PDA

View Full Version : Update on my son...

big_daddy_d
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
First off all that kept my son in their prayers and thoughts since he was born both myself and my family thank you from the bottom of our hearts. As you all know about a month ago I posted that my 2nd son Noah was born and was stuck in the NICU with issues. Well we finally got him home a couple of weeks ago and he is growing. He came into the world with the deck stacked against him and so far he is fighting like a champ. He was diagnosed with a genetic condition called IIAC (Idiopathic Infantile Arterial Calcification). From whats been explained to me there have only been around 100 cases reported and not much if any research has been done on it in the US. Basically what happens is that calcium deposits build up in the coronary arteries eventually causing a blockage and the child passing away from heart failure. Most children do not make it past 6 months due to it not being diagnosed until the autopsy. My family is lucky in the fact that this was caught early on during one of my wifes many ultrasounds this pregnancy. They have him on medication that worked for a study done in the Netherlands so we're staying optimistic that it will work. On top of the IIAC he also has a tethered spinal cord, anomolies in his vertabrae, missing kidney, hernia, and clubbed foot. that can be fixed or dealt with. Just figured I'd post a quick update to kind of fill in the blanks if anyone was curious as to anything since the last post. Again thanks for all the support that has been shown by the members of this forum.

*EDIT*
As promised PICS

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/big_daddy_d/sleep5.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/big_daddy_d/iseeyou.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/big_daddy_d/DCFC0054.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/big_daddy_d/relaxin2.jpg

Hossy
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
sorry about that...
but hes in my prayers, and thanks for the update!

shunut
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Noah and your family will be in my thoughts.

My best friend's daughter has William's Syndrome. Part of which causes heart problems. Like your son abnormal amounts of calcium build up on her arteries which cause problems. A little over a year ago she went in for her 3rd open heart surgery, which was incredibly successful. The surgeries are scary but she has made it through all 3 of them with flying colors. I'm not telling you this to try to scary you, but to encourage you. They can do amazing things these days and I'm sure they will be able to help your son and he will have a pretty normal life.

Oh, my friends daughter will turn 8 in September, she was 6 months old when she had her first open heart.

BrianT
07-03-2007, 04:31 PM
glad to hear that he's doing good now. hope that all works out well. he will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

MVS1
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Good to hear that he is home. Keep the faith and we will keep the prayers and best wishes coming. As a parent I can imagine how scary this is for you all. He looks great and unfortunatey looks alot like you, he will out grow that I`m sure:D

big_daddy_d
07-03-2007, 07:26 PM
He looks great and unfortunatey looks alot like you, he will out grow that I`m sure:D

Hopefully so, the 5 year old brother also inherited my dashing good looks and unfortunately the clumsiness too...

vwjimmy
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I hate people saying, "Isen't my baby beautiful" because they usually are not (except in Mommy and Daddys eyes ;) )....especially mine!!!
But I have to say that your son is a handsome little devil!!!!!
Congrats Brother!

durrell
07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Looking good D..sounds like he's a fighter, but I'll keep him and your family in my prayers. :)

DRAGON
07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
NOAH! I love that name........

Thanks for the update and hope all works out for you and your family. What an admirable look on his face in that second pic -

Sandman_Bravo
07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
May the Lord bless and keep you all.

Jegger24
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Very handsome son!

newkid
07-04-2007, 05:22 AM
glad he's home, in my thoughts and prayers

STRIKEFIRST
07-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Mu daughter was born with a hole in her heart...and shes telling me right now how cute he is.

Noah is in our prayers.

xtraking
07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow man, Ill be praying for your son definatly. Stay strong!

big_daddy_d
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the positive support again!