PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback...

TheRedBarron
06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Well fellas I know I have not been around much as of late but we are looking for your help...

What do you guys want out of these forums, suggestions, ideas, we are looking for member feedback. Stupid posts will be deleted... Chris..

So throw it out to us, what do you guys want to see here? What changes do you think need to be made?

Thanks

TRB

durrell
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
What do you guys want out of these forums, suggestions, ideas, we are looking for member feedback. Stupid posts will be deleted... Chris..

lollercopter. :D

Help us out guys.

marvin-martian
06-17-2007, 04:19 PM
hope everythings going all right matt.

the only thing i dont like about these boards right now is the lack of traffic/posters. this ought to pick up here shortly due to it being summer and some members dont have as many obligations. other than that, everything is great.

Muddytaco
06-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Stupid posts will be deleted... Chris..

I lol'd

Only thing i could think of was maybe a video section.

MR2 Woodsballer
06-17-2007, 05:37 PM
:yeahthat: thats about it.

Maxx-Damage
06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
:jot: maybe some more smilies and that vid section seems like a cool idea.

TheRedBarron
06-17-2007, 06:15 PM
We are giving you guys a voice here and that is all you have for us? throw anything at us.

that is an idea though ;)

bigred76
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
You could ban Chris. :dodgy:

Other than that... change the Pic Section's title to "Pix and Vids" or something of the like. I don't think we need more smilies, we have enough as it is! You just have to look through them all for the right one.

Also, a sponsored section. I know, it's been thrown out before, but if we pitched towards Otter's site or some other worthy cause, I think it'd work out well.

Theheroguy
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
hmm maybe you guys should ummm you guys should hmmm make a section for non spyder markers where people can ask questions for non spyders

bigred76
06-17-2007, 06:21 PM
That would be the Vet's section. ;)

MVS1
06-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Maybe expand on the tech section...break it out into loader types. Just a thought. Other than that I can't think of a base that hasn't been covered.

marvin-martian
06-17-2007, 06:38 PM
how often do mods like ares and sp, and scrappy check in? i NEVER see them anymore, and i was thinking that as long as they dont, they should be replaced.

i felt mean typing that...

bigred76
06-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Ares checks in every once in a while, and SP is on whenever he's online. Scrappy... well, only the mods and God truly know. I feel the same way as you, but I don't know who they'd consider good enough as a candidate for those positions.

TheRedBarron
06-17-2007, 07:08 PM
No new mods will be appointed just yet.

NeedForSpeed
06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
We don't even need new mods. There's not enough people to manage to need more mods. I betcha 2 mods alone could take the the whole forum as of now.
We need advertising or something..stickers/ads/anything. Maybe ask Kingman to sponsor considering it is their boards. Stickers..hhhmmmm
Maybe start cutting down the amount of seperate forums for each marker. The AMG forum hasn't been posted in since March and the Fenix since April. I know the winter is the "offseason" and I'm not trying to bust on the AMG. I owned one until I sold it to my brother for a few bucks because I want to keep it in the family. I still play with it when I play rec. ball with my friends from time to time who don't like going to the field. There's so many forums for basically the same markers. Maybe do..Electronic Spyders/Mech Spyders/Old School Spyders/Raven Markers/VS2,VS3.
Will probably have more ideas later..may or may not post depending on whether they are "intelligent" or not.

vikingshadow
06-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Any other suggestions? We've got:

1. Lack of posters/traffic
2. Video section
3. Banning Chris!!!
4. More smilies
5. Sponsored section
6. Loader forum in the tech threads
7. Additional moderators
8. Getting rid of some of the inactive forums.

We need your input guys. We want this place to flurish again, but it seems all we've come up with on our own has failed. Some of these are excellent ideas. Keep them coming!

marvin-martian
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
7. Additional moderators

i didnt mean to say additional, but to replace old inactive ones.

durrell
06-17-2007, 08:57 PM
i didnt mean to say additional, but to replace old inactive ones.

That is a good point, and something we should consider especially if we revamp the site to attract new members. :)

marvin-martian
06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
and bring the games section back from the mothership

bigred76
06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Hmmmmm..... FBT?

:D

marvin-martian
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Hmmmmm..... FBT?

qft

bigred76
06-17-2007, 09:36 PM
If nothing else it would raise attendance rates! :) We could also tie it in with the sponsored section idea, and have it in there for sponsoring members only.

MR2 Woodsballer
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
I wish I had heard of spyder forums sooner than I did. The way I found it was searching through spyder.tv when I was deciding on what MR to buy. Looking back im really suprised I even found it. It is very well hidden. Advertising is a great idea. One thing tho please don't charge a membership fee when we want to search. It really makes me mad when I get that stupid screen on pbnation.

Darkh2o
06-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Advertising would definitely bring in the masses. If Kingman put a little card/paper/post-it in each gun package giving the location of the forums, attendance would climb!

Critical
06-18-2007, 05:43 AM
I've been thinking about this overnight. There's nothing seriously wrong with the forums. Maybe a little light in terms of traffic, but it's certainly not dead. Here's my thoughts, some of these have been said before, some haven't, maybe I can elaborate a little on those already posted.

* Marker Sections
You gave the MR series their own section, broken out by marker, do the same for the 3 VS markers. Additionally, have a "General VS" and "General MR" section so people who are lookign for more broad based answers can get them easier. Slash and burn the current marker sections, they're all over the place and no traffic in most of them. Plus 95% of them are identical other than milling. Here's an idea on how to set it up: MR series (general, MR1 & EMR1, MR2, MR3), VS series( general, VS1, VS2, VS3), Legacy (general, electro, mech, other).

