PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from you car guys!

Critical
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Alright car lovers, mechanics and gear heads, I need some support! I was sitting around with some buddies yesterday and we started talking about a 1968 Corvette convertible that one of them owns. He's had it almost as long as I have known their family (I'm close friends with this guys son), close to 15 years. (I remember when he got it, we all cranked it over and the carb shot flames out around the hood!) Anyway, somewhat in jest, I asked him what he would take if I bought it. He quoted me an absolutely rediculously low price. Here's the catch. Ready? The cars in pieces. It's complete except for a motor and transmission, but the only parts that are attached to each other are the body and the frame. He's also got enough spare parts to build most of 2 extra cars, including removeable hard top, 3 hoods, 2 sets of wheels, brand new interior, at least 2 wiring harnesses, etc... So, here's my question, I don't have enough right now to restore the car, but, with the condition it's in, should I even try to buy it?

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
why not!?

Critical
07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Why not? Here's the list:
8 month old son
house payment
only storage location is 3 1/2 hours away in a different state
wife who thinks I spend too much on pb, let alone cars
wife's car in need of replacement in next 18 months

I need someone's opinion who has done this as to how do-able this really would be.

newkid
07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I would wait a couple months if you can

wylde01
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
life is all about your priorities and from what you listed it looks like you have quite a few. IMO i would wait if the guy would wait also.

Critical
07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, luckily, he's not in a hurry to actively sell it.

durrell
07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
If he's not in a hurry, I'd wait. Sounds like you have other more important things to focus on.

badlandsrox
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
buy it now while its cheap and hes not actively selling it, and store it until you have time to rebuild it (also, get some friends out, and do a team re-build, the more people the quicker it will be done)

BrianT
07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
wait, thats what i would do. It's best option. besides it would take a lot of time and money to restore it. everytime i work on my car i something goes wrong and i have to spend more money than i planned on spending.

Maxx-Damage
07-10-2007, 04:10 AM
Why not? Here's the list:
8 month old son
house payment
only storage location is 3 1/2 hours away in a different state
wife who thinks I spend too much on pb, let alone cars
wife's car in need of replacement in next 18 months

I need someone's opinion who has done this as to how do-able this really would be.
-would enjoy the vettes
-i got nothin
-build a bigger garage
-tell her it was stupid cheap, or say it was free
-build one of the vettes for her, theres an idea:D

Critical
07-10-2007, 04:31 AM
LOL, Maxx, I like your way of thinking. I think I'm going to talk to the guy and see if we can work something out later on.

oldironmudder
07-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Put it together for her :p But if your buddy would hold off on selling, I would wait. Youve got a kid & you dont want to piss the wife off about spending more time with the car than her & the kid.

STRIKEFIRST
07-10-2007, 06:02 AM
68 vett...no 68 vett...

18 months is a long time.

Tough decision...tell your wife it's an "investment"

Mr.Deux
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
If i was you I would jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. if you've got the know how and don't mind putting the time in to restoring it it is most definetly worth it. why not just look at the going rates right now? http://motors.search.ebay.com/1968-Corvette_Cars-Trucks_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsaca tZ6001

;) not to mention you can sell off all the unused parts for a nice chunck of change.

ttam13xlpb
07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Put it together for her :p But if your buddy would hold off on selling, I would wait. Youve got a kid & you dont want to piss the wife off about spending more time with the car than her & the kid.
i agree...lol

veethree
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
well, first off, its a VETTE, MAN! i also think you should pick it up now, and just work on it when ya can. if someone pulled the rug out from under you, that would be an absoulute shame. I'm more of a stingray fan, but that is one to not pass up. best of luck either way.