PDA

View Full Version : Need help with car stereo....subwoofer

Muddytaco
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok I am finally adding a sub to my truck setup, only been 3 years since i put the other stuff in:rolleyes:

Anyway right now I am running:
Alpine CDA-9813 with Ipod/mp3 Ai-net connector
Infinity speakers all around, 6 to be exact

I have a brand new MTX 200 watt amp I got for free for blowing over a grand on the other stuff. Anyway I want to use that amp to add a subwoofer now and need help picking one out. I just want a single woofer, nothing you can hear 3 miles away, just want something to add some thump, I will also need a box for it.

Anybody know anything about this stuff? I have no idea what is good now, it changes to fast, I only keep up with paintball.

Jegger24
06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Every time I have gotten into car audio, I always stuck with JL. They have solid quality products that are reasonable priced. I'd highly suggest them!

If ya' want their website....
http://www.jlaudio.com/

Good luck!

shunut
06-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Stick with Infinity. I had 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 dVQ's in my Galant and they were awesome. Very powerful and a very clean sound. If you just want 1 sub, a 10" or 12" will probably work, I think I'd go with the 12" if you only have 1 though. JL Audio makes some good subs as well, I like prefer Infinity though.

bomberpilot07
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Every time I have gotten into car audio, I always stuck with JL. They have solid quality products that are reasonable priced. I'd highly suggest them!

If ya' want their website....
http://www.jlaudio.com/

Good luck!
qtf.. ive got 2 jl 12w0's in my blazer.. but im running a sony 1k watt amp :D.. with 200 watts you wont be getting much power into a sub unless you get a cheap one. but since you dont mind that, pioneer and sony have some nice ones. if your lucky you might be able to find one of there last year model closeouts at bestbuy.

Ace24
06-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Personally I like Kicker subs. I've got two 12 inch ones (square shape in a closed box frame) waiting for me when I get my own car. Not sure the specs of them... but they sound REALLY nice.

Drefish99
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Personally I like Kicker subs. I've got two 12 inch ones (square shape in a closed box frame) waiting for me when I get my own car. Not sure the specs of them... but they sound REALLY nice.

I'm a Kicker guy also. I love them. Visit Crutchfield for info on subs. They have info on a lot of the popular brands as well as some of the enclosures. Qlogic makes some nice enclosures. My recommendation is follow the recommended dimentions for the box from whatever speaker manufacturer you choose. That will ensure that it operates the way it should. Kicker speakers like sealed boxes with no porting.

Hoppy11
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm also a Kicker guy. I have one Comp VR 10in running on a MTX Road Thunder amp at 350RMS. The sub sounds amazing for Rock, Country, Rap.. pretty much whatever. No one ever beleives me that I only have one 10 either they are always like there is no way. And like Dre said, Crutchfield is awsome for pretty much anything electronic, so I would check them out. Comp VR's are pretty reasonably priced too.

shunut
06-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Its too bad you weren't looking for this sub 2 weeks ago. I had my entire system up for sale and could have hooked you up with a great deal on my Infinity Perfect sub. I think I sold both of them for $100 each (including shipping). Which is a smoking deal because on Crutchfield I think they go for around $250 each. Now all I have left is my Rockford Fosgate P10002 amp.

Crutchfield is a nice website for info, but I would rarely buy something from them. There prices are steep compared to most, especially compared to eBay.

Read up on subs before you buy, so when you are looking at all those numbers in the specs you understand what they mean. The type of vehicle you are putting them in and the amount of space you have to work with also play a huge roll, so make sure you do all your research before you make you purschase. That way you can get the most out of what you buy.

vwjimmy
06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I am no modern day sub expert, but we are running 10" Punch subs in both of the boys cars with great success.....

timmyshoota
06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I had a 8in Directed sub, with a Sony Xplod 760w 2 channel amp and mine hit ridiculously hard for its size. Remember, the size will also impact the quality of the sound. Too big or too small of a sub and you won't get the best sound. You want something that is just right for the size of your vehicle. I dunno how big your truck is, but a 10 or 12 should be good.

newkid
06-27-2007, 04:53 AM

my brother has a kicker set up like that in his suv and they are nice also

yod3r
06-28-2007, 12:28 PM

:yeahthat:

durrell
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Make sure you pay attention to the box you need too. Different boxes can produce WAY different results.