*Tech
I don't know if it can really be feasible to expand the tech section further than it is, that section is so slow right now. Maybe add a Spimmy section? You could probably condense the current tech boards into 1 or 2, then start adding what everyone agrees is needed.

*special memberships
I spent a great deal of time thinkinng about this one. The forums are kind of like the kids table at Thanksgiving. Kingman owns and "runs" these forums, right? Why not give something back to those members who support them? have multiple levels with something for them at each level. first level gets the marketing material just like the dealers (and we probably are more interested), and some other little throw away gimme. Second level bumps up the gimmies, third level, maybe you start to see small discounts in products/ability to purchase early? And, Maybe have a special section for the supporting members where we get to see new product a little early, or maybe even where Kingman can ask what we're interested in for their next markers? Ability to purchase raw, unanodised parts, how about the ability to purchase parts with this fancy new membership?

*Advertising
Like someone above said, the forums are a pain to find if you're not looking for them. how about putting a nice big link right on the main page, no scroll overs, no multiple links. Also, cards in the marker boxes is a great idea, and very cheap to implement.

*Mods
Others said most of this first, so not much new here. I think we have a core of very good mods. However, there are others that, I look at the name in the mod list in the sections, and wonder who the hell these people are, because I've never seen them. I don't think you need any new mods at the moment, maybe once traffic picks up. But clearing out those who are not actively participating might be an idea (I don't mean those who are having short-term issues, just those who haven't been moderating, or participating, in a while.

Maxx-Damage
06-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Im liking the game section now that some one mentioned it.

HelpDeskHustler
06-18-2007, 07:25 AM
debate subforum

edit: if you do sponsoring, make it less than ASM. maybe like a $5 option and a $20

NeedForSpeed
06-18-2007, 07:35 AM
BRING BACK THE GAMES!!! I remember those..Wasn't there one with a space guy? I wasted a lot of time playing that:o

I like the sponsor idea.

Contacting Kingman with cards in boxes is a great idea.

I just did a search on Google for "paintball forums" and our forum wasn't on the first 8 pages and then I stopped.

Take out the Veteran's forum and make it "Non-Spyders" some people i've talked to think this is only a spyder board because there's no room for other markers. We need a forum with the title for other markers

I think it would be a great idea if we had a part of the forum in which only people who post good informative posts with no flaming and crap can access. To get in a you have to be nominated by an exsisting member in which other members vote on. Not sure what to call it though. Maybe that can be the "Veteran's Forum" considering you'd have to be a Veteran to get in. DOES NOT GET CONFUSED WITH SPONSORED SECTION..for anybody. You get in by being a good member, not buying in

Although its somewhat the opposite of Critical, I think we should have the MR section like the VS section. All compressed into one. I've got time so here's a list of the forums I am suggesting

The new KUSA!!
A.General Spyder Discussion
1.General Spyder Forum
2.Non-Spyders
3.Veteran's forum (the one I suggested)
4.News and Updates
5.Non-paintball topics
B.Spyder Series
1.VS Series
2.Electronic
3.MR Series
4.Mechanical
5.Old School and Pumps
6.Ravens
C.Other Equipment
1.Air Systems
2.Barrels and Paint
3.Hoppers and Masks
4.Custom
D.Tips-Polls-Misc.
1.Member Reviews
2.Polls
3.Picture Pages
E.Tourney Talk
1.Spyder Cup
2.Other Tournaments
3.Strategies
4.Players looking for Players
5.Field Chat
F.Trading Post
1.Stores Links and Info
2.Sales Corner
3.Sales Corner Feedback

xsgmike66x
06-18-2007, 08:22 AM
While condensing the forums in to simply "electronic" "mechanical" give a cleaner look, I think that it is to broad. Getting rid of some of the inactive forums, such as AMG..etc.. would be great, but in my opinion alot of "noobs" that come to the forum will look for the specific forum that applies to their gun making it simpler to find an answer with searching. Also when it is broken down it makes it more user friendly IMO. Think about it, if people post over a wide variety of forums, or its condensed into one its all the same amount of post, thus not makin the forum more busy but giving an illusion that it is. What I would think would be a good idea is that if you broke it down in to "mechanical" and "electronic" then when you clicked it it brought you to another section with a break down of the markers seperate forums, and a general forum for general electronical or mechanical gun talk.
Why condense a forum because it is slowing down, but instead make it bigger, more inviting, and better so hopefully the forum will grow and will give a bigger place for communication and gun talk.

A "non spyder" forums could not possible get approved in my opinion. Becuase think, this is a spyder forum at the end of the day and kingman will not want people coming here for tech answers on other guns. Its a great idea but I don't think kingman will go for it.

Advertisement is also a great idea, but may take awhile to get on its feet. A good way still has to be thought up to get this done, but its an idea that can be played with. For the time being why don't us members spread the forum by word of mouth. While at a feild if you see a begginer with a spyder or anyone with a spyder, even if you dont shoot one any more, go up to them and start talkin about how u started with one and everything and give them the forum url and tell them if they need help or ne thing what a great site this is.

