PDA

View Full Version : Vike saw Transformers tonight

vikingshadow
07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Just got back from the movie. It was, well....how do I say it? First of all, let me say that I'm an 80's boy, through and through, and I loved the Transformers cartoon - watched it every day (although I was in high school and college at the time, LOL!) I sort of went into this not knowing how it would be coming into a live human type movie....my thoughts on it?

OMG! AWESOME! Definitely on the 'Gotta buy the DVD as soon as it comes out' list!

Definitely a guy movie - minus the naked breasts. However, it was solid action from about 5 minutes in, and continued the rest of the movie. Fighting, car chases, running, funny one liners, etc. make this a movie that should appeal to most guys.

I gotta say, Shia L. did a great job, both comically and physically. I've watched many of his movies, and he seems to be coming into his own in the genre. Not a super hero or fighter, by no means, but someone who will win, even if it's by luck.

Megan Fox? Meh, decent looking (I prefer a more athletic build, on the blondish side), obviously cast for her body and NOT her acting ability. But she did ok as the arm candy. Now, the Australian chick - whooo hoooo! I was wishing for a bit more of her...

The actors that played the father and mother did well (don't wanna look up their names, but they're quite experienced in the business.) John Voight - well, I've never been a John Voight fan, and I don't think my mind is changed on this. He plays every part the same way - he just seemed to reprise his role in National Treasure for this part...The two soldiers did great, as did the leader of Sector 7.

The special effects were great as well. Flawless transformations (pardon the pun), very believable, if a movie such as this could be believed. Interaction between the live action and the CG was quite good.

This is a great movie. For those who are saying there is no plot, puh-lease. While I'll admit, it's an old, worn out plot, it's done quite well, and seems fresh with the addition of the CG.

Up to this point, the best movie of the year (that I've seen, and in my opinion) had been Live Free or Die Hard. However, in my mind, this movie BLOWS that one out of the water. And, no, I did NOT care that much for 300. It was good, yes, but not to the extent that all the teenagers and early 20-somethings were spewing.

The true test - my wife and youngest daughter BOTH wanted to see Harry Potter instead. They BOTH said they were very surprised at how good the movie was.

Vike's scale of movie greatness?

Action - 10 out of 10 - there was no lack for it at any time
Comedy - 9 out of 10 - due to the action going on, sometimes it was hard to catch the one-liners. However, they were decent, and well placed.
Fight scenes - 9 out of 10 - as in the new Batman, some of it was hard to follow. However, a lot of the slow motion scenes more than made up for it.
Acting - 9 out of 10. Nothing's perfect. Unfortunately.
Snacks - 6 out of 10 - I love movie popcorn, and our theater has awesome sodas, but the popcorn was a bit stale, and the coke a bit flat.

Overall? I give this movie an 8.5 (9.5 if you take the snacks out of the rating.)

HelpDeskHustler
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
cool... for some reason everyone i talk to besides my brother liked it... idk why. maybe he's a fruit.

vwjimmy
07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I loved it, and so did my boys!
Being a car guy, the new Camero was cool too! ;)

Ace24
07-19-2007, 07:35 PM
cool... for some reason everyone i talk to besides my brother liked it... idk why. maybe he's a fruit.
Same... aside from the brother thing...

I've yet to see it... but I plan on it soon.

Paintballadict18
07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
i get too see it tommorow i cant wait!

spyder91
07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
that movie is kick ass, ive seen it nd i would pay to see it again, definately buying the dvd when it comes out

calebh
07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
ya, it's freaking awesome. only thing... the movie like died halfway through. so we missed like 5 minutes right in the middle. i was with some friends who had already seen it, so they filled me in. but it was still freaking awesome

vikingshadow
07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, right about where the Autobots start showing up, it gets a bit slow. That was when I started thinking about how long the movie was. But, fortunately, it picked back up again and moved on.

I was just thinking though, there sure wasn't much dialogue from the Transformers - only really Optimus Prime and then Megatron a bit at the end. Other than that goofy little spy guy doing the alien talking, that is. That could have been improved on a bit.

I heard there are plans on doing one or two sequels to this. That'll be interesting!

Theheroguy
07-20-2007, 03:31 AM
it was awesome based on what happened if you stayed a little longer there WILL be a sequel imo.
My summer movie favs go like this Transformers, Live free or die Hard, Mr.Brooks, then Harry Potter (only because I know whats going to happen in all of them)

edit also never understood why guys go for blondes so much I was really proud of my friend for going against mainstream and dieing her hair brown when she was a blond. IMO she looks better s a brunnette

leed
07-20-2007, 05:45 AM
I loved the movie, a lot of people I talked to were too critical with the movie. The only thing is I thought it was too much talk, not enough action (take, for example, when the Autobots are in the yard, and he's looking for the glasses). That and some of the faces on the Transformers were really ugly, haha.

Then there was one thing that pissed me off. They said that Megatron had come down to Earth because the Allspark was there, and also because he wanted to use it to take control of all of Earth's Technology, am I right? But then they said that all of the technology "we" had, was reverse engineered from studies of Megatron when he was frozen pre 1900's. So, if he came here to take over and use technology to conquer space, how could he do that if all of our technology came from him in the first place?

Those are the only things that I didn't like about the movie. Otherwise :thumbup::thumbup:. I saw it twice :D

also never understood why guys go for blondes so much I was really proud of my friend for going against mainstream and dieing her hair brown when she was a blond. IMO she looks better s a brunnette

I never did either, and I think it's so stupid when people are like "ugh, I hate being a blonde, so I'm going to dye my hair brown," it's so stupid! But hey, that's just me, I'm not going to say anythign to them.

