PDA

View Full Version : What I wouldn't give for one of these back then!

vikingshadow
07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
When I was in college, we used to have epic battles up and down the hallways and streets of my university campus. Not fist fights or gang battles, shootings or stabbings. Nay! We were much more creative and used our combined brain power to come up with fun ways to rid ourselves of boredom and anger. We devised elaborate battle plans (I still remember a couple of the more successful ones) in which we sometimes used nerf balls, sometimes water balloons, sometimes those little butter tabs you get at school for hot rolls, sometimes baggies of baby powder, but the most fun of all was before the government stuck it's nose in and got rid of them were the old tracer guns that we could buy at Walmart for about 4 bucks (old style that shot tiny, 1" plastic colored discs from a space gun that you could load with like 20 of those little boogers. Shot from within 5-6 feet, those things HURT! or the little plastic/rubber dart guns that spawned movies about large hunting games using said darts...)

http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a4/21/5ea0_2.JPG

Mine was blue! ;)

One time, we had a battle of almost 50 people from rival fraternities fighting it out in the hallways of the 4- story dorm where most of my frat brothers lived, in which raged a skirmish with so many of those discs in the air at one time, along with previously mentioned baby powder "bombs", it was almost impossible to see who was where! To which led an all-dorm meeting and complaints from the custodial staff to the campus hierarchy and a speech about "how we were more mature now and were expected to clean up our messes...blah blah blah." It was usually common for someone to ask how many discs you had - and this was WAY before music and movie CDs and DVDs!

Anyway, that being a decent lead up to this, another favorite thing of ours were water fights - we filled balloons, trash bags, had literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of those little water guns of all shapes and sizes stashed all over our dorms - this one suite of guys even managed to get on the roof and store dozens of loaded guns and buckets of water to "rain" down on those unfortunates who came back from class without being prepared - and the several people who shared our lunch room but didn't live in our particular dorm...for about two months, there was ankle deep mud all around our dorm - and complaints of "wasting water" and ruining the grounds were cause for frequent meetings. We finally stopped about the first time it froze up outside (but then turned to the wonderful "prank" wars in which I, myself, set up and initiated many memorable pranks, but didn't actually participate in them so I never got caught, mwhahahaha!) In fact, my senior year, the water wars were so popular that the campus decided to make it a part of the college beach party in which the different fraternites, sororities (ummm, see drunk, gorgeous girls wearing white shirts and bikinis, get soaked by drunk idiot guys) and dorms took each other on! At the last homecoming, I heard that they finally stopped doing the water wars a couple years ago because of a lack of participation - what a bunch of panty waists those kids have turned into!

Ok, while I went on and on, the real point of this post was this...Iremember, this was 20 some years ago (jeez, I feel old now) and was before the age of the "Super Soaker" empire...although not on the same scale as the Tracer wars, it was still a good time to be had...dang I miss living on campus!

Now, here is a review (http://www.slate.com/id/2170024/?GT1=10238)of this season's powerful water shooters. Boy, what I would've done to get my hands on a couple of these bad boys!

Kenny_McCormic
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM
so why did this tracer gun disappear?

HelpDeskHustler
07-16-2007, 03:59 AM
even the nerf guns are amazing for 40 bucks.

vikingshadow
07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
so why did this tracer gun disappear?

In the late 1980's, early 90's, the government got on this kick about how dangerous toys were. Anything that was small enough to fit through a toilet paper tube was a choking hazzard, it could put an eye out, it was made with lead paint, it looked real so some kid could get shot (see plastic guns WITHOUT the orange thing on the end) blah blah blah....the toy manufacturers redesigned the gun into one that shot those wimpy foam discs that don't fly as far, nor as fast and are about 3 inches across...not nearly as much fun.

Really, I go into Wal-Mart now and see a lot of watered down versions of what we used to play with when I was a kid. Things that were made "safer" by either enlarging them, rounding off corners, giving them ugly bright colors, or changing the material on them to make them softer.

One of the things we used to play with (ok, fight each other with) were these little red and white water rocket toys - fill them up with water, then you put the rocket on this thing that looked like a small version of a basketball pump and lock it down with this sliding lever. Give it about 20 pumps, then slide the switch back and the rocket would shoot about 100 feet into the air. Really cool science stuff, but people like me and my buddies would launch them at each other. Next thing you know, you can't find them anymore, except in science shops...

Here's a picture of the one I used to get, except mine had a metal rod on the pump instead of the cheap plastic one.

http://scientificsonline.com/images/250/31104-00.JPG

This is the kind of stuff that the government groans about when it sees it on the shelfs of everyday department stores.

You know, I'm really surprised that fireworks are still allowed by the government - considering we did things much worse with them...

Note - by we, I mean all kids, not just me and my buddies...:D

HelpDeskHustler
07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
i have one of those rockets lying around somewhere.

vikingshadow
07-16-2007, 08:08 AM
They were cheap, but I always overpressurized them or something because it would break somehow every time. But, man! Were they fun!

leed
07-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I was never spoiled with such toys as these. All I had was paper and bread. :dodgy:

What about the new ones, that are like that, but foam disks instead of hard plastic ones? And they're much bigger.

http://www.togglers.co.uk/prodimages/thumbs/disc%20shooter.jpg.jpg

vikingshadow
07-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Ah, the watered down, kiddie version of the Traccer I mentioned. Blech!

:D

Ace24
07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Ah, the watered down, kiddie version of the Traccer I mentioned. Blech!

:D
I used to have the kind you speak of. I also had one of those rockets... til I hit myself in the head with it when I was younger and threw it against the ground in anger at the lump I had received.

The tracers were the ****. Mine had a 30rnd clip that you would preload then slide into the gun and my friends and I would have wars. Fun times... I really miss those. I still find disks lieing around my room and the house from time to time :)

phatphil
07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
I was never spoiled with such toys as these. All I had was paper and bread. :dodgy:

What about the new ones, that are like that, but foam disks instead of hard plastic ones? And they're much bigger.

http://www.togglers.co.uk/prodimages/thumbs/disc%20shooter.jpg.jpg
What you know about an electronic trigger Vike?! :p

vikingshadow
07-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Hehehehe - had I known then what I know now......