PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Car Windows

shunut
06-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm a real clean freak and hate when things are dirty. Since I bought my new car I've noticed that the windows, mainly on the interior, never seem clean. I clean them, then a couple days later there is this white film on them and you can see all the wipe marks. It is getting real annoying because I'm having to clean my windows every 3-4 days. Surprisingly the exterior windows stay relatively clean, its the interior that is giving me trouble.

So are there any tricks that will get rid of the gross white film for good? If there is please share.

Just so you know my normal process for washing my windows is as follows:

1. Dust them, get all the loose dirt off. In AZ we have a TON of dust. I use my California Duster at least once a day.

2. Spray on Windex

3. Scrub with a lint free soft cloth

4. If there is still stuck on dirt I'll repeat steps 2 and 3

5. Finally, I wipe them down with a clean lint free soft cloth. I use 2 soft cloths, one for scrubbing the other for the final wipe down to try and prevent streaks.

See any flaws in my method? Have a better method, please share...

06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
try the swifer duster

vwjimmy
06-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Use a window cleaner that is ammonia free
Then, wipe them clean with newspaper! (Your cloth is probably the cause of the film)

pbfreak3221
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah newspaper is the secret while washing windows with Windex, it works a lot better, and usually doesn't leave any residue.

Drefish99
06-20-2007, 10:21 AM
White vinegar usually does the trick. I have heard using a womens stockings as the sponge also works to loosen any dirt that may be trapped and not abrasive enough to scratch the window.

HelpDeskHustler
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
newspaper has mass ink on it... does that really work? Mine are always ****ty too

xsgmike66x
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2107/invisibleglasspictj7.jpg (http://imageshack.us) + newspaper to clean it off

works for me.

durrell
06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
I've never heard of the newspaper trick before. I'm going to have to try that..I always have steaks on mine.

shunut
06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm going to try the newspaper thing too. I would never have thought of that because I would think the ink from the newspaper would get on the windows.

chubb0rz
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Yup i've been using newspaper since I can remember. Works like a charm and its free...well only if you take your neighbor's :waytogo:

vikingshadow
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I use the newspaper thing inside and outside on the windows. Shoot, we even do it on our house windows. It gives them a very clear finish - nearly shiny! Been doing it for years.

I hate the, what I call, "breathing smog residue" on the inside of glass as well. I actually carry a rag that I use just to get rid of it when it gets so bad....

DriverJ
06-21-2007, 05:10 AM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2107/invisibleglasspictj7.jpg (http://imageshack.us) + newspaper to clean it off

works for me.

best stuff EVER! I'd use nothing else on the windows of my Camaro or Blazer

Ace24
06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah newspaper is the secret while washing windows with Windex, it works a lot better, and usually doesn't leave any residue.
:eek: WHAT?!

How does that work? I would think the print would get all over.

vikingshadow
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Nope, it works great! Newspaper is good for a lot of stuff. Did you know that if you should happen to be in the middle of nowhere or have a woman give birth in a cab or whatever, they say to wrap the newborn in a new newspaper - not one that's been read - because of it's sterile nature (due to the printing process)?

I'm not sure how it works, but it sure does make your windows shine (try it on mirrors, as well - works wonders!)

Ace24
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
*feels like hobo doing it* I'll try that when the rain goes away

pbfreak3221
06-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah you'll surprise yourself with the results.

leed
06-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I'll have to try it too. Should you use a brand new one, or one thats a day old and has been read a few times?

shunut
06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
:yeahthat:

Also, it doesn't put any scratches or anything on the glass? Do you have to do anything to the newspaper, crumple it up first, get it damp?

How about on tinted windows? Can you use newspaper on them or will it scratch the film because it is softer than glass?

pbfreak3221
06-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't know about tinted windows, but newer would probably be better, and just spray on the windex, or whatever other product you are using, and crumple up the newspaper into a ball, and scrub.

vikingshadow
06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Yup, I usually just spray on the Windex, wipe it off with a paper towel, the buff it with the newspaper. Not sure what it would do with tinting though. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything...

Ace24
06-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Yup, I usually just spray on the Windex, wipe it off with a paper towel, the buff it with the newspaper. Not sure what it would do with tinting though. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything...
When you buff you leave a little windex right? Like some of the streaks you didn't get with the paper towel?

vikingshadow
06-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I usually do. I just don't like to spray the Windex on and then wipe it off totally with the newspaper - it gets all soggy and falls apart.

Also, did you know you can use vinegar and water instead of Windex? Works just as good, and the smell isn't really what you think it would be.

adrianm1188
06-22-2007, 09:07 AM
ever try RainX? I think its called rainX, but its like a wax coating for your windows.

no-no on the windex.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ Great site. E-book is good too, ill try and find a copy.

HelpDeskHustler
06-22-2007, 09:12 AM
ever try RainX? I think its called rainX, but its like a wax coating for your windows.

no-no on the windex.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ Great site. E-book is good too, ill try and find a copy.
rainx is for the outside.

shunut
06-22-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm going to give the newspaper a try on my windows this weekend. I only get the Sunday paper so I'll have to wait until then.

HelpDeskHustler
06-22-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm going to give the newspaper a try on my windows this weekend. I only get the Sunday paper so I'll have to wait until then.you only need like 2 sheets... don't your neighbors get a paper? btw i'd assume heavy ink ad pages aren't the best to use.

Sandman_Bravo
06-22-2007, 11:01 AM
We've been using newspaper for as long as I can remember. Black & white seems to work better than pages with lots of color picrures. Spray on the windex, crumple the paper a few times, buff to a clear shine.

shunut
06-22-2007, 12:46 PM
you only need like 2 sheets... don't your neighbors get a paper? btw i'd assume heavy ink ad pages aren't the best to use.

They probably do but I'm not awake early enough to snatch a few sheets and too lazy to go to their house to ask for it.