PDA

View Full Version : i'm looking for a custom gripframe....

SpyderFan
06-02-2007, 01:32 PM
i want to make the mr1 shorter but still keep long barrel accuracy and the stability of a stock. in short, i want an AUG style mr1. where could i find a trigger like this? i know that the a5 has one, so it can be done.

for anyone who doesnt know what an AUG is, imagine putting a stock butt plate flush against the back of the gun, and move the trigger forward (near the breach) and add a foregrip further down the barrel.

there are a couple of problems that need to be fixed with this mod (like the weight distribution and the loader location) but the most important is the trigger.

Taillo
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I am actually planning on doing an AUG out of an mr1. There is no trigger avalaible that fit the looks of it so i will make one out of wood like i did with my dragunnov. See this picture:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/taillo/DSC00644.jpg

I think you wont need to move the trigger forward because the fingerguard of the AUG's handle will attach exactly in the same spot as the fake mag grip on the MR1, using shorter screws.

In order to attach a rail similar to the one of the AUG, you will probably need to do some milling on the rail on the front of the gun. (removing the front iron sight) The AUG rail is already a little bit offset to the left so with this offset the rail/carryhandle will stay out of the hopper's way.

The front grip will have to be attached directly to the barrel using a barrel mount or a home made attachment method. Remember the front grip of the AUG can be folded forward.

For the barrel, an AUG can be set with diffenrent barrels, there are some AUG with very short barrels for CQB. There is one 3 inches barrel avalaible at RAP4 with good reviews on its range, but it is not long enough to attach a barrel mount for the front grip.

A medium lenght with a 6" to 12" inch barrel as in DIE HARD 1 will do. ( the last vilain who raise out of his bodybag with his gun already on his hand at the end of the movie, i think his name is Karl Gruber...)

And a very long sniper version can be seen in POINT OF NO RETURN and NIKITA in the hotel snipe assassination scene. 16" to 21" inches barrel.

I am also trying to see if it will be possible to hide a Qloader inside the stock to keep it low profile but i have seen AUGs with underbarrel grenade launchers so the look wont be ruined with an underbarrel Qloader.

Here is a quick and rough, not on scale plan of what i want to do:http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/taillo/MRAUG.jpg

I hope all this will help you cause you surely will finish this project before i do... Good luck.

DRAGON
06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
damn, that's nice taillo :eek:

i had a mas back in the 90's and the bullpup design requires you push the trigger frame way forward but you keep the breech and clip back towards your shoulder. in the mas, it has the trigger up front but does not directly release the bolt, or in the case of paintball markers, the sear. how this is accomplished on the firearm version is, there is a long rod that connects to the trigger mechanism that runs back to a bolt release mechanism. You would need the same rod setup on a paintball marker. You would not want to shorten the barrel at all as the foregrip is barely in back of the end of the barrel. With the firearm version, it takes a while to get used to or you could easily shoot yourself in the hand if quickly placing your hand in the wrong spot of the foregrip. Personally I think you're opening up a can of worms trying this w/a paintball marker unless you are a gunsmith/machinist with all the skills, resources and equipment to do so. Adapting an existing airsoft bullpup to a paintball version seems the easiest route and even that would be quite a challenge -

SpyderFan
06-02-2007, 05:55 PM
damn, that's nice taillo :eek:

i had a mas back in the 90's and the bullpup design requires you push the trigger frame way forward but you keep the breech and clip back towards your shoulder. in the mas, it has the trigger up front but does not directly release the bolt, or in the case of paintball markers, the sear. how this is accomplished on the firearm version is, there is a long rod that connects to the trigger mechanism that runs back to a bolt release mechanism. -

well, i was planning on doing something like the rod set up you're talking about.
since theres no trigger i can just buy, i'll be buying an extra frame. i'll put one frame in the 'default' position and trim it down so that all thats left is about a half inch of the trigger and the mounting holes. i'll then take the extra frame and mount it under the barrel using a sort of bracket that mounts in the foregrip holes and extends to where i want the front frame. after that its as simple as connecting the two triggers with the rod setup you were talking about. its alot simpler than it sounds.

SpyderFan
06-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I hope all this will help you cause you surely will finish this project before i do... Good luck.

ummm, actually i'm in high school and leaving on vacation soon so i have no job and i probably wont start on this until august.

newkid
06-03-2007, 05:31 AM
man taillo that sharp

SpyderFan
06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
up