PDA

View Full Version : I just got a PMR.. Anything I should know?

QAZ123
06-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah I just picked up a PMR for like $285 and am wondering what I need to look for as it is stock? I remember reading some stuff about some things needing replaced but can't remember! I mainly bought it to play some CTS and PRA 3 man with modified PSP rules and I think the board already has those settings but not sure.

Any help is much appreciated.

JB.

NeedForSpeed
06-19-2007, 08:13 AM
There's a review that Viking did in the member reviews that might have some stuff in it. A lot of people like to replace the trigger and the back cap I hear is pretty needed. Vike says the barrel is decent so a higher flowing bolt would be good next.

ttam13xlpb
06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
back cap you will eventually need to replace because it will strip out.trigger if you dont like the stock one and barrel makes a huge difference.the stock board has psp

Maxx-Damage
06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Where did u get the PMR for $285? The cheapest ive seen is like $350.

QAZ123
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I was just in the right place right time kind of thing.

What lube am I suppose to use on it? Can I use Hater sauce v2 cause I got a bunch of it!

Thanks for the help and I'll go check Vike's review.

JB.

ttam13xlpb
06-19-2007, 10:02 AM
yeah i got a good deal on mine too.i paid $295.and i just use dye slick lube that came with it

timmyshoota
06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
I was just in the right place right time kind of thing.

What lube am I suppose to use on it? Can I use Hater sauce v2 cause I got a bunch of it!

Thanks for the help and I'll go check Vike's review.

JB.
I wish you had mentioned looking for one, I would of sold you mine for what I paid for it, and its practically new with all metal parts.

Drefish99
06-19-2007, 10:07 AM
JB whats up man long time. Glad to see you picked up a PMR. Hater sauce is always a good lube. I use it along with Lurker lube on majority of my markers. I do like to use Slick Honey on my spooler type markers in the summer as it is a little thinner and I can lower my LPR a little bit. But then again this is all on my DM4. Don't know how it will react with the PMR so I would say stick with the Hater since you have so much of it already.

vikingshadow
06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Good to see ya!

Hater v2 is good on the bolt, but use the Dow 33 on the reg. At least that's what I've heard - personally, I use Dow 33 on everything.

You don't really need to change anything. Seriously! Even the back cap that everyone moans about isn't actually that prone to stripping, it's just people get to happy tightening it. Keep the lube off the threads, and tighten it a bit with the Allen wrench provided, but not too much. However, I did change mine just because I like upgrading and wanted a different color, but the stock one is in perfect condition.

Trigger is a preference thing - some like the stock, others don't. There are a few out there for it though, and some that are pretty decent. I used an ultralight trigger before I bought the UL frame and it was pretty good. You definitely need the spring though - mine had CRAZY bounce without it!

Stock barrel is good. Period. I don't know why everyone keeps saying to upgrade it. It's a larger bore, well milled and smooth on the inside. It cleans itself awesomely with just a couple of shots, so you don't have to worry about barrel breaks - IF you get any. Personally, I think it's just a lot of people trying to justify getting a much more expensive barrel to look good to their buddies so they can brag that they have a different barrel. I mean, seriously, I put ball on ball with my stock barrel, with the stock gun RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. No barrel upgrade is necessary unless you absolutely feel the need to match paint to barrel and want to upgrade more.

Some people like to change the frame for another, although the common complaint from those that haven't used the gun or even seen one up close is that it's [I]plastic[I]. Give me a break. It's light, it's comfortable and it won't break no matter what those yahoo's say. You have to want to break it, and try hard to actually do it and if you do, that same pressure would bend a normal frame so you'd be screwed either way. However, if you want, there is an NDZ frame and a UL frame out for it. I got the UL frame and at first didn't like it, but now I find it very comfy.

If you have any questions, let me know. I've spent quite a bit of time with mine and would be glad to help! Hope you like it!

timmyshoota
06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
The stock frame is amazingly comfortable, and makes the gun VERY light.

ttam13xlpb
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
dont get me wrong,if you were talking about me saying a barrel makes a big difference,the stock barrel is good but the ul i replaced it with really made a big difference i thought

timmyshoota
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
The stock barrel on a regular PMR is garbage. The one piece Proto barrels are only good for using when you've got crappy paint or reballs. I'm glad mine came with the 2 piece Proto barrel.

vikingshadow
06-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I mean, I use all kinds of paint, good and bad, and still hit the target I'm shooting at in the same spot nearly all of the time? How is that garbage? It works for me so I can't say it's garbage. May not be the best, but definitely not the worst and not necessary to upgrade immediately.

But, to make this right, this is just my opinion. Other people obviously disagree. That's fine. There are people who agree with me as well and that's fine also. I guess the standard, "shoot it and if you don't like it, change it" advice applies here!