Games = ftw, I loved that rocket man game....

marvin-martian
06-18-2007, 08:23 AM
*special memberships
I spent a great deal of time thinkinng about this one. The forums are kind of like the kids table at Thanksgiving. Kingman owns and "runs" these forums, right? Why not give something back to those members who support them? have multiple levels with something for them at each level. first level gets the marketing material just like the dealers (and we probably are more interested), and some other little throw away gimme. Second level bumps up the gimmies, third level, maybe you start to see small discounts in products/ability to purchase early? And, Maybe have a special section for the supporting members where we get to see new product a little early, or maybe even where Kingman can ask what we're interested in for their next markers? Ability to purchase raw, unanodised parts, how about the ability to purchase parts with this fancy new membership?

what about those of us members who would like to support the boards, but havent played paintball in years?

bamf-hacker
06-18-2007, 08:26 AM
You are all coming up with great idea. Please keep them coming as we want this to be a great site to come and visit.

Critical
06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
what about those of us members who would like to support the boards, but havent played paintball in years?

Pure profit! Just kidding, but honestly, it's a paintball community, I would think that the majority of people who would pay anything would be actively playing as well.

As far as expanding/keeping the individual forums. It's not so much a matter of making it look busier than it is, but all the markers are internally the same. Maybe list out what markers are supported by which forum?

vwjimmy
06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I think encouraging people to talk here rather than on outside chat engines would keep people here rather than just checking in.
Also, I think we should split the B/S/T section to at least three sections:
Markers
Parts/Upgrades
Everything Else
This would increase its use I think because pople are not always willing to go through several threads to find the piece they are looking for
We need more pm space....it is not impossible to manage, but someones fills up a few times and it is easy to agrevated and stop trying.
We need to enourage new posters. I see so many threads where some 'use search stupid' comes up in some form or other....if I was younger I would probably get scared off. If we are here to help our fellow posters, then we need to...period. It is funny how many great, complete answers were posted when there was a loader on the line...we need to maintain that vigor all the time, even if we are answering questions more than once.
This is a great place, well supervised and managed. We need to remember that while fun is fun, some things go too far. The first April Fools on the new boards resulted in a horrible pink screen with huge fonts...that was funny. This years was a complicated, scary, and concerning hoax that made many members onder wheather they were on the SOC or the 'Nation! We need to be careful that we do not go so far as to make members question our professionalism.
There should be a BOLD, ATTENTION GETTING, outline on our cover page drawing visitors to a type of 'Mission Statement' we create outlining our site, our intentions, our methods, our expectations, etc...not just a sticky in each section, but a 'Welcome New Visitors/Users' type of thing
Lastly, we should encourage member social interaction here. More than random posting, knowing each other as we do makes this the special place it is....threads encouraging us to get to know each better are always a good idea.
Well, that i enough of my hot air for now...hope this helps! ;)

Critical
06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I totally agree about the B/S/T section and the PM capacity thing. Maybe as a perk of the veteran/supporting member thing?

But, I also think they are looking for more than suggestions on what forums to axe or keep, so I'm going to shut my trap on that from now on.

marvin-martian
06-18-2007, 08:53 AM
thats...very good jim.

HelpDeskHustler
06-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Ya, I use 50 pm's in a couple of days with sales threads.

NeedForSpeed
06-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I totally agree with the pm space. I can't believeI didn't suggest that. I 've had to clear out twice already in a month. I'm almost maxed out again.
Although I like my veteran idea..I think that should be a "perk" of supporting..because for all of those looking to b/s/t a lot need the extra space to keep sane so therefore you might get more supporters. (Although I do think the veteran idea would be good still)

I third or w/e the b/s/t forum break up.

Just another though, I personally don't like the subforum idea. Like I click the electronic marker link and it brings me to a new page with all the markers listed in subforums..doesn't do anything but make it more of a hassle. So if the B/S/T expands..make it all on the home forum page

VS3 Sniper
06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
How about ad spaces for rent let paintball related companies rent ad space for a small fee in a specific thread. I like the vid section idea also. More PM space would be great even if it was raised to 75 or 80 that would be a big help just in itself. Maybe if we could post an ad on the nation under the kingman forums we could get some new members. Also we could have an online raffle for a kingman gun like vs2/3 or one of the MR series we might be able to get kingman to give us a gun to raffle or sell us one at a discount. I like the split b/s/t section idea too.

shunut
06-18-2007, 09:18 AM
While more PM space would be great I don't think it will help draw in more members and liven the site up. Which is what we want to do. We want more members and we want them to stay. We want more quality discussions, more life, you know what I mean? Right now we barely have a pulse, we want sinus tachycardia.

Great ideas so far, keep them coming...

durrell
06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
One thing I've noticed is that the majority of members here are at least age 15 and up. Many of the members we lose, we lose to PBN. Do you guys think we're a little too strict, or maybe take the "family oriented" too far? Do you think there should be a separate OSST-type forum for those that wish to participate? This is not saying that another subforum for OT posts is even possible, it's purely a hypothetical question..we just want to know what you long standing (and new) members think. Too strict? Just right? Let us know.

NeedForSpeed
06-18-2007, 09:55 AM
wow, I was thinking about this while sitting on the toilet...:o
I think it should stay the way it is. Maybe loosen it up just a tiny bit but the "family" thing is what makes this forum different and personally more enjoyable for me and I'm sure many others here.

