PDA

View Full Version : Paint to bore help

Bob-o44
06-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey guys.. i just bought my first marker.. a spyder tl-r.. ive been reading around the forums a lot and found a few links to ottersccustoms and read almost the entire site.. i was just wondering if there was some way to tell if the paint will match my barrel before i buy it.. i went back to the store i bought my marker at and looked at the paintballs for the 3 digit number but all of them simply said .68 caliber.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
look at otters paint size and bore size chart
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html

vikingshadow
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Well, you can use the chart that Kenny gave you first. ESPECIALLY if you're buying the paint at Wal-Mart or some similar outlet.

At the field, I ALWAYS test the paint before I buy it. A lot of people go by the blow-through method. They look for paint that sits in the barrel but won't roll through. They then attempt to blow it through. If it blows through easily, it's sized to the barrel. If you pop a vein trying to get it out, it's too big and you'll have issues with it. After I try several balls out of the bag, and they all are easily blown through but don't necessarily roll out, it's a good ball for your barrel.

Another option is to buy a barrel kit that will allow you to use many different size inserts or backs to size the paint. No need to worry about specific paint that way!

Welcome to the forums! Hope this helped in some way. Please feel free to ask any questions and stick around for awhile. You won't find a better bunch of guys on the 'net!

vwjimmy
06-20-2007, 08:42 AM
If you are using the stock barrel that came with your marker, almost all paint will go thru it without any problems....As you get more into the sport, paint to bore matching will become more important to you. You will end up with several bore sizes to choose from that you can match your paint to. Paint varies even in the same brand! Weather, tempeture, age of the paint, and many other factors can cause the paint diameter to vary....I have started a day of speedballing with one bore and had to change during the day even though I am still using the same paint out of the same case! There are gauges that you can use to check the paint, but I usually just put it down the barrel before it is on the marker and check for a good fit.
For now, get some paint and have fun....later, you can look into barrel kits, or just buy a few different sized barrels to help you keep the best match possible!
Welcome to the forum!

Bob-o44
06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
thanks for the help all.. one more quick question.. where do you all reccomend purchasing upgrades for my marker?

06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
a proshop or ebay

pbfreak3221
06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Or on the forums here, or on Pbnation.com.

vikingshadow
06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Personally, I like buying new. There are a TON of internet shops and reviews in the BST forums - go here (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=3841)to see them. Look for the "+" and "-" and you'll see the stores we recommend....

Other than that, internet forums and of course, supporting your local PB store are options.

druid
06-21-2007, 05:39 AM
click the stores thread in my sig and then do what Vike says