PDA

View Full Version : Dremmel Polishing Questions.

Ace24
06-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Well, I'm getting the 300I Series Dremmel with the 50 peice kit today and I have a few questions about polishing.

The kit comes with buffing wheels... I know what's used for polishing, but what my question is, is what bit would I use to do anno polishing work without scratching the metal? I want to polish my trigger to chrome, same with the barrel tip... only with the barrel tip, I want to make it look like a worn chrome to black fade with more wear in different parts.... It's hard to explain but in my head it looks good.

I heard there is a rubber bit that is good for it... and that Druid has some answers, but I'm asking everyone with dremmel experience because I know alot of people on here have it.

Once again, thanks guys!

Oscum Guy
06-02-2007, 01:53 PM
you have to sand the anno and use metal (buffing) polish stuff to make a chrome like finish.

Nenkitsune
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
yep. use 1000-2000 grit sandpaper for the worn look. Use those white buffing tips. put a bit of mothers mag polish (the paste style in the can) and buff it to a pretty shine. The polish leaves a black residue on the metal, so you have to keep buffing it out till it's all gone, but when it's finished, it looks like chrome

druid
06-03-2007, 04:31 AM
the rubber wheel is gray and a flat disc. That is what I use to polish strikers and sears. I also use it to strip off coatings like PC and paint and it does an excellent job.

To polish anno, you need that white "bullet" shaped polishing tip with a GOOD polish like Mother's Mag. To get a 'worn' look, apply pressure to the area. You are looking for an "antiqued" look, correct? That's achieved by heat of the polishing tip, being pressed harder onto the surface...

Ace24
06-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Well see what I'm going to try to do is make these "blast lines" that streak back twards the gun from the port areas. They will not go very far along the tip, but will give it a look like the gun has been shooting "bullets" lmao. Idk how to explain it. It's all worked out in my mind and it looks sexy.

I'm also going to polish my trigger, and after sleeping on it desided to do the band on my CP reg as well. I'm going to start off on the trigger though, just to get used to it and then hit the reg, before trying to get fancy with the barrel tip.

Ace24
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I bought a polish/cleaning kit for $11 and the rubber thing is in there. It's not a flat disk, but feels like a REALLY course version of Scotch Bright, only more rubbery.

There are also two gray disks that have a sort of sandpaper feel, wich I assume are the disks your talking about. I'm going to start off by making my eye wire trench with the grinding wheel I picked up, then I'm going to try those gray disks on the trigger. (so that if I screw up, it's not a big loss.)

Ace24
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Well the trigger came out pretty good. Not 100% the way I wanted it... but if you don't look EXTREMELY close you don't really notice. There is a little ripple effect going on the face of the trigger...

Does anyone know of a way to get that smooth and even? I used the plastic wheel to get the anno off, that worked great. Then I used this scotch brite looking buffer thinger that self lubes. Then I polished it and it's oh so shiney. If I could just get rid of that ripple, I would be happy.

druid
06-05-2007, 12:16 AM
slower speed and less pressure. White bullet looking polishing tip and mother's mag should do it

Ace24
06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Where do I find mothers mag?

Critical
06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Automotive stores should have it.

Ace24
06-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Sweet, Thank you.

I'm probably going to pick some up today after work.