PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Window Tint

shunut
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
As you guys know I just got a new car. The first thing and only thing I'm concerned with is getting the windows tinted. Since I live in AZ and we are coming up on the hot time of the year I need it done ASAP. Here is my problem. The guy at my friend's dealership can tint my car for pretty cheap, but the tint they use is not polarized. The tint I had on my Galant was polarized and I thought it was pretty nice so I wanted to get polarized window tint on this car as well. So I've been looking around for information on Polarized vs. Non-Polarized tint and I haven't been able to find much. So I'm wondering if anybody in our vast member pool knows anything about window tinting and can break everything down for me.

Hossy
06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I think im your guy, Josh.

Hit me up on AIM!

HelpDeskHustler
06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
i think its like 0% (10% on 6inch strip) on front 50% on front side up to full tint in the back side, 50% back. thats ohio.

shunut
06-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Here, in AZ, on the front windows legal limit is 33%. Back windows side and back you can go 0% as long as you have side view mirrors, or something like that.

I'm going limo all the way around though, just because it will keep my car way cooler. I just have to figure out if I'm going to have my friend's friend do it with the non-polarized stuff or find some place else. The tint my friend's friend uses is top of the line, made by a company called Madico. Blocks 99% of UV rays and blocks like 66% of the heat. Not sure if it contains metal or not.

HelpDeskHustler
06-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh... my bad i had numbers screwed up then... whereever I have 100... put in 0. i was thinking 100 like 100% you can't see in.

Oscum Guy
06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
i think its like 0% (10% on 6inch strip) on front 50% on front side up to full tint in the back side, 50% back. thats ohio.
i live in ohio too! that soun ds right.

leed
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Polarized is better for your eyes in general. It will greatly reduce UV rays coming through, and will also reduce road glare. Just as well, if you've ever been out on a 100% clear sunny day, it will make it easier to see, and you won't have to squint. Of course, I'm applying this from Sunglasses, but I'm assuming it would have the same effect.

vwjimmy
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
All of 3M's tint is UV protected...is that the same thing Josh?

shunut
06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure. I haven't looked at any of 3M's stuff. All tints have UV protection though.

leed
06-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, if that's the case (I wouldn't be one to know), then the only advantage to Polarized is getting rid of road-glare, and making it easier on your eyes as far as squinting goes.

bamf-hacker
06-14-2007, 05:54 AM
3M™ Black Chrome Automotive Window Film BC

That is the good stuff. Not cheap though, but will protect the car the best.

HelpDeskHustler
06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
3Mô Black Chrome Automotive Window Film BC

That is the good stuff. Not cheap though, but will protect the car the best.
window film? isnt that the stuff you just put on the windows.. cuz that stuff sucks.

shunut
06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
No, all window tint is actually called window film, well, most.

Hossy
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
window film? isnt that the stuff you just put on the windows.. cuz that stuff sucks.

Josh is right.
the one your thinking about may be the kind that people do thereselves to save money. IT is the same, but they dont get all of the water out or get the airbubbles out, and then they look really bad.