MR2 Woodsballer
06-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I think as far as the forums go they could use a lil improvement here and there, but I prefer to spend my free time here over the nation anyday. Simply because you get more of a home/family feal. And no I don't think you mods are to strict. Basicly just get the attention that there are other fourms out there (besides the dumb nation).

marvin-martian
06-18-2007, 10:00 AM
thats a tough question D. there are positives and negatives to both sides of the issue.

lenient mods
- will have to control flaming
- as long as we arent hostile, it can be more inviting to younger people
- could make our older members feel out of place

current strictness
- members can feel safe knowing a mod can protect them
- creates more of a family atmosphere (i think?)
- some members can (and have) feel as though you guys need to lighten up

this is by no means complete, just off the top of my head.

vikingshadow
06-18-2007, 10:01 AM
On the "Non-Spyder" forum issue...

Take out the Veteran's forum and make it "Non-Spyders" some people i've talked to think this is only a spyder board because there's no room for other markers. We need a forum with the title for other markers

A "non spyder" forums could not possible get approved in my opinion. Becuase think, this is a spyder forum at the end of the day and kingman will not want people coming here for tech answers on other guns. Its a great idea but I don't think kingman will go for it.

Before I became a mod, I suggested this very same idea. And the very same reasoning was given for NOT having one - this is a KINGMAN paid-for, sponsored site. They aren't going to spend their company money talking about another company's products. Made sense then, makes sense now.

I think encouraging people to talk here rather than on outside chat engines would keep people here rather than just checking in.

I think this is a good idea. I've seen countless posts about people talking about what happened the night before in the chat room (even been there a couple times myself though I'm not much for that kind of thing as you guys know) but then I wonder, where are these people on the forums??? In my personal opinion, though I didn't want to say it before, when the chat idea came up was when the forums started dying down...

Don't know a solution for it though. People do like real-time talking!

Also, I think we should split the B/S/T section to at least three sections:
Markers
Parts/Upgrades
Everything Else

This would increase its use I think because pople are not always willing to go through several threads to find the piece they are looking for

Like this one as well.

We need to enourage new posters. I see so many threads where some 'use search stupid' comes up in some form or other....if I was younger I would probably get scared off. If we are here to help our fellow posters, then we need to...period. It is funny how many great, complete answers were posted when there was a loader on the line...we need to maintain that vigor all the time, even if we are answering questions more than once.

I know I personally cringe when I see that kind of post, and it's not even directed at me. I get upset with the person who says it and want to type back that it would have been MUCH easier just to give the answer than be an ass. Who cares if you've seen the answer before - they haven't and they would greatly appreciate the response and probably come back for more - and eventually become a productive member of the forums. Really - who hasn't been the new guy at least once in their lives???

Everyone is coming up with great ideas - keep 'em coming! :D

vikingshadow
06-18-2007, 10:08 AM
thats a tough question D. there are positives and negatives to both sides of the issue.

lenient mods
- will have to control flaming
- as long as we arent hostile, it can be more inviting to younger people
- could make our older members feel out of place

current strictness
- members can feel safe knowing a mod can protect them
- creates more of a family atmosphere (i think?)
- some members can (and have) feel as though you guys need to lighten up

this is by no means complete, just off the top of my head.

That;s a good point, marv. This is the same issue we contend with in the penthouse - do we lighten up and take a chance that this place goes to pot, or stay the same and lose members to more "flame-friendly" environments.

This sounds odd, but it's not a confrontation. Perhaps if we knew were to do the lightening up, that might help? We do what the others have done before us, so it's all we know. Personally, I really wish people would stop comparing us to the nation, shoot, I don't want to even start comparing ourselves to PBNation because if we even start being like them, well, I think it's just bad.

newkid
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
yea i think we need to update the mods,the last time scappy and dex posted it was november

VS3 Sniper
06-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I perfer soc because if u have an amg or and tippy 98 ppl don't look down their noses at u just because mommy and daddy bought them an ego. Also I like the "family feel" of this forum. I don't think the mods are too strict here I would rather have rules and guildlines than like the chaos over on the nation.

shunut
06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
The only problem with a chat room on the board is it would have to be a clean chat room and everyone would have to watch what they say very closely. With AIM we can say what we want and not worry about getting in trouble because it has nothing to do with the board.

That being said, I still like the idea of a chat room directly linked to the board, we'd just have to iron out some rules for it.

Critical
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe I'm too old (32) or too something else, I can't stand chat. Knock yourself out if you think it'll help though. And, I personally think that the mods are doing a good job, not too restrictive, not too lenient. I think that, on every board I've been on, (going back to the old WWIV BBS boards) has had complaints in both directions about the mods, so that's not a huge deal. I wouldn't loosen up, that's just inviting trouble and a whole new crop of users who will test you to see what they can get away with. Something that was mentioned before was bringing people in, and then keeping them here. That happens to be my line of work, professionally. In order to get people here, you need, in rough order:
- marketing/merchandising to make people aware of site
- incentive to log on
- visual appeal/understandable layout
Once you've got them on the site, then you move to the second part, keeping them, in no particular order:
- content
- response to new members/dumbass questions
- atmosphere of membership
- quality of authority
- special stuff (vendor/product reps, corporate involvement, sneak previews, memebership perks, etc.)

By no means am I the definitive expert, or that this is the end-all-be-all list. Just some quick thoughts while I'm supposed to be working. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that the biggest problem is attracting new membership. What is Kingman willing/able to put in the mix to get that? Because, at the end of the day, that's who pays the bill. If Kingman wants to expand the site beyond its current traffic, it doesn't come free. Now, if it's just us BS-ing about what would make this internet utopia, that's something entirely different.

Kenny_McCormic
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
get id of all the marker specific subforums and merge what we have into mechs, electros, mr series, and vs series. and figure out what happened to otter

Theheroguy
06-18-2007, 05:36 PM
you should bring up the accessories section to the where general is so people like me don't forget about it

whats fbt?

don't be less strict I like not getting flamed by racist homophobic 12 year olds

marvin-martian
06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Fine Babe Thread

HelpDeskHustler
06-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Fine Babe Thread
If we use FBT to get people to come here it will change it's meaning to Fifteen-year-old Bait Tread :dodgy:

marvin-martian
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
ah, chris will be pleased...

Maxx-Damage
06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
If we use FBT to get people to come here it will change it's meaning to Fifteen-year-old Bait Tread :dodgy:
hey, go easy. the fourteen year olds are more*..........than us fifteen yr olds. Its wierd, or my school is muith. Figure that one out....:p
*this yr anyway....

pb34
06-18-2007, 07:25 PM
hey, go easy. the fourteen year olds are more*..........than us fifteen yr olds. Its wierd, or my school is muith. Figure that one out....:p
*this yr anyway....

huh?

Anyway, I prefer having the specific categories for each gun. I think it is easier for people to ask specific questions. But seeing as it looks like Kingman is only making the Pilot now I guess it could be reduced to Electro, MR, and VS like others have said. I think a games section would be nice too, although I would get too distracted:p Overall, I enjoy this forum far more than PBN because of the family-like feel and all of you kind people. Keep up the good work!

Hossy
06-18-2007, 08:04 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the majority of members here are at least age 15 and up. Many of the members we lose, we lose to PBN. Do you guys think we're a little too strict, or maybe take the "family oriented" too far? Do you think there should be a separate OSST-type forum for those that wish to participate? This is not saying that another subforum for OT posts is even possible, it's purely a hypothetical question..we just want to know what you long standing (and new) members think. Too strict? Just right? Let us know.

I think that we should. I really think that many of us would like to take it a step further(sp?) if people want to then they can. The one thing about the family oriented thing that i like is i have made friends on here, i mean were all not best of friends, but we all seem to have a great time in the chat, get along and have a good game of warfish. I would like to keep that stay the same. It is a very small forum, and we wont ever really get huge, because as i see our numbers are basically brought on by the new players. Nobody that has higher end guns are just going to join out of the blue to be like, hey i need help on my Angel. The angelowners is for that.

What im trying to say is it doesnt seem that there is a super way to drag people on. Maybe we could ask kingman to put something on their site as like an ad saying "Need help? KUSA or SOC is here for you" or whatnot. Along with the family oriented thing i like seeing our mods be friends for the mostpart and get along, have a fun time in the 'Penthouse' and still get the job done quickly and precisely if there needs to be something done.

IF I had to see one thing changed, have a contest or something....and maybe like an OSST section that you have had to be on here for some time, or something that people can try to stay on here for awhile and keep it more lively.

I guess that makes sense....
dont make it too much like PBN

Kenny_McCormic
06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
if we did that everything would start revolving around buttsecks

bigred76
06-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Hmm, an OSST is a good idea. It'd be nice to be able to come to these boards and *looks around to see that it wont offend anyone* just post without worrying that nubes will come in and **** everything up like they always seem to do. Hossy is right on about that, though. Stricter regulation than of PBN's version would be necessary.

I like the chatrooms, but you cannot blame them for the lack of posting. Individual IMs get business done quicker than PM's and is merely an easier way to communicate. The chats have died down since last summer when I stopped making them, actually. Girlfriend came along and now I have no more time on the comp! Imagine that! When we have them and a lot of people are on (normally 5 or so older members) we can talk for about 3-4 hours depending on what's going on, just about anything. That's the beauty of it; it's not all about paintball, but if something comes to mind, you can ask and have an answer right away.

And Jim... QFT on this year's prank. It scared the crap out of me, I thought they were dead serious. Even Matt had me going. More professionalism is desired next near at that time... No more making BigRed have heart attacks, K?

Ace24
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Up the PM's to 200 like PBN? Maybe?

Other then that... SOC stickers like PBN has. I'd put one on my gear!

pbfreak3221
06-19-2007, 03:25 AM
if we did that everything would start revolving around buttsecks
Please...Please no buttsecks.

Nenkitsune
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I like the vid section. maybe a picture gallery like some other forums have

applesauce
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
maybe split the picture sections, i get sad when i see "check this out!!!!!" and its some dudes speakers, or crappy car or whatever. so like a paintball only pic page and a general picture page would be cool

leed
06-20-2007, 09:48 AM
A picture gallery = Large Bandwidth. I think a picture forum is fine, and a video forum. Or just call it a Paintball Multimedia Sub-Forum.

NeedForSpeed
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I say we don't yell at people from bringing up old threads in the paintball sections of this forum. People can always learn from them. I know pretty much everyone will disagree, but I guess I'm just tired of seeing "Don't bring up old threads" Why? Are they completely worthless now that they are two month old?

HelpDeskHustler
06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I say we don't yell at people from bringing up old threads in the paintball sections of this forum. People can always learn from them. I know pretty much everyone will disagree, but I guess I'm just tired of seeing "Don't bring up old threads" Why? Are they completely worthless now that they are two month old?
because then it becomes acceptable in NPT, where it's horribly annoying and it isn't part of "Nettequite". People hate seeing their comments from 3 months ago in a thread they think is new and then thinking "when did i say that". besides then we'd yell at people for not searching through 10 pages of garbage posts when the question has already been posted.

bigred76
06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
:yeahthat: It's perfectly acceptable to LOOK at old threads, but for the love of GOD, do NOT bring them back. We have been there, done that. If you have soemthing to add and it relates to it and your question was not answered in the threads (note the S, it means that there's always more than one thread on a topic!) that were in your search, feel free to post a new one.

