PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap, almost forgot my anniