PDA

View Full Version : Imac

badlandsrox
06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
ok, so ive googled them and everything, and was just looking for some opinions, and where would be a good place to buy them?

(im talking about the new duo core ones, not g5, etc)

leed
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
iMac? Mac.com is probably a good place to start, or eBay.

durrell
06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iMac

06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
get a pc you'll be happy you did unless you like wasting ridiculous amounts of money

Critical
06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
And you base that judgement on what, exactly?

Apple.com is probably the best place to start, after that, unless you have an Apple store near you, Best Buy and CompUSA are authorised retailers/repair centers, you could get a chance to mess around on it before you buy. Don't listen to people who form judgments without basis, every piece of commonly used software is available for Macs, the only area that they suffer is pc gaming.

leed
06-28-2007, 07:40 AM
And you base that judgement on what, exactly?

Apple.com is probably the best place to start, after that, unless you have an Apple store near you, Best Buy and CompUSA are authorised retailers/repair centers, you could get a chance to mess around on it before you buy. Don't listen to people who form judgments without basis, every piece of commonly used software is available for Macs, the only area that they suffer is pc gaming.

My Best Buy/Circuit City doesn't even sell Apple computers...

In my opinion, Apple Computers are over priced. Yes, they are nice, but they are not worth what they are selling for. And I do have basis, I have used Macintosh computers since 1999. Back when they looked the same as PC's. And then they came out with the colors and monitor/computer combo (all in the same box with the handle), etc.

Anyways, I don't think much more needs to be said. Pretty much the best place to buy one is from Apple. You should have an Apple store somewhere, or just look at their online store.

phatphil
06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Apple.com and Macmall.com are both good stores to purchase from.

A lot of people argue that Macs are overpriced, but to me, you're paying for premium quality. I've used Macs and the Mac OS since 1998-1999 and I've also tried Windows (98 SE and XP.) I go back to Macs every time because I prefer the interface. The only reason I use Windows is so I can test websites on all browsers, and I can run it simultaneously with OS X, it's great.

The new iMacs are great computers, I'm considering picking one up myself.

durrell
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Don't listen to people who form judgments without basis, every piece of commonly used software is available for Macs, the only area that they suffer is pc gaming.

In that case, buy a PC for 1/4 of the price of a comparable Mac and run Linux! Yay! :D

Edit: I can't knock Mac, I've never tried it..I'm just messing with you Critical :D

leed
06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Apple.com and Macmall.com are both good stores to purchase from.

A lot of people argue that Macs are overpriced, but to me, you're paying for premium quality. I've used Macs and the Mac OS since 1998-1999 and I've also tried Windows (98 SE and XP.) I go back to Macs every time because I prefer the interface. The only reason I use Windows is so I can test websites on all browsers, and I can run it simultaneously with OS X, it's great.

The new iMacs are great computers, I'm considering picking one up myself.

To each his own, :D.

I vote that this stay as a "Where to buy an iMac" and not a an "iMac vs. PC" thread. I don't want to get it closed over something small, that's all.

vikingshadow
06-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I remember using Mac's years and year's ago. Back when they were big boxes with monitor and drives all in the same box and used the 5-1/4 inch floppy discs that you had to be careful not to fold! In the early 90's all education software for teachers were on those beasts and moved so slow! Even had a class using them.

Then, a few years ago, in an effort to get some of the sales back from PC's (which is weird - aren't they ALL personal computers???) they came out with the cutsey, all-in-one colorful, redesigned casings that encased everything. Funny thing is, almost ALL school computers are PC's now, and not Macs, even though it started the other way around.

Dell seems to have that market these days - even television shows most usually show the user with a Dell computer these days - even saw a commercial for a national building contractor using a Dell. Said so, big and plain as day!

I have no opinion on either, personally. I've used them both, but it seems that stuff for PC's are easier to come by. It's just what I gravitate towards - to each their own, in the end, they all do the same thing! That being said, I believe the BEST place to buy a particular brand is always from their own particular store - for instance, a place that specializes in macs as was mentioned above!

Moe
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
He didn't ask for a PC/MAC argument....lets not start one.

I personally buy anything mac related from smalldog.com. They have great prices.

HelpDeskHustler
06-29-2007, 07:04 AM
IMO mac's waste a load of power they could be using, but then again... so does vista in 32. I heard some Imac's were having problems with an update they had, I'd check to make sure wherever you buy has the problem fixed and you aren't getting one that starts with a bad update.

Nader
06-30-2007, 02:57 AM
He didn't ask for a PC/MAC argument....lets not start one.

I personally buy anything mac related from smalldog.com. They have great prices.

I'm with moe there, thats where I got my Core Duo imac.
seconds after that transaction went through, the Core 2 Duo came out.....>.<