PDA

View Full Version : braces!

Charfizcool
06-22-2007, 04:39 PM
well I got braces yesterday and they hurt pretty bad. When I first got them the orthodontist was like are you in pain? and I'm thinking *wtf?* then like 5 other people asked me the same question but I just thought they were wierd. UNTILLL I woke up at 3:00 this moring cause my teeth hurt bad. My actual teeth hurt!(I've never felt that before)So my question is does anyone have any remedies to stop/ease the pain? if not I can deal with it for a few more days but it'd be nice to have it stop.

Jegger24
06-22-2007, 04:42 PM
When I had them it took 3-4 days for the pain to go away. They are moving your teeth so there is going to be pain...that and when (or if) you get bands - rubber bands basically - they hurt for a day or two after you get them on each time. I took Motrin IB and that seemed to help a little... Good luck.... ;)

wylde01
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
i normally take 4 ibuprofen and the pain eventually goes away. but like jegger said they are going to hurt and eventually you get used to the pain.

06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
get some vicodin

Charfizcool
06-22-2007, 04:57 PM
get some vicodin

Side affects of Vicodin:

-an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
-slow, weak breathing;
-seizures;
-cold, clammy skin;
-severe weakness or dizziness;
unconsciousness;
-yellowing of the skin or eyes; or
unusual fatigue, bleeding, or bruising

heck no I don't want to have a friggin seizure because my teeth hurt.

and do I need a prescription for ibuprofen?

06-22-2007, 05:01 PM
thats if you overdose
trust me I've taken a lot of vicodin in my day, if you use it as prescribed you'll be fine

ibuprofen is a Tylenol

pb34
06-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Ibuprofen and tylenol are pretty similar. I prefer Ibuprofen for muscle aches. I took tylenon for my braces and that worked pretty well for me.

Charfizcool
06-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Ibuprofen and tylenol are pretty similar. I prefer Ibuprofen for muscle aches. I took tylenon for my braces and that worked pretty well for me.

oh...tylenol eh, well then I'm taking tylenol because I have it at my house. but just for future reference is vicodin a stronger pain reliver?

06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
hell yeah it is
it's also addictive
I took it for recreational purposes for about a year
but thats behind me now

spyderpilotacs05
06-22-2007, 06:44 PM
i day i got braces was hell. But my bro had them too and my mom knew what to do. After every ajustment we would go to sturts fo a milkshack, extrathick:) . if that doesent work advill, some type of pain killer, just dont OD :D . but the pain will go away soon, or untill your next ajustment:p

vwjimmy
06-22-2007, 07:00 PM
thats if you overdose
trust me I've taken a lot of vicodin in my day, if you use it as prescribed you'll be fine

ibuprofen is a Tylenol
DO NOT TAKE VICODIN WITHOUT A PERSCRIPTION!!!!!!!!
Vicodin is a perscription pain reliver (Hydrocodone) which should NEVER be taken without a doctors order and supervision.
Tylenol (Acedomedifen) and Motrin (Ibuprofen) are not the same...
They are both available over the counter and are both pain relivers...but they work in different ways in your body. My pick for tooth pain from braces is Ibuprofen. It is a great anti-imflamatory as well as a good pain reliver and you will have better luck with it in this case.
Always take pain medication as directed and NEVER take a perscription medication without a doctors order and supervision.
Your teeth are going to hurt after every Ortho visit...so you need to get used to it and develop a system to deal with it. (I am a 4 1/2 year vet myself)
Good luck, the end is worth the means!

(Sorry about my spelling!)

pb34
06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
My pick for tooth pain from braces is Ibuprofen. It is a great anti-imflamatory as well as a good pain reliver and you will have better luck with it in this case.

Maybe it's just me, but I've had better luck with Tylenol. I just got my braces tightened Wednesday and the Ibuprofen wasn't working nearly as well as the Tylenol. Maybe it's just how different people's bodies react to it?

wylde01
06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
probably. ive tried tylenol and it doesn't seem to work near as well as the ibuprofen.

pbfreak3221
06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I've had braces for two years now, and they only hurt me when they tighten them for like two days, and then I don't even notice them.

clickclicksplat
06-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I seem to remember eating lots of ice cream...

Muddytaco
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Start taking advil, tylenol, etc. BEFORE you go in, always kept the pain away for me.