PDA

View Full Version : Any Pilots Here??

badlandsrox
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Is/was anyone here a pilot? and if so, what is the best headset thats relativley cheap, but comfortable, and is good quality?

marvin-martian
07-11-2007, 08:09 PM
my dad flys. ill ask him about headsets tomorrow sometime

Elfmaze
07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Hmm headsets. What are you going to be flying and for how long? I got a silverfox from softcomm, that will run you about a hundred bux. it worked well but i did get the dave clark gel seals and i did want something a bit more quiet.

The Dave Clark headsets are obviously the most popular choice. i haven't tried them but there are alot of people that swear by them. the'll run you around $300 passive and 5-700 actice noise reduction. Also as a comparison, the Passive Dave Clarks are about as quiet as my silverfox. SO $300 vs $100 is you're choice.

Then there is the uber cool the Bose Active. Comes in around a grand. But it is alot more clear and has bling factor.

The most importaint thing to look at will be weight, ear seal type and head band. they may feel nice in the shop but try wearing them for three hours in the heat and see how you're ears feel.

Second look at the boom and type of mic. you want a boom that will not wear out, you need it to stay were you put it. And the mic will have to work in a very noisy environment, a scratchy one or one that cuts out will get you hated by the world.

Third is the plugs, probably the first thing to go bad. Make shure the plugs are made strong, they will get vibrated, pulled, dropped, smashed, and still need to work.

In conclusion if you're just trying it out, go cheaper, you don't know if you're going to like it or be able to afford it for long term. If it seems like its sticking though.... get the best you can afford. you need you're hearing and you need it to work well thru out you're years.

Any questions feel free to ask,
Dan Fostel
Commercial rated pilot
BS in Aeronautics
Air Traffic Controller Trainee

badlandsrox
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Have you used the Bose Av. X? cuz i found one of those nib for below half price, so if its good, i may go for that, but if its just mediocre, ill go for davis and clark or something like that

Elfmaze
07-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Bose Av X is a good set. I think they have life warentee and the'll even let you try them for a month before buying and give you 12 month financing.