Critical
06-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Two more thoughts I had about forums (yes, I know, I said I wouldn't go back to that, I'm in marketing, I lie)

1. Spimmy forum! There's enough people here who have built one, are building one or want to build one, that I think it would be nice to have it's own section.

2. Advanced B/S/T forum. I can't stand having to post a new sale thread every time I've got something for sale, and then threads from 4 months ago pop up, or the title of the thread is no longer valid. Have a forum where we can just put "Username's B/S/T" and we can add/delete as we go.

marvin-martian
06-22-2007, 08:02 AM
2. Advanced B/S/T forum. I can't stand having to post a new sale thread every time I've got something for sale, and then threads from 4 months ago pop up, or the title of the thread is no longer valid. Have a forum where we can just put "Username's B/S/T" and we can add/delete as we go.
that would create a hassle for those who are buying. they know what they want, but they would have to look in every thread to see if that person has it, instead of skimming the thread title.

bigred76
06-23-2007, 01:15 AM
I don't agree with either or those, Critical.

The Spimmy forum is aight, but you know what... that Vet's forum works fine for that. They are closest related to Timmy's, so that's where the proper position is anyways.

A B/S/T forum like that would be hard to navigate, like Marv said, even with search. The old POSTS would then be the problem instead of the old threads. If typing a post is hard for you, then damn... that's just weird. There's a box at the bottom of the damn screen to type in, you just have to think of what you want to put. Best way I've found to do sales threads on any forum is to just take a Word file and put in everything like rules, feedback links, etc, and just copy and paste that and put in all the pertinent info. Isn't too hard that way!

Critical
06-23-2007, 04:09 AM
After thinking about it, you're probably right about the B/S/T forum, but it was just a thought. However, you misunderstood me about the posts. I don't have problems posting, that would be wierd, I sometimes have problems with old sale threads popping up months later about stuff thats been gone for a while. I was just trying to think of a more board-centric solution.

I still like the spimmy forum idea. Non-spyder pumps have their own forum!

bigred76
06-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Mebbe if there was a sort of system to lock threads, but not delete them so others could view them, after a certain point of non-use that would rectify the situation. It's have to exclude the Sticky's, of course. That would keep the nubes from posting in the old threads.

That's because there is a semi-strong base of pumpers here. Vet's forum IMO covers all other marker types, because that's normally what veterans shoot.

vwjimmy
06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Mebbe if there was a sort of system to lock threads, but not delete them so others could view them, after a certain point of non-use that would rectify the situation. It's have to exclude the Sticky's, of course. That would keep the nubes from posting in the old threads.

I belive this forum engine includes the ability to archive threads.....
In archive, they could still be viewed and posting would not be an option....I wonder if it could be set to automatically archive threads after a set time period?

STRIKEFIRST
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I think we need a where's Otter game...similar to wheres waldo...

MR2 Woodsballer
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I think we need a where's Otter game...similar to wheres waldo...

:lolsign: :yeahthat:

bigred76
06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Otter is off being Otter... vacationing whenever I happen to ask for him.

I see that the mods are adding in a Bad Company section? Wtfm8? Other than that, good changes so far.

HelpDeskHustler
06-26-2007, 06:34 AM
I've got my first post button readied for the BC forum

shunut
06-26-2007, 08:33 AM
You can relax that button a bit because I think it will be a bit before you'll actually be able to post in it.

clickclicksplat
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I've got my first post button readied for the BC forum

...aaaaand it's gone.

Maxx-Damage
06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
.........and its back. Who ever typed it, made a typo. General information on Tema Bad Company Not unless this is the typing style...

durrell
06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
We wanted to see who was on grammar patrol around here..:p

marvin-martian
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
will BC be on the boards and tell us inside information or something?

Maxx-Damage
06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
We wanted to see who was on grammar patrol around here..:p
Good, i guess i can be the head of that devision.:dodgy:

durrell
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Good, i guess i can be the head of that devision.:dodgy:

We'd let you be the head of that division, but you spelled it wrong. :dodgy:

clickclicksplat
06-27-2007, 05:57 PM
will BC be on the boards and tell us inside information or something?

I'm gonna guess since normal members (or at least me, maybe they just hate me :p ) can't start threads in it, there's something special planned...

paintballer5646
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm gonna guess since normal members (or at least me, maybe they just hate me :p ) can't start threads in it, there's something special planned...

You hit the nail on the head ;)

If anything we need more posting, I get bored here and go to PBN. I'd love to stay here it's just so boring sometimes.

shunut
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I wish we could have images in our sig.

NeedForSpeed
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM

eehhh. They'd have to be small imo.

bigred76
06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
QFT! Images in our sigs would be awesome. I didn't even think of that, Josh! :)

And Doc, Spelling and Grammar are different. Spelling is the words by themselves, and grammar is how the the words go together. Mike, Vike, and I would be a good Grammar And Spelling Patrol. ;)

Drefish99
06-27-2007, 09:07 PM

That would mean we would enable HTML code in sigs. That would open up a lot of possibilities of our members getting hit intentionally or unintentionally with viruses or trojans.

