PDA

View Full Version : symbol/tattoo ideas

Moe
01-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, Im going to get a tattoo with a friend of mine when i turn 18 in a few months. I want it to be a symbol of some sort, but am having a hard time finding an old language that has cool symbols that have meaning. I dont want anything oriental, cuz thats what the posers have. And no arabic...cuz then im all terrorist...or greek, cuz sororities and frats are lamesauce.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Moe

Muddytaco
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
How about tibetan:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tibetan.htm

phatphil
01-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, it's not a language, but I always though the empire or evil logo would like sweet as tattoos.

shunut
01-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Look up Kangi. I have 4 kanji tattoos and I love them. Just make sure you find their true mean don't go by what they have at the tattoo place.

Actually check out this site: Free Kanji Symbols (http://student.santarosa.edu/~smurdock/)

ZippyWilikens286
01-29-2006, 07:22 PM
do a tribal... I draw some check them out (http://zippywilikens286.deviantart.com/gallery/), there are also lots of tattoo ideas on these webpages, just make sure to ask permission of the artist to use a design if you decide you like one.

BTW thats my tribal on my back next to my name, got the design from Inkedstar on the pages where i post my stuff also if you decide you like tribals alot try www.tribal-tattoos.net

Moe
01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Kanji looks alright, but it looks a bit oriental.

I dont really want tribal. I want it to mean something.

keep the ideas comming. thanks.

big_daddy_d
01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Kanji looks alright, but it looks a bit oriental.
Well Kanji looks a bit oriental because it is LOL, get something that means something to you, doesn't have to be a symbol, if you can explain what it is and why you got it then you should have no regrets...

bamf-hacker
01-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Don't get a Tat unless it is something that is important to you. Don't worry about the Asian symbols being for posers etc... If you like it and it means something to you do it. I have a bunch of Tats and the most important thing to remember is it on you forever (or at least until you decide to laser it off) Think about your tattoo placement also. Now it may not be a big deal to get a tattoo on your forearm, but 10 years from now when you need to get a job in the "Corporate World" you may regret what you have done.

Just my .02

And I am also getting a new Tat soon and it is an Asian symbol :) (the Year of the Dog, my baby's birth year. I already have my son's, Year of Ram! on my calf)

HacKeR

BallerX
01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
My wife works for Chrome Gardens Tattoo in Gettysburg, PA. One of your best bets is to come up with an idea of your own. Have something in your head, then setup a time to meet with a tattoo artist. Discuss your idea and have them draw up a few sketches for you to look at. Take a rough sketch idea in with you and let the artist create something for you.

Then you end up with a totally custom piece, and you've made the tattoo artist happy too....

03TiburonGT
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I agree that the Empire logo would look sick as a tat, otherwise go with something tribal

geeZus
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I know this is gonna shock the hell out of people...but why not get something religious? Religion seems to be an important part of you life, why not show it off?

/possession, back to normal geeZus

Getz teh nekkid ladiez...whew thats better.

MatthewTheTheif
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
one of my friends does some tat-like work, she is an incredible artist and is getting into the feild as soon as she can, but she gave me a drawing she did one day, idk if you can really see it, but my scanner isnt working

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/MatthewTheTheif/DSCN0113.jpg

Moe
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
thanks for all the replies, again.

Yeah, ive been thinking about placement. its definitely going to be somewhere that i can hide easily. no arms at all. As for religious, i do plan on getting a fish or a cross somewhere, but not first. and i would definitely get something that ment something to me. im still lookin for cool old languages that have symbols.

BallerX
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
When considering placement, think about after care as well. If your thinking of hiding the tattoo, don't put it somewhere that's hard for you to reach. You'll need to be able to reach the entire tattoo in order to treat it with tattoo goo or whatever aftercare product you use. Unless you have someone who can do that for you, putting it in the middle of your back may not be a good idea.

ZippyWilikens286
01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
yeah mine was kinda hard to reach. If you cant get tattoo goo, coco butter works well too... just make sure to follow all the instructions, last thing you want is a messed up tat that you paid good money for.

Sac
01-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Gaelic is a really cool language for tattoos i think.

*EM1-Master*
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Empire won't let you use their symbol... They put out ads in magazines saying that they're flattered that so many people are requesting permission to use it, but to find some other way to show their appreciation...

BallerX
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
And how exaclty would they stop you? And what could they do if you did get the tattoo?

I've seen so many people with Nike "swooshs"s, its actually annoying.

Santy
01-30-2006, 04:59 PM
And how exaclty would they stop you? And what could they do if you did get the tattoo?

Make you cut off that part of your body. :dodgy: Or pay them every time you step out in public with it in view.

MatthewTheTheif
01-30-2006, 05:02 PM
gaelic=not as cool on tats

i would suggest some celtic-like designs though

WhatThaSmurf
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
how about some symbols from different native american languages

Jago Kaast
02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I dont really want tribal. I want it to mean something.

haha funny i should come back to the forums and find something like this...

i actually JUST got a tat (my first) on sunday... (upper back, kinda bad pic)

http://myspace-138.vo.llnwd.net/00464/83/13/464813138_l.jpg

if u don't know your mathematical figures, thats an Infinity sign... what it means to me is unique-ness, neverending... as well as me going to school for mechanical engineering, i feel it fits me well... (other reasons as well)

as long as the tribal has meaning, it can be cool... i honestly don't like them if they just "look cool"... this one was designed by me and a friend... (i can't draw lol)

my main tip is get somthign that means something to yourself

-Jago