Oh and Brunette > All

Warnichek
07-20-2007, 05:55 AM
My brother saw it at a midnight showing on the July 3rd. left me a voice mail to call him as soon as i saw it. His words were AWSOME x 30!
Me and my oldest son went on July 4th and saw it.

IT FREAKIN ROCKED!!!

being a child of the 70's - 80's i have waited for something like this for 25 years.

It was one of the best movies (top 3 ) of all time imo. great action, not to bad acting. I loved how they didn't focus on the actual transforming. they just went from vehicle to robot in like 2 seconds. could have used more Megatron & fighting Megatron scenes. More Starscream bashing from Megatron would have been good too.

vikingshadow
07-20-2007, 06:18 AM
I loved the movie, a lot of people I talked to were too critical with the movie. The only thing is I thought it was too much talk, not enough action (take, for example, when the Autobots are in the yard, and he's looking for the glasses). That and some of the faces on the Transformers were really ugly, haha.
While there was a lot of talking involved in that scene, it broke down to one of the funnier scenes of the movie for me. Seeing how "human" the autobots really were - impatience, clumsiness, irritability - and when Optimus was hiding up tight against the building....my wife and I both giggled seeing that.
Then there was one thing that pissed me off. They said that Megatron had come down to Earth because the Allspark was there, and also because he wanted to use it to take control of all of Earth's Technology, am I right? But then they said that all of the technology "we" had, was reverse engineered from studies of Megatron when he was frozen pre 1900's. So, if he came here to take over and use technology to conquer space, how could he do that if all of our technology came from him in the first place?
I didn't see it like that. Megatron came to Earth for the Allspark because this is where it landed. Not to take control of Earth's technology. Remember, that was 2000 years ago and he crash landed and was frozen - no technology to be had at that time! I think that what was meant was that NOW Earth had technology. most of which came from reverse engineering what they found, Megatron would use the Allspark to change that technology and destroy the humans. (This wasn't a spoiler, it was in the cartoon, for crying out loud!)
also never understood why guys go for blondes so much I was really proud of my friend for going against mainstream and dieing her hair brown when she was a blond. IMO she looks better s a brunnette
I never did either, and I think it's so stupid when people are like "ugh, I hate being a blonde, so I'm going to dye my hair brown," it's so stupid! But hey, that's just me, I'm not going to say anythign to them.

Oh and Brunette > All

Why do people prefer Shockers over Timmys? Egos over Angels? Preference, man. You don't have to get it. Some of us just think that a perfectly tanned woman with the perfect color blonde hair is beautiful...while it's just a hair color, there actually have been studies done that show that women with blonde hair tend to show more confidence in social situations and self pride. This includes women who dye their hair blonde, or add blonde highlights. Why do you think so many people do it?

I had never dated blondes before I met my wife - whether or not I found them attractive at the time. Must have been some inner voice saying I wasn't good enough for a blonde. Let me tell you a secret - they aren't different from other women, they just have different colored hair! Regardless of that study mentioned above. A lot of them have a stigma surrounding them that they hate - blondes are dumb, blondes are supposed to have more fun - imagine going through your life having to deal with that JUST because of the color of your hair - and it starts as early as 3rd grade, that' I've seen! (Wife and both daughters are blondes....)

I have a problem with blondes that dye their hair just to stop being "blonde" though. It shows they care what the world thinks about them and not in their own self importance. If they dye it just to get away from that particular color or for something different, then fine - but not for a personal gain like "proving they aren't stupid."

Oh, and the RIGHT blonde > All

Let's not turn this into a blonde post though. BACK ON TOPIC!

hansell88
07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
ii saw this movie and i think that it is deff the top 3 movies so far this year.there were some really nice cars their in the movie.although they were lucky to get their hands on that considerinbumblebee car considering that their are only 4 out right now

badlandsrox
07-20-2007, 07:59 AM
I havent seen it yet, although have planned to go over 6 times, but it never seems to work out :(:(

I had never dated blondes before I met my wife.[/B]

Uhhh, better not tell her that... just a word of advice :p haha

Nenkitsune
07-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey hansell, check out this article I found on Bumblebee
It isn't a real camaro, but it's a replica fiberglass body on a modified GTO frame

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=121044#34

Oscum Guy
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
wow, this movie was so FREAKIN AWESOEM!!!!!!!!!

they are selling the bumblebee camaro on ebay, along w/ other props/.

Nenkitsune
07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I think they can only sell it as a prop though, since they aren't street legal at all. I find it funny that the alloy "rims" are hubcaps, along with the disk brakes
edit: they sold the '77 camaro for 40k. that one is streetlegal. I bet they won't sell the 2 fiberglass 09 concepts though XP

hansell88
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey hansell, check out this article I found on Bumblebee
It isn't a real camaro, but it's a replica fiberglass body on a modified GTO frame

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=121044#34

hmmm i nver notice that o well its still one nice car

SupaSnipa
07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah i have to see it..my dads friend who is on his SWAT team or is he in the Navy SEALS has a part in it

newkid
07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Let's not turn this into a blonde post though. BACK ON TOPIC! I think I have an idea for another guy fight

Paintballadict18
07-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I think I have an idea for another guy fight
o o o i wanna know! i saw it last friday i loved it! megan fox thee hottest girl me and my girlfriend just broke up... but transformers is my fav movie now