Maxx-Damage
06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
We'd let you be the head of that division, but you spelled it wrong. :dodgy:

theres goes any hope....:p

vikingshadow
06-28-2007, 07:16 AM
theres goes any hope....:p

And if that previous one didn't do it, this one did! :p

I'm just playing with ya....no harm done!

shunut
06-28-2007, 08:20 AM
That would mean we would enable HTML code in sigs. That would open up a lot of possibilities of our members getting hit intentionally or unintentionally with viruses or trojans.

Yeah, I know, thats why I only wish we could have it.

SparkyGT
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
havent read em all, so my ideas could be duplicates
1-Annual supporting members, joined at PBN, less boneheads, over there it helps
2-every year your on here get a special 1-2-3-4- yr tag by your name
3- more PM space after a year on here
4-forum only for veterans after 1 year on boards
5-video section
6-ASM , or long time forum member giveaways
7-noticed like some say that board is "dead" something needed to get more people in here.
9-split up B/S/T into mech guns, elec guns, parts, other non pball stuff, and a wanted section
10-Larger avatars for long time/ or asm members like maybe 2,3 years - sizing at least 100x100 20kb?
11-for buying/selling have a paypal/MO /cash info TAG, either on user profile, or selling/buying thread

but im happy to say this was my first paintball forum ever.

pbfreak3221
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Decent ideas, I like most of them, but we have to be careful we don't want this to be pbn.

Critical
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
PBN would be a decent place if it wasn't for the users. :D

SparkyGT
06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
PBN would be a decent place if it wasn't for the users. :D

thats why i joined ASM there, there is also the Old school forums, ya have to be there a year to join

-but same thing could happen here if ya get 1000 new signups, probly 10% are goona be smacktards

NeedForSpeed
07-01-2007, 07:16 AM
I like these ideas but this is what I would do to some of them

2-every year your on here get a special 1-2-3-4- yr tag by your name that would be nice I guess but wouldn't have much signifigance if you only visisted the boards once ever 4 months

3- more PM space after a year on here after a year and so many posts

4-forum only for veterans after 1 year on boards after 1 year and so many "helpful" posts later

10-Larger avatars for long time/ or asm members like maybe 2,3 years - sizing at least 100x100 20kb? yes. I like that more than the pictures in signature

11-for buying/selling have a paypal/MO /cash info TAG, either on user profile, or selling/buying thread could help

but im happy to say this was my first paintball forum ever. ME TOO. many years ago when I first started the old boards here were great.

marvin-martian
07-01-2007, 07:36 AM
nfs, how would we monitor the number of helpful posts for everybody?

Critical
07-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I think it would be easier to moniter the "smacktard"-edness of posts, so, it wouldn't be so much a matter of helpfulness as a matter of not being an idiot.

NeedForSpeed
07-01-2007, 07:49 AM
well it would really be a judgement call by the mods. or whoever is designated. maybe it could be a vote by the "veterans".
Only people that really contribute by trying to help others would be permited. Other's who rarely post in threads in which people ask questions and only stick to the non-paintball section or things of that nature would not. We don't really have anyone like that now but in the future we may..

marvin-martian
07-01-2007, 07:56 AM
well it would really be a judgement call by the mods. or whoever is designated. maybe it could be a vote by the "veterans".
Only people that really contribute by trying to help others would be permited.
then it wouldnt be a "veterans forum", but a "helpful peoples forum." and that still doesnt really answer my question. the forum itself counts posts, but if people count the "helpful ones" then they are subject to make mistakes and the count wouldnt be as accurate.

Other's who rarely post in threads in which people ask questions and only stick to the non-paintball section or things of that nature would not. We don't really have anyone like that now but in the future we may..
yes we do have people like that.

NeedForSpeed
07-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I didn't actually mean "count" the posts. I meant if a person is helping out a lot more then not and is an asset to the boards he/she would be permitted. If a person is helpful and an asset to the board he/she would probably have a lot more "helpful" posts that wouldn't be "counted" but would be pretty evident that they have helped a lot in their post count. I just don't see the advantage of having a "veterans forum" where the only requirment is one year of registration. Anybody could become a "veteran" by just signing up, posting a little, maybe visiting once every few months, and then coming back in year with new priviledges.

bigred76
07-01-2007, 08:11 PM
That just doesn't make much sense to me. Personally, I'm only around to post in threads that I see need to post in. I don't waste my time blindly helping someone when someone else answered the question already, which is what you're proposing would promote. Semi good idea for a private forum, but I think that it should be more like an OSST. Yes, I used a PBN word. :eek: Sue me. It really is a much better environment for those of us more "experienced" players to just sit back and post in.

I agree, anyone with 1yr here COULD technically get themselves in, even if they aren't that active. I would say that the mods should pick who to allow and who not to, but that would be a helluvajob and they'd have to deal with the "bias" issue. Anyone got a better idea for this system?

newkid
07-02-2007, 06:29 AM
for somebody to wait a year and not be active, I would think that they would lose intrest in the site or forget about the site

newkid
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I think that everyone should have a list of there favorite threads, which would make it easier for people to go to there favorite threads with out searching for them

HelpDeskHustler
07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I think that everyone should have a list of there favorite threads, which would make it easier for people to go to there favorite threads with out searching for them
click subscribe under thread tools and it appears on thread subscription list in user cp

Hossy
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Debate section?
we were talking about it in the chat...

marvin-martian
07-06-2007, 03:02 AM
while i think a debate section would be loads of fun, we already have npt, and most debate threads get closed rather quickly anyway...

vikingshadow
07-06-2007, 07:37 AM
That's usually because they break down into silly arguments because there are people that will fight to the internet death to get other people to side with them, whether they are right or wrong.

