PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old paint from barrel...

D-rail
06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Hello all ~
I hope I'm putting this in the right thread. I just had a quick question to all you veterans out there.

How/What should I do to remove old paint (CAKED) from the inside of my barrel?

I soaked it in hot soapy water in the sink over night, jammed a paper towel through ~ and it did NOTHING! It is REALLY bad.... there is NO WAY I could play with it like that. I screwed up and forgot to clean out my barrel after camping last YEAR :eek: !

So, if anyone has any tips/tricks that I could use I would GREATLY appreciate them!

Thanks Guys!
~ D

pbfreak3221
06-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Hot water then run a squeegee through it.

Kenny_McCormic
06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
put it in boiling water for awhile?

clickclicksplat
06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Soak it like you did and then run one of these (http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1312/) (or another squeegee like it) through it. It's the best way I've found to get paint out.

D-rail
06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Heh, this is exactly what these forums are for... I didn't even think about that :o

applesauce
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
dont use chemicals, it could damage the finish on barrel, ide just let it soak for along time. dishwasher maybe? whatever you do though, done use solvents of any kind! or you could get a new one off e-bay!

Ace24
06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Hot water then run a squeegee through it.
I had a barrel like that for a while. Hot water, squeegee, and use a mild dish detergent if you have to.

If you don't have a squeegee, push a bunch of paper towel through with a long object that will not scratch the inside of your barrel. (chopstick, pencil eraser side, exc...)

D-rail
06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I used some Dawn dishsoap and fully submerged the barrel in my kitchen sink & let it soak for 2 days... nothing. I will use the soak and squegee method and see what happens... Hopefully it's turn out alright!

This is a good lesson learned for me, I usually NEVER disreguard my equipment (of ANY kind) when it comes to cleaning it ~ this is exactly why :rolleyes: ! I must say...... I have never seen paint dry in a barrel like that before.

xSoulsx
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Some squegees (sp) have a spring thing so when you are on that caked spot you can hold the barrel and squegee at the same time and you push the spring and it kinda scrapes it off. I don't know if it works REALLy good but if you do have a bal break you should clean it out right away

applesauce
07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
a good scrubbing with a soft squeegee

D-rail
07-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, I tried again this past weekend with very little luck. It's kinda weird man... the "paint" I DO get out of the barrel is like super glue. I had some on my finger tips and they kept on sticking together like I had glue on them! This is why the paper towel trick won't work for this scenario. The paper sticks to the caked paint...

What would happen if I threw it in a pot of boiling water on the stove? I saw someone throwing it out there, but no-one responded to it. The hot water seemed to help the most....

I am thinking about trying this tonight!

I'll letcha know :confused:

Kenny_McCormic
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
boil it i dont think 212 degrees will harm the aluminum or the anno

pbfreak3221
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Right so you have to use a Squeegee.

D-rail
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
...Right, I used the squeegee after soaking it in hot water ~ it helped a little bit. I just think that boiling it will fix the problem. I just have to make sure I have a good oven mitt when I grab ahold of it :p