The stock frame is amazingly comfortable, and makes the gun VERY light.
Didn't see this post, but I would agree with this completely. It was actually surprising to me how comfy it was - especially without gloves so I could get the feel of the rubber on it.

timmyshoota
06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I've used my Proto barrel on every gun I've had just about and it shot like garbage, no matter the paint. The outside of the barrel is beat to hell, but the inside is flawless and it still wouldn't shoot straight. Its not a quality made piece, so you will find some that are good, some that are bad.

vikingshadow
06-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Ok, I can agree with that - the some are good, some are bad part. Guess I just got one of the good ones. The only other one I've actually seen is one my ex-teammate had and it was good, also. I guess it is more than possible that there are good and bad ones out there. They are the lower level barrel of their line, after all!

QAZ123
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

Vike- read your review thanks for all the input!

Timm- I was actually gonna pm you and see if you had any deals but wasn't sure how often you were still on here.

Dre- nice to see you also. I still come on here somewhat often but more of a lurker than anything anymore.

Isn't the PMR cocker threaded? If so I've got a ton of cocker barrels and kits from my BMS2. If not no biggie I'll try the stock one out and see what it does and if I need to pick up another so be it.

Can't wait to get it. As most may know I play pump tournies and a lot of times I have leftover paint and then I win paint so right now I'm sitting on about 4200 paintballs!

JB.

pbfreak3221
06-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah it's cocker threaded so your good.

DRAGON
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Hee hee, another one joins teh club(please, don't mean to start anything) - :o

I agree with Vik, the stock barrel is great on mine. If it fit a Spyder it would be like an upgraded barrel. Very smooth bored and was accurate using Ultra Evil's. I ended getting another barrel myself cuz I like the 14's. Cocker threaded it is, so sounds like you're in luck -

Only thing plastic I didn't replace on mine was the eye covers and trigger frame. Ya, very comfy for composite -

BPBoy
06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
PMR? Sweet! I suggest you buy a - UL frame -Metal Back Cap - Clamping feedneck, and probaly an ASA. My freind has a set up like that and it flat out rips! It's relly light and with the UL frame, its really easy to handle.

QAZ123
06-20-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't think I'll go for the ultralight frame but I got a question though. Do the PM6 frames bolt on to it? I just found one with a CP trigger for $40...

vikingshadow
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
No, only the PMR frames work due to the way the reg sits on the gun.

applesauce
06-20-2007, 08:16 AM
mine came with a new feed neck, and a boblong assassins barrel. the barrel im sure i could have done without, but the feedneck seems like something to replace. i dont HATE the trigger, but im going to get a new one...the stock trigger feels a little sloppy, but i am able to rip pretty good in semi mode. as far as the 'plastic' parts. they eye covers seem good, mine sit flush with the marker, and the back cap feels pretty solid, just dont !@$!@$ around with it too much!

QAZ123
06-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah I don't tinker with things much I prefer to leave things alone lol.

What kind of pricing will I be paying for a new trigger though?

Thanks for all the input.

JB.

ttam13xlpb
06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
id say $15 to $30 on a trigger.and i have no problems with the stock feedneck myself

QAZ123
06-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Got it today. Went to the field on my lunch and bought a hybrid on/off asa!

Trigger. It's ok. We'll see. Probably get an NDZ trigger and possibly the NDZ trigger frame later on.

Clamping feedneck is ok by me.

Probably will change out the back knob thingy and eye covers eventually.

Barrel is a no go. Can't use a 11" anymore only on a phantom lol.

JB.

ttam13xlpb
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
which hybrid on off did you get?push button or 1/4 turn?i am debating which to get and wondered what your opinion on the hybrid was?thanks

QAZ123
06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
1/4 turn. Never touched the push button one.

JB.

ttam13xlpb
06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
ok thanks

QAZ123
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Actually. After looking at Claus's in his pic thread. I think my feedneck is aftermarket either that or it's just a stock DM or PM neck which is fine by me.

The set screw inside the frame is silly and a pita. Glad I got a deal from management at the field for the rail and on/off!

Oh yeah. Got a personal field sponsorship. They were pleased with my promoting of the xppl series and gave me a 1 year membership for free which comes with discount paint.

Finally hard work pays off.

JB.

HelpDeskHustler
06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
The buttons are annoying, when you open those grips, hold the board in place or else they'll fly everywhere.

vikingshadow
06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
That reminds me - watch the buttons AND the battery cable. Those two things alone made the UL frame worth it to me - not to mention that you get a board, a frame a trigger and grips.

ttam13xlpb
06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
you can fix the buttons with a small piece of tape...never had any problems with mine cuz the guy b4 me taped them

DRAGON
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I got New Designz buttons and never had a prob with them -

HelpDeskHustler
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I got New Designz buttons and never had a prob with them -
the problem isn't the buttons... its that they're hard to get back in if they fall out when you move the board.