I like the idea of a debate section, but I can see it getting people angry and causing many to leave (any of you people who were here during the last election remember how many members left and got banned because of these "debate" threads? I can think of at least 4-5 off the top of my head...)

Hossy
08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Umm I dont really have another suggestion, but have you all (the mods) thought about any of these?

i guess you could also use it as a bump

durrell
08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Good question Hoss.

marvin-martian
08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
i completely forgot about this thread...

MVS1
08-03-2007, 08:46 PM
heres a thought, break down the sales corner more, have some thing like loaders/barrels/air systems, non-spyder markers/parts, spyder markers/parts, gear section and non-paintball items. i`m sure you all have similar layouts in other forums. that make it convient when your looking for something and dont feel like wading through a bunch of threads. should also help cut down on folks up`n their threads just to keep them on the first page.

vikingshadow
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I think we have thought of these, and had a pretty good discussion going in the penthouse - but really, all we can do is suggest to the higher ups. A lot of the stuff we don't have control over, but can send to those that do.

newkid
08-04-2007, 05:06 AM
even than otter, he says with fear

DFSniper
09-07-2007, 08:29 AM
heres a thought, break down the sales corner more, have some thing like loaders/barrels/air systems, non-spyder markers/parts, spyder markers/parts, gear section and non-paintball items. i`m sure you all have similar layouts in other forums. that make it convient when your looking for something and dont feel like wading through a bunch of threads. should also help cut down on folks up`n their threads just to keep them on the first page.

thank you! i completely forgot about that (havent been on here for a few months...) but i hate having to go through peoples posts trying to find what parts they're selling or to find a thread that somehow got buried under all the "ups" and new stuff that people just put out.

and i agree with marv's first post about traffic, even the NPT section seems to have slowed down over the years...

I didn't actually mean "count" the posts. I meant if a person is helping out a lot more then not and is an asset to the boards he/she would be permitted. If a person is helpful and an asset to the board he/she would probably have a lot more "helpful" posts that wouldn't be "counted" but would be pretty evident that they have helped a lot in their post count. I just don't see the advantage of having a "veterans forum" where the only requirment is one year of registration. Anybody could become a "veteran" by just signing up, posting a little, maybe visiting once every few months, and then coming back in year with new priviledges.

ive seen this on pc forums: a rating under the avatar, not exactly sure how it works tho... so when someones being helpful other people can rate them on a scale of 1-5 so that everyone knows whos helpful and whos not. i think that could solve that whole problem

bigred76
09-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Ha... hahaha... I'd mark certain people down for the hell of it, and I know that others would do the same. I'm not so sure that's a real good idea.

Nenkitsune
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
it's usually called a Kudo's system or Rep. Overclockers.net has a pretty good system setup. You get Rep by posting helpful posts (say you help someone out, they give you rep on the post that helped ya with a comment) you don't get negative rep though. they also have seller rep, which is the same thing, but for the bst section. it shows up in the bar that has your avatar and such.

oldironmudder
09-08-2007, 07:50 AM
I like what Nenkitsune said about a rating system.

And the idea of breaking the bst section down is pretty good. I guess some folks see it as a problem if thier post isnt near the top, but they will get over it. Be like me & forgt about it for 2 or 3 days then go pick it off the middle of the second page & throw it to the top of #1.

havent read em all, so my ideas could be duplicates
1-Annual supporting members, joined at PBN, less boneheads, over there it helps I guess something like that could work

2-every year your on here get a special 1-2-3-4- yr tag by your name Now what if you were on here back before the shutdown & restart? Ya I remember ubbthreads

3- more PM space after a year on here This would be real nice. Maybe not 200 like pbn but an extra 25-50 would be real nice.

4-forum only for veterans after 1 year on boards again, what about the guys that lay low for that year just to get in there??

5-video section would be nice but why when you can host them all over the net?

6-ASM , or long time forum member giveaways not to bad of an idea. What about an ASM or long time member forum?

7-noticed like some say that board is "dead" something needed to get more people in here. The marker building contest!!!

9-split up B/S/T into mech guns, elec guns, parts, other non pball stuff, and a wanted section I really really like this one.

10-Larger avatars for long time/ or asm members like maybe 2,3 years - sizing at least 100x100 20kb? The size right now works for me but a bit bigger would be for a good buffer zone when someone makes a new avatar.

11-for buying/selling have a paypal/MO /cash info TAG, either on user profile, or selling/buying thread I say put something either under post count or by your name about that.

SupaSnipa
09-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Maybe expand on the tech section...break it out into loader types. Just a thought. Other than that I can't think of a base that hasn't been covered.

:yeahthat:

Critical
09-08-2007, 10:06 AM
The thing that I came to realize as a result of this thread, and, I think the "powers that be" understood right from the start, is that many of the suggestions that were made are very good, but don't make sense unless/until the traffic picks up considerably. Take, for instance, the bst section. They could break it out, but as it is, a post will often take 3-4 days before it's bumped off the first page, in fact, some people bump their bst threads just because it's at the bottom of page 1. Additionally, the whole ASM/veteran user thing. Sure, it makes sense, and they could do a lot of special things for those members, however, the board itself is already a money loser for Kingman, why would they throw more money at it unless/until the traffic picks up enough to warrant it?

I really think that if we want SOC to improve (although the forum is already very nice) the first step has to be traffic.