PDA

View Full Version : MR1 Review

Fantom
06-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Recently, I bought an MR1 out of curiosity at WalMart without knowing anything about Spyders.
I own or have owned a Tippman 98, BT-4 and a Phantom.

The first thing I did when I got home, was to disassemble the MR1 to see how it worked. My first impression was the quality of manufacture. It is at the same level as the Phantom. Excellent.

Then I went to the field to test it. Excellent consistency, therefore accuracy, but found out that it was not designed taking into account basic ergonomics. Some of the ergonomics related design details are terrible:

1) The cocking pin negates the ability of installing an electronic sight without major surgery.
2) The stock brings the eye level so high that you would need a M-16 type handle to mount the sight. That is, if the cocking pin wasn’t in the way for that too.
3) The stock upper part is in the way once you put a mask on.
4) Simple iron sights are machined in but the cocking pin, again, is in the way.

There are modifications of the stock already discussed in this forum, but still do not address a correct and permanent improvement.

It is my strong opinion that the manufacturer should have incorporated the following changes in the design, and that is, without incurring in increased costs of production:

1) Rear cocking bolt.
2) Stock attachment to the lower tube.
3) Stock shaped as an “L” and angled down to bring the sight plane higher.

cyberthrasher_706
06-21-2007, 05:13 PM
This is all stuff that most of us have found a way around due to a love of the gun. I wouldn't trade it for the world. My only "ergonomic" complaint is the lack of a foregrip aside from the fake magazine because my arms are so dam long. I actually find myself using the cocking pin as a sight itself very accurately and there are some really cool collapsible stocks out there for the MR series.

kbonnell
06-22-2007, 02:22 PM
The grips for me were a little small and uncomfortable so I made my own out of pine. Used a jigsaw to cut out the basic shape but i made them thicker so they would "fill" my hands better. Im also having the same problem of having long arms so Im looking for a M-16 barrel for it.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/kbonnell/S7000574.jpg

cyberthrasher_706
06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm getting a barrel mount rail and a folding foregrip. I don't think I want so much of an m-16 look but I do want it to look really tactical. Great job on the grips. I forget who else here did that by torching them to give it a darker look. I really liked that look to cuz it really brought out the grain.