QAZ123
06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Got a railmount on/off asa. Aired it up. Shot it. If it wasn't so late I would head to the indoor field tonight but doubt anybody's there since the Chicago thing started today.

Like it so far. Trigger.. eh.. no opinion on it yet.

JB.

HelpDeskHustler
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
trigger wobbles a lot, if that doesn't bother you, then it's sweet. You can short stroke it with one finger if you over pull the trigger near the bottom. This causes the plastic to flex and release the micro-switch. You can then release the trigger gently and it will fire again, keep going until the micro switch is released again at the normal activation point, and restart. If you get it down right you can pull two shots out of one pull.

Imo that's the easiest way to hit the ramp w/ little effort (in the pull... it takes some time to learn to do it)

pbfreak3221
06-22-2007, 06:14 AM
I just ordered my PMR, and it comese with a new thing of Sleek lube, can I use that with it?

vikingshadow
06-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes, it's just Dow 33 (also called Shocker Lube.) It's perfectly fine for lubing any paintball gun.

pbfreak3221
06-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Awesome, I'll post pics of mine once it comes, I got it for 320, and it has UL frame, Cp 2 peice, and new backcap!

QAZ123
06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok I finally got everything worked out somewhat. The person before me had the dwell settings messed up and had it on I think Millenium mode. I put the dwell settings back to defaullt.

I'm assuming I will be adjusting the velocity through the regulator now is that correct?

Gotta tinker with the trigger and trigger settings. I'm so used to magnetic/roller triggers on Timmie I can't hardly walk this thing.

With that being said. This is the simplest gun to work on (other than pumps) I've ever had!

JB.

DRAGON
06-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Dwell should be at 25ms and reg to velocity. There must be hella lot more volume available in my Imp. It runs at 150psi @ a 4.5ms dwell. 25ms sounds crazy but it is a whole different design -

Now teh pbfreak joins teh clan..........

QAZ123
06-22-2007, 05:51 PM
the problem isn't the buttons... its that they're hard to get back in if they fall out when you move the board.

Had to mess with the buttons tonight.. I literally had to lay the gun down and step outside cause I was getting so pissed! Figured out a solution though. Point the barrel end straight up in the air and the board will slide right in!

JB.

vikingshadow
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah, those buttons were the PITA. Along with that dang battery wire harness...The first time I took the grips off the stock frame, the board moved a bit and the buttons came out - I couldn't figure out what to do with the dang things! Learned in a hurry to hold the gun and board a certain way to get it to work right.

Like Dragon said, welcome to teh cluberz!

ttam13xlpb
06-22-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah the harness is what i had trouble with the most

DRAGON
06-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't understand the button thing though as I said I put the ND buttons in as soon as I got mine. I put the trigger in as well as all the other stuff so I basically took all that apart all the way to the eye ribbon. I think I used hemostats to put the new buttons in. The worse thing for me was the eye ribbon. It's kind of a dumbass way to attach it to the board. I'll bet Dye makes a ton of cash from replacement ribbons -

applesauce
06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
have any of you pmr owners had any trouble with the back cap? i know a lot of people say they changed it out, but whats the big problem with it? mine seems to be doing its job ok!

vikingshadow
06-23-2007, 05:11 AM
I never had any problems with it. My stock one is still in great condition. I only changed it because I wanted a different color. If people would quit overcranking on it, and wipe the lube off the threads before they put it back in, it wouldn't be an issue.

QAZ123
06-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Whats a good place to buy aftermarket parts?

Also what about standard parts like the orings? I think I will eventually need a new battery cable though also.

JB.

vikingshadow
06-23-2007, 06:08 AM
For the battery cable, call Dye. They replace them for free.

I found a local place that sells orings cheap! But www.mcmasters or someplace like that sells them...

Everywhere carries PMR parts now. Punishers, actionvillage, NDZ, the matrix center, etc are decent places to buy parts.

DRAGON
06-23-2007, 06:38 AM
www.ndzpb.com

ttam13xlpb
06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
i dont mean to get off topic but can anyone tell me exactly what millenium mode is?i cant figure it out.

applesauce
06-23-2007, 12:38 PM
its semi up to i think 7-8 bps, once you hit that rate it goes into ramping at whatever bps you set the marker to.

QAZ123
06-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Played yesterday with it. Scrimmaged with another field sponsored team to get them ready for there tourney next weekend. It shot well. Definitely gotta get a new trigger. There were two other PMR's there one with a aftermarket trigger and one with the UL frame. Both were nice but I think I'm just gonna get an aftermarket trigger.

