PDA

View Full Version : The spring...

sparx17
06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I cut the spring on the VS3. It had been shooting at 285, 283, 287. The chrono limit is 280. I cut the spring. It currently shoots sporatically between 300 and 140. Also, it now has a burping problem; it fails to recock. I shouldn't have cut the spring. I cannot find a spring kit for the VS series. Unlike the other spyder models and the slew of aftermarket spring kits the VS spring is about an inch shorter. I will be calling Kingman I suppose. Meanwhile, I am going to try to cut a spring from my 32degrees kit, but I am not optimistic. I shouldn't have cut the spring.

Any thoughts?

Kenny_McCormic
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
1 hear a god way to break in a nw spring is to turn the velocityall the way up fire a few times then turn it back down i havent tried this so i dont know if it actully works. you cut the spring to much only go like 1/4 of a coil at a time

4TheHoNor
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
They don't make spring kits for the VS just cut your 32* kit to match the stock spring. I have done this and have not had anyproblem with it.

DRAGON
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
It's inconsistent because you cut the spring. When cutting the spring, you cut the flat seat end of the spring off. Now rather than snug in place, it has a tendency to erradically bounce around seemingly the same as the velocity is now. If the velocity was too high(as most Spyder's are until the main spring is broken in) you could have simply left the marker cocked for about a week which would have weakened it enough to lower the velocity -

sparx17
06-11-2007, 07:14 PM
It's inconsistent because you cut the spring. When cutting the spring, you cut the flat seat end of the spring off. Now rather than snug in place, it has a tendency to erradically bounce around seemingly the same as the velocity is now. If the velocity was too high(as most Spyder's are until the main spring is broken in) you could have simply left the marker cocked for about a week which would have weakened it enough to lower the velocity -

I had thought about that, keeping it cocked to retrain the spring, so I'm glad to hear you say that. And with that in mind, it would make sense that the same method could work on a regular Spyder spring even though it's longer right? Especially with the lighter springs?

STRIKEFIRST
06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
You couldn't get the fps down by using the regulator?

sparx17
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I had it down to just under 200psi in order to shoot at 285fps, once I cut the spring it really had very little influence on the situation.

sparx17
06-13-2007, 08:45 PM
What about the valve spring? I haven't and don't really plan on touching it, but I was wondering if you guys knew if the VS valve spring is different than other spyders like the stryker spring? And is it worth even thinking about messing with later to help fine tune?

DRAGON
06-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Valve spring is the same. Do not double post! -