PDA

View Full Version : PMR barrel stuck

applesauce
06-02-2007, 02:47 PM
the barrel that came with my pmr is kinda stuck, its a great barrel, but it would be nice to take it off once in a while!:p and ideas?

pbfreak3221
06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
strap wrench.

bigred76
06-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Nab one of your wife's rubber gloves that she cleans dishes with, and put it on your left hand and turn the barrel with that hand. Should increase the torque and grip you have. ;) Otherwise, PBFreak's right, a cheap, rubber strap wrench'd work fine and not mar your barrel.

applesauce
06-02-2007, 04:04 PM
i tried one of the ones used to open jars, broke that pretty quick! ill hafta try the ones meant for oil filters.

CHAOSFTW
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
rap a towel aorund it stivk it in a vice. but use enough towel so it doesn't scratch it.

xSoulsx
06-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Get a friend and have one person hold the barrel and you hold the gun (Or the other way arround..Does not matter) and both Twist the opposite way ( Make sure you are twisting it the loosen way)

vikingshadow
06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Jeezeepeezee - how tight did you put it on??? I've never had a barrel get stuck on a gun before!

Rubber glove or strap wrench would be my suggestion, then not putting it on so tight next time...

Oscum Guy
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
strap wrench. happened to my electra once.

Muddytaco
06-02-2007, 07:10 PM
if you can't get it off by strength go pick up some liquid wrench from homedepot, just spray it around threads and it will let you unscrew anything, just make sure to clean it off afterwards

applesauce
06-03-2007, 10:49 AM
yea, its not the stock barrel, its a bob long assassins barrel, and i think the area around the threads is just to bog, ill try a heavy duty strap wrench, otherwise maybe ill pick up that liquid stuff. I think ill check the bargain bin for an proto barrel. are they cocker threads?

DRAGON
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Depending on the manufacturer, I've heard of some people having probs with barrels. Something to do with a threading deviation. Yes, the PMR has Cocker threading -

When you get this off, look at the barrel threads then look at where the threads end in the body. You'll notice that the body threads end at the inner most concave point of the top edge of the body. So essentially when screwing the barrel on, once you cannot see the threads of the barrel any longer, the barrel is completely screwed on. Some might be used to having to screw the barrel in a bit more once you cannot see the threads any longer and overtighten it. I almost did this myself. Using a lubricated o-ring on the barrel will help you to avoid what you're experincing now. I assume there isn't one at all on the barrel you're having probs with right now -

I would not use any spray thread loosener since rusting is not your concern. Torque is your concern. If any of that stuff got into the noid or electrinics, expect other probs to arise -

Maxx-Damage
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
1. Put gun between legs
2. Hold onto barrel and twist
3. Hope that the guns threads are not destroyed
Thats what i did when my mr2 barrel got stuck.

applesauce
06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
thanks for the help everyone...i got it off.

if anyone has this trouble suggest taking a strap such as the kind you find on jar openers, or anything thats has some grip to it, and wrapping it around the barrel and putting it in a vice. this helps to prevent scratches and also adds torque. this is what i did and it came off with not too much force.

im going to put an oring on the barrel, i though it had one (oops!)