really serious and hes not just toying with me. His daughter ( my gf) thinks hes serious as long as I fix it up and don't sell it.

shunut
07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Very nice. I would have flipped if someone handed me the keys to one of those as my first car.

I agree with D though, get the title transferred to your name or your parents name immediately so he can't change his mind.

Ace24
07-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I almost pissed myself and my jaw dropped. Litterally... my gf poked me and drew my attention to it haha.

leed
07-23-2007, 05:31 AM
...her dad is a mean Asian that likes to give away broken stuff... >.< But I think hes beginning to like me. (was racist twards me origionally... and this shocked the crap out of me)

He's been working on it since 1997 and hasn't had time to finish it... so he wants to give it to me to finish. (I have an uncle that restores old cars... so it makes it alot easier and he knowes that) I have a feeling he'll ask for it back when I'm done with it. :(

Lawl, mean Asian parents that don't like their daughters dating non-asians? What? :p

Let's hope it isn't filled with drugs or anything. :eek: But that's pretty cool that he gave it to you. I almost picked up a 82 Datsun 280ZX (I personally prefer the name Datsun over Nissan) that was in good shape, but it needed a new Camshaft and Cylinder head.. But alas, the buyer never responded :( It was only 2k for it, too.

colonel_moo
07-23-2007, 07:09 AM
my best friend has an '82 280 Z. looks exactly like that even down to the color. they are nice cars!

Critical
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Get a written contract, signed by both of you saying that the ownership of the car has transferred to you, prefferably witnesed by a third party (notary would be better, but harder). Make sure it lists the vehicle make and model, mileage, condition, parts included and price (even if it's a dollar). If the car does not currently have a valid title, make that one of the first things you get, if it has a title, have him sign it over to you, then make a trip to the dept of motor vehicles and get one in your name, even if it won't be on the road for a while. There's lots of forums dedicated to Nissans and Z's in particular, take a look around, you should be able to find all the parts you need online.

LostCause
07-23-2007, 08:18 AM
your one lucky guy....all I have to say

durrell
07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Let's hope it isn't filled with drugs or anything. :eek:

LOL. That reminded me of this:

"Now, there's nothing like driving to avoid jail. Nothing hones your mind and your instincts like necessity. So I taped a kilo of cocaine underneath the car and called the boys in blue. Now, the way I figure it, you got about 2 minutes before they show up, and you do five to ten. So, what's it gonna be? Fear...or prison?"
"What the hell are you talkin' about?!"
"Real simple, son! Cops are comin'! There's a kilo of Colombian bam-bam underneath the car! Time to be a man! You got hair on your peaches or what?"

hahaha.

wylde01
07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
lol i remember that. taladega nights.

IRStookmySpyder
07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
^Lmao, that was a funny movie. I wish my girls dad would give me a car, but he doesn't have much money, so I don't think that I could take it from him seeing that like 1/4 or my house is about the size of his apartment, but her mom has some money so I wouldn't mind one from her.

newkid
07-23-2007, 05:04 PM
looks pretty sweet

vwjimmy
07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Very Nice!!! Don't even touch it until it is transferred into your name though.....
Also, I bought a 260z when I was 18 (I'm old guys ;) )...and I couldn't get insured on it AT ALL so make sure you check that too before you fall in love.....
Again, real nice! :)

Nenkitsune
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
omfg you lucky bastard. I <3 280z's

Ace24
07-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Update. He is serious. He's been showing me the steel he's bent to fix the frame (northern rust) and such... He started it up today and showed me the parts he's replaced.

I've got some pics from monday (they are crappy and from my phone... but you'll get the extent of the work that I'll have to put into it) and the car only has 70K origional miles on the engine. It's a 1979 Nissan Datsun 280ZX. Lots of rust... woo.

Anyway, (keep in mind it's a project car):
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/0723072034copy.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/0723072033copy.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/0723072033ccopy.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/0723072033bcopy.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/0723072033acopy.jpg
Both rear's are the same way with the rust. Front has been replaced (as shown) and there are rust holes in the roof near the window that need to be fixed. I'm assuming it'll be a month of body (rust) repairs, then couple weeks of sanding and smoothing... then finding parts, then priming, then replacing needed parts (exaust system needs to be replaced) and then finishing up the repairs and painting.

She runs nicely. Quiet (despite the holes in the exaust) even. I like that. Stupid farting forgien cars piss me off. I want a quieter one with lots of power... :)

Nenkitsune
07-25-2007, 09:38 PM
sweet~
You should really get a killer exhaust for it though. I love the sound of those 280z's engines

Ace24
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
It sounded like a sleeper... you could tell the power was there... but the idle was so quiet and peaceful... then when he hit the exaust and the entire car shook and trembled with the power... I had a happy moment in my pants.

Nenkitsune
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
It sounded like a sleeper... you could tell the power was there... but the idle was so quiet and peaceful... then when he hit the exaust and the entire car shook and trembled with the power... I had a happy moment in my pants.
I love those kind of cars. sound gutless as they rest, but really wake up when you stomp on it. My bronco sounded like that. at around 5500 rpm's on the freeway it sounded similar to a skyline on Grand Turismo 3 haha I loved my broncoII fast for such a gutless truck

STRIKEFIRST
07-26-2007, 06:38 AM
My boss used to have one of those....he talks about it all the time. All the time.

I'll ask him for some info.

Nenkitsune
07-27-2007, 09:51 PM
So, after much thought, I might be able to buy a 240z for 4900, problem is, I need my mom's help, and I need a second job. If my mom let's me get it, I'll either have her help me co-sign and finance through the dealer, or just get a loan and pay for the loan (both would need her help) the car I'm looking at is a '73, with 1 owner (before the dealer) and has the L28 engine (the 280's) not only that, it's nearly 100% original and looks beautiful....I'd gladly pick up a second or even 3rd job to pay for everything haha

leed
07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I hate all of you. :(

But although it's a little beat, it's only body work (and maybe a little necessary tuneups), but it doesn't seem like anything too bad. So have fun with it! Don't rice it out, don't crash it either, and you'll survive.

I wish my girlfriends dad would give me a car.. More so I wish I had a girlfriend LOL