PDA

View Full Version : would this be e-legal ?

jared02
07-12-2007, 10:39 AM
would i get in trouble from the cops if i were to be shooting my gun in my yard and some 1 were to report me?
i have a huge yard and i usually practice my rocking.
i need to know if it were to be e-legal to shoot there.
(my backyard is in Canada if that helps :P)

thanks
jared02

oldironmudder
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Im not sure of canada but Ive never got into trouble for shooting in the backyard. Had one run in with cops but nothing bad.

vikingshadow
07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Depends on your town laws and how strictly they want to enforce them. Also, it depends on your neighbors.

My town outlaws it, but it's not enforced and I have some decent neighbors that haven't called the cops on me. YET!

In answer to your question, if these things above apply, yes, you could get in trouble. Maybe a warning at first, possibly a fine, maybe confiscation of guns if it continues.

Elfmaze
07-12-2007, 11:10 AM
they have tried to give me a "discharging a firearm" threat, But i do believe you need a bullet propelled by combustion for it to be a fire arm, In jersey at least.

vikingshadow
07-12-2007, 11:12 AM
A lot of states (not sure about Canadia, though...) are rewording their firearm laws to include guns that propel objects with air and other means. So it's very possible that they could get you with a discharging a firearm fine....

Again, you need to make sure of your local area first - remember, town laws apply first, then state, then federal - so if your town says no, the state and feds are going to back them up.

Kenny_McCormic
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
If its legal to shoot a bb gun then you should be fine with the paintball gun especially if your not shooting paint.

Jegger24
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
You have to watch out for the "dangerous weapon" wording. Just call the Police Department and ask what the ordinances are...they will be more than happy to tell you. Then I would talk to the neighbors and let them know what you would like to do and hopefully they are okay with it.

vwjimmy
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
It is illegal here in my city, but several Police officers have told me that practice contained inside my fenced yard is alright as long as no one complains about the noise....