PDA

View Full Version : Car Help (sorry for posting so many of these help threads lately :( )

badlandsrox
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
ok, so heres the problem. Right now I have a 1992 or (93?) Saturn SL2, which is running semi ok, although weve put alot of work into it lately... I am looking through the used car things around here (mostly trader, and bargain finder) and i have found 3 cars that i am considering; A 2002 civic lxg ($800, so im a bit skeptic on that one), a few different mazda mx-3 precida's (90's) for between 1-5 thousand, and a few mazda mx-6's (about the same price and years as the mx-3's.) So, what do you guys think is the best car out of those 3, and my 92 saturn?

big_daddy_d
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
civic - you can roll the odometer a few times with proper maintenance...

colonel_moo
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
The civic will probably last you the longest if you maintain it. id go for that if its legit (800 sounds sketchy).

shunut
07-04-2007, 04:36 PM
An 02 Civic for $800, either its a typo and should say $8000 or there is something seriously wrong with it. I would got with a Honda or Toyota. I just bought a brand new Civic and I'm happy to be driving a Honda again. I've owned 2 other Civics and neither ever gave me problems. My aunt had a 1982 Honda Civic that just died last year. I don't know how many miles were on it because the odometer stopped rolling at 284,000. She said it hadn't worked in at least 4-5 years if not longer. She also said she never changed the oil or did any other maintenance to it.

Nenkitsune
07-04-2007, 05:13 PM
lol no wonder why it died. she probably fried the bearings.

honda's are great cars. i just hate the rice cookers that follow them...as a family car/point a to point b car, they're awesome. but once you start turning them into rice cooker's you've gone to hell haha. (that isnt to say that some people DO built very nice/fast honda's) a friend of mine has a 1990 honda civic with an integra type-r engine in it. has a roll bar in it, custom suspension setup, nice flat black 5 spoke 16in rims. the car is flat black with nothing more than a lip kit on it. just looking at it, it looks like it's just a flat black honda that's been lowered a little, but it has a lot of work done to it. anyways, it seems that any older japanese car, if it's been maintained properly, will run forever and ever. kinda like 60's american cars. my dad's 66 impala has over 400k original miles on it.

newkid
07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
the $800 civic seems kinda fishy, I say a mazda mx-6, just because I like the looks over mx-3

Ace24
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
The civic will probably last you the longest if you maintain it. id go for that if its legit (800 sounds sketchy).
Could be, could not be...

My parents and I get cars from the NY Impound Auto Auctions... We got our 2002 Buick Century Custom back in 2003 with only 40k miles on it for $2000. With the options it has, and the little window pricer thingy from the dealer, it was rated at $23,000. We saved ourselves $21,000... lol.

Even so... if you don't know much about cars, when you go to look at it, have someone come with you that is a certified mechanic or that knowes alot about cars that can do a once or twice over to see if there are any flaws.

Might be a typo like Shunut said though.

Critical
07-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Or make sure that they will allow you to take the car to one. Most legitimate sellers should be willing.