PDA

View Full Version : Oiling a PILOT ACS 05

Paintball_Freak
07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
1st is it better to oil or lube?

2nd what exactly do you have to do. Ive heard that the delrin bolt WIL SWELL UP if you oil or lube it.?

so do you just drop oil in the ASA,

or

open the marker, oil the striker and drop oil in the vertical adapter (block)

or do the latter with lube (you cant put lube down the VA)

Critical
07-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Depending on the type, yes delrin can swell. Oil or lube that doesn't say should not be used. Use Dow 33 or similar. Lube that swells, like Dow 55 or similar, can be used on other parts such as valve o-rings, vertical adapter o-rings, etc where they are static and a little swelling will help the seal.

EDIT: If your bolt has no o-rings, you don't need to lube it at all, that could just impede the ACS.

Paintball_Freak
07-19-2007, 08:48 AM
thats why i stated the model, to show what i have.

Its delrin, no o-rings.

other than that i never understood a word you said. Im not gonna open the whole marker (VA and to get to the exp chamber) just to oil/lube it.

Im talking obout basic oiling like the striker and as some ppl do, dropping oil in ASA

Critical
07-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Why aren't you going to open up the marker "just to lube it"? That is one of the basic maintenance activities for these markers. Especially if it's new, who knows how long it's been sitting, or how much lube came on it originally. Putting a few drops of oil in the ASA will help keep the regulator lubricated, but does nothing else.

Bilbo
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I have the same marker. I have heard about Delrin bolts swelling, and I think even Otter says they do. With all due respect to his knowledge and to others, I oiled by delrin bolt for about a month before I heard I wasn't supposed to, and it didn't cause any problem. Maybe the bolt did swell and the tolerances are too loose for it to matter. I don't know. But I can say that even though you read about how they can swell and jam, I have never read a post where someone said that it did in fact happen to them.

I have been putting oil in the asa and oiling the striker since I got my pilot, to no ill effects I can see. No jams, and the only ball breaks I got was before I broke in the ACS bolt or when I used a gravity hopper.

I readily admit I am no expert: just speaking from my own experience.

Critical
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Most put in the disclaimer that the bolt can swell, not that it will. Some types of Delrin are more prone to swelling than others. And yes, you are right, the tolerances on these markers is low enough that some swelling, on some markers, isn't going to ruin things. Some have purposely swelled their bolts slightly to get a better seal.

Herm
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
why do you have to open up the marker (Critical) to oil the gun all you have to do is take the bolt out and all that stuff in there. you dont have to totally take the gun apart. Right?

Critical
07-19-2007, 10:34 AM
To do everyday maintenance, like before or after a game, no. But at least once a season (I do it before the season starts and after the season is over) you should take the whole thing apart, replace any orings on moving parts, inspect all the other orings, lubricate/oil in the correct locations and generally do a close inspection of all the parts and pieces to make sure nothing is worn/damaged. I also do this when I first get a marker, whether it's new or from a private sale. Who knows how well the other person actually took care of their equipment, or what the factory assembler did or didn't do. I've followed this from the very first Spyder that I owned, and have never had any issues with any of my markers.

Sandman_Bravo
07-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Slickoleum!! (slick honey)
http://www.slickoleum.com/index.html
Macroline guy has it
http://www.macrolineguy.com/

paintballkid0206
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
i always check the manual on where i lube my marker. it usually tells you

Sandman_Bravo
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
After every day of play, remove the velocity adjuster/dust cap and pull out the bolt & hammer. Wipe or wash clean, and re-lube. Wad up a paper towel and push it in the receiver, then pull it out. Reassemble and you're good to go.