I did have a leak though. In a few games I would shoot then here a hiss or a release of air coming out the back. It would go away if I quit shooting. Almost like something was not sealing after the cycle. I'm gonna order orings from mcmaster tonight just to have.

I like it though. I really really like it!

JB.

vikingshadow
06-25-2007, 07:15 AM
That leak, if I'm reading your post correctly, is supposed to be there. Not really a leak - it's actually the vent that releases the air, kind of the same principle of a QEV, sort of. Just like on a shocker. Nothing to be concerned with, unless it wasn't a blast of air at the same time it shot.

ttam13xlpb
06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
i noticed mine would do this when it was low on air

DRAGON
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
The exhausted air is part of the Boost system. Read it on page 8 of the manual. It's even more prevalent when you install a hollowed back cap like the ND cap. Long as it's not a continual leak, everything's OK -

QAZ123
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Cool I was wondering what it was cause it was performing great even with the air hissing after the shot. Doesn't do it all the time though...

pbgear won't get anymore business from me though. There shipping prices are ridiculous. Went to punishers and got a NDZ trigger. The one with the bottom swooping out as it reminds me of a critical trigger on my old Timmy that I could really rip on. Has dual roller bearings so it should be nice.

JB.

vikingshadow
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
NDZ Slik trigger? I have one of those on my Shocker - it's a great trigger!

When you get it, let me know if you have any problems installing it. I had a bit of time trying to get my UL trigger in the stock frame - it was quite an operation!

QAZ123
06-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah I think that's the one. I'll let ya know how it goes.

JB.

ttam13xlpb
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
YEAH I GOT ONE AND ITS NOT TOO COMFORTABLE...MIGHT JUST BE ME THOUGH..sry caps was on

DRAGON
06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Cool I was wondering what it was cause it was performing great even with the air hissing after the shot. Doesn't do it all the time though...

It was dat snake in da woods lol. Crap, it may be both the back cap and a small leak if it's sporadic. Seems Vik had a lot of leaking probs(he got teh o-ringz). Guess I've been lucky thus far -

vikingshadow
06-26-2007, 04:58 AM
^^^Could be. Keep an eye on it - it should vent every time you shoot. A short blast of air that you can't feel with your mask on, but can when shooting with it up. I can't really remember exactly how much or exactly where it vents on the stock cap, though. Like Dragon said, the NDZ cap, which is what I have, vents directly out the key hole...

After I got teh o-ringz, all leaks are bye-bye! Meybe you might wanna do the same ting?

HelpDeskHustler
06-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I got poor consistancy with the stock back cap because it would unscrew periodically

vikingshadow
06-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I found that if you keep the lube off the back cap threads, it doesn't unscrew as easily while you're shooting the gun (assuming you put a little extra twist to it using the Allen wrench.) My NDZ doesn't unscrew when I clean the threads and just finger tighten it.

pbfreak3221
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Hm... Well with my new PMR, I took of the new back cap (NDZ) and it wasn't attached to the bolt. How do I remove the bolt now?

QAZ123
06-28-2007, 05:57 PM
NDZ silver trigger is in. That was too easy. Kinda scares me...

DRAGON
06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
When I put my trigger in I basically tore the whole thing apart besides the noid. I had a few other parts to install as well. There's really not a lot of parts to it. I like the ND trigger but they might have pushed the bend back just a bit more. Definitely beats the hell outta the stock trigger -

pbfreak3221 put a swab in the front of the bolt and push it out through the back. Reason the cap came off the manifold is you didn't tighten the 4 set screws in the manifold enough. Damned if you screw them in too tight and damned if if they're too lose -

pbfreak3221
06-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I have no more swabs in my gearbag, that last one broke over the weekend, sit there any thing else I could use?

DRAGON
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Something that won't scratch the bolt or i/d of the marker perhaps? - :cool:

pbfreak3221
06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Hm... I can't think of any house hold objects that would work..

vikingshadow
06-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Wooden spoon will work. Or a plastic spatula that's long enough to reach the end of the gun. It's all in one piece so it should come right out.

Make sure you leave that one set screw out a bit to help guide it in!

Dragon, I had to even take the trigger guard off to get the UL trigger in. Once I did that, it went in pretty easily!

Hey, I've been keeping an eye on this "tophat" mod that's being discussed on PBNation right now (I know, I know.) It seems somewhat promising in that even the people in the Matrixowner's forums are discussing it positivly...

pbfreak3221
06-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey vike, that worked thanks, and thanks drag for the help. The person before me was lube crazy, and I have to replace one o-ring. I love the UL trigger.