PDA

View Full Version : computer connection help

08Lud08
07-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a wireless usb network adapter for Internet. I want to know if I can connect a Ethernet cable to another computer from this one (with the wireless usb network adapter) and they both have Internet. I'm trying right now but am having trouble.

durrell
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Umm..there's a way..but you'd lag so bad. It would involve a crossover cable between the 2 ethernet ports and then setting up internet connection sharing on both computers.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

08Lud08
07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
How bad? bad enough that you cant use it.

durrell
07-08-2007, 08:57 PM
It would likely be pretty bad. Figure your wireless internet is already limited to about a third of the speed of your wired connection, depending on distance from the router..then split that in half..and run both at the same time..and you're not having fun, lol. If you're planning to game on both computers you might as well forget it.

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2007, 02:41 AM
usb internet = suck.
wireless internet = suck
shared internet = suck

therefore, like durrell said, shared wireless usb internet = suck x3
you might want to buy either a better wireless reciever like a wireless G or just get a long cable.

Nenkitsune
07-09-2007, 03:35 AM
i have a 54mbps wireless net, and at the time i had a 10/100 ethernet card and a 3mbps internet connection. I used it to hook my ps2 to my computer (using a wireless card) to have my computer and my ps2 have a net connection. it was a ***** to figure out how the port setup works, but it worked great, and i didn't get bad lag. Now, trying to run a lan party like that would be a pain, since the network WOULD be bottlenecked, and running 2 computers WOULD have a little bit of lag, but, there's no way that the network speed would be lower than your net speed unless you have a 10mbps or higher internet connection like i currently have.

i use a WUSB54G linksys adaptor, i get my full net speed running it wireless. the only time i get bad speeds is actually using it to network computers. instead of being 100mbps it's 54mbps, but its' adequate. If you don't have another usb adaptor, just try using the crossover. it does bog things down a bit since your computer has to act as the router, but it does work ok for gaming (like i said, i used it to play fps on my ps2, so for a computer it should be fine as well)

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2007, 03:54 AM
wow... i totally just read that first sentence as if you said you had 54mbs internet. PS2 online requires very minimal download speed in order to not receive lag, but I guarantee you everyone else in the game was super pissed about your inadequate upload speeds causing them to lag enormously.

08Lud08
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
My wireless internet is only 15 feet away from the router and it goes 54mbps. A direct wire to the router goes 100mbps. Also I'm not using it for gaming or lan parties. Its because my sister jacks my wireless network adapter to surf the internet and I need a conection on my computer too.

durrell
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Tell your sister to buy her own wireless adapter. Or even better, just get a 20 foot network cable and have twice as fast internet. :)

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2007, 09:59 AM
seriously just get a long cable and bury it under furniture etc. I have a 100 ft cable that would reach 20 ft any way i wanted it to.

08Lud08
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I want to do that but my dad doesnt like the cable running from the hallway to my room.