PDA

View Full Version : swelling orings

Kenny_McCormic
06-03-2007, 05:20 PM
does anybody know of something thatwill swell orings other than dow grease?

Oscum Guy
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
for your victor you should use a good oil based lube instead of grease. like hoppes or gold cup. i use remmington oil to.

Kenny_McCormic
06-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I use hoppes #9 but i want to swell the orings on my bolt because right now the bolt is bigger around than the orings so all the orings do is sit there.

Hob Hayward
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I dunno of anything other than dow55 to swell o-rings past the point that oil does.

Kenny_McCormic
06-03-2007, 07:19 PM
well never mind i said **** it and bought cheap derlin bolt im tired of the metal one scratching like crazy even after i polished it AND took out the scratches inside of the gun it still scratched even though i lubed it heaviley every thousand rounds

bigred76
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
DOW and other lubes work fine in Spyders. DOW55 works great for swelling... The Hoppes is most likely your issue. NEVER use firearm oil inside a paintball gun.

Kenny_McCormic
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
i tried some extreme rage paintball oil in it the thing was even worse the gun is much smother and shoots alot better with #9 an alot of modern firearms are made from plastic and alluminum just like a paintball gun but there is alot more stress put on firearm parts compared to a paintball gun if the #9 can hanle keeping real guns lubed then why not a paintball gun

Team Ramrod
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
because there are no o-rings in real firearms, firearm oil will corrode and eat away the o-rings over time.

Kenny_McCormic
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
pics or shens i dont believe you

Team Ramrod
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
do a little research before you make retarded childish comments like 'pics or shens'. Anyone who has been around the block and done a little research knows that chemicals in firearm oil will eat away at the urethane o-rings we use in paintball.

Darkh2o
06-04-2007, 02:01 PM

That's your choice to believe him or not. You make up your own mind.

But like stated above, :yeahthat: it will eat the o-rings. If you want to use firearm oil, go right ahead, but we warned you.:rolleyes:

If you want to use crisco, I can't believe it's not butter! or canola oil, go right ahead. We are just stating that these are not good for the gun and you want to use the correct lube or take a chance and damage things.

Oscum Guy
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
shotguns have o-rings. dunno about other guns tho.

Kenny_McCormic
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
when they start leaking and blowing out i will switch. that or when dunham carries some decent oil what do you guys recomend i want something faily thick that will last awhile (i wanna be able to shoot thrue a case without reoiling)

pbfreak3221
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
when they start leaking and blowing out i will switch. that or when dunham carries some decent oil what do you guys recomend i want something faily thick that will last awhile (i wanna be able to shoot thrue a case without reoiling)
Please learn how to spell/use proper English.

vikingshadow
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM

You know, some could actually say the same thing to you about your comment on using firearm oil. Perhaps netiquette rules should apply when you ask for help...

On this note, this is NOT PBNation so the flaming stops now. Everyone consider this a warning. Play nice or go home, as I tell my kid's friends.....

Air tool oil or Gold Cup (or other oil made specifically for paintball markers) is the best. My dad taught me a long time ago to NEVER cut corners when it comes to tools/equipment. Use the right tool/oil for the right job/equipment and you'll never have to go back and fix it later on. Now, I've even heard of people using 3-in-1 oil, but I've heard both good and bad on it so use at your own risk.

Sure, you could probably get away with using Hoppes oil, but in the long run it wasn't designed for this kind of use, and therefore won't be better for your paintball marker. Shoot, I even used vaseline on a Rocket Valve oring once because I couldn't get it in my gun correctly. Ended up having to pull it out and replacing it after about a year...sorry, no pics there so you'll have to take my word for it!

In answer to your first question, the only thing I know to swell orings would be Dow 55 and Vaseline (don't recommend this!) I use Dow 33 on every thing else since my guns don't use oil anymore...

Oscum Guy
06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
oh yeah, smart parts sleek is good too.

SparkyGT
06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
use 3 in 1 oil, air tool oil. I would think that transmission stop leak does some swelling of stuff like that. (i aint goona try to find out) I use dow on my timmies, got a big tube of it that should last me years.

Nenkitsune
06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
lol, oh, and when someone asks why their gundoesn't work, and says they used VEGGIE OIL to lube their gun. don't bother fixing it unless you have a sink and oven cleaner. my friend had a BE something (grey and plastic) wouldn't blowback at all. i took it apart, and eVERYTHING was coated in sticky veggie oil. simply scrubbing it did nothing, and it took spraying Oven cleaner in the gun and parts to clean it off.....it was horrible. he did the same thing to a spyder victor, which i had to tear apart, clean with oven cleaner (not nice to anno, but i would spray it, rinse it, dry it, so it was ok) it took a long time to clean....it was so....so....so....horrible *cries*

Voodoo27909
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Getting somewhere back toward the begining of this thread....type F transmission fluid will swell O-Rings

kbonnell
06-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I use hoppies on my air rifle and it has a bunch of orings. I never had a problem with it. I suggest you all try something before you say you cant do it. Canola oil is for cooking not guns. I wouldn't use a solvent at all, just look on the label for a solvent warning and you will be ok. Just make sure it isn't very thick since some oils will be heavy and slow down the performance.

vikingshadow
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I suggest you all try something before you say you cant do it.

Hmmmm, intereting advise since you haven't been here long enough (judging by your sign up date, though I may be wrong) to know that most of us HAVE had experience in our MANY years of playing - don't assume this place is full of PBNation idiots that just spout advice that we've heard. Several of us have experience with Hoppes oil (I've used it as well with negative effects) so yeah, there ya go.

Canola oil is for cooking not guns.

I'm sure that was mentioned in jest. I don't think anyone would suggest that in seriousness here.

Seriously, why skimp when taking care of your high cost paintball gear? Just pay a buck more for the PB oil (or air tool oil) and enjoy your gun for many years to come.

bigred76
06-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Lol... Hoppes... That stuff loves to melt o-rings to bodies form my experience. DOW55/33 and Slick Honey are my only lubricants nowadays (besides my tank; Air America called for Motor Oil and lithium grease in that *****, so I thought I'd oblige...).

Vike, PBNer attitude much? Relax dude, join date isn't as important here! He shouldn't be flaming, yes, but he seems smart enough to distinguish his ass from his face.

Kenny_McCormic
06-16-2007, 12:19 PM
can iuse some sort of motor oil or ATF?

vikingshadow
06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Vike, PBNer attitude much? Relax dude, join date isn't as important here! He shouldn't be flaming, yes, but he seems smart enough to distinguish his ass from his face.

No, I wasn't referring to his start date as a flame or a lack of credibility, read what I wrote again - what I meant was that he doesn't know enough of us well enough to say we need to go and experience stuff before we post because he hasn't been here long enough TO know us, see? I wasn't trying to come across that way (in fact, I felt like HE was coming across like a PBNer with his statement) so I figured I'd end it before it started.

pbfreak3221
06-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I think we should just end this thread, just me 2 cents.

vikingshadow
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Good idea.