PDA

View Full Version : video card help..

bomberpilot07
06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
ok so now all the nice people have decided to make pci-e the standard card slots... its hard to find an 8x agp card.. ive got a p4 3.2ghz with 2 gigs of ram, but my geforce 5900xt card is the only thing that cant handle whats out there for games. i can buy a new motherboard with a pci-e slot then just move my parts over and get a geforce 8600 or an ati 1950... im kinda iffy about doing that because i dont want to spend 250 bucks in the process because i just dumped to much money into the ram and liquid cooling. i know my computer itself will be able to handle the games but the graphics card ive got barely handles battlfield 2142 as it is. so if anyone knows of good places to find a card for agp slots that would help me alot. ive been doing some research the last couple days so i think ill wait a few weeks to see if prices happen to drop any. any ideas on just switching the motherboard and getting pci-e?

oh yea... if i stick with my current motherboard i dont want to spend over 150 on a card..

Muddytaco
06-26-2007, 01:02 PM
www.newegg.com

You can search for exact specs and they have customer reviews on all there products.

Edit:
Forgot to add, I would stay away from ATI, I had alot of problems with the ATI card I had on my old computer.

Nenkitsune
06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
stay VERY far away from ATI. nvidia cards for agp kick ass

i reccomend getting this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150210

it's in your price range, and it's made by XFX (which imo has awesome cards. if anything, they look killer)

my 6600 recently kicked the bucket due to UPS's crappy handling (they also managed to mess up the contact between the cpu and heatsink, causing it to overheat) so i'm going to upgrade it to the highest AGP card nvidia makes, the 7950 GT made by XFX

bomberpilot07
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
i acutally was looking at the 7600 for evga... but my friend told me that with the current cards out, that it would be to much to spend, and the reviews say that it handles bf2142 about like my 5900 :p. i love nvidia, but there drivers can have problems. so the only reason i would get ati is for the drivers. and only cause my friend said lately theyve had some good cards.

i was thinking about the 7950 but prices seem to be to high for an "obsolete" card. in a couple reviews they said it performed about hte same as the 7800. ill talk to my friend again and see what hes found. but even tho i dont want to wait ill just have to patiently watch newegg and a couple other sites for maybe a sale or pricedrop.

edit... i was looking at the 7800 and found this :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274

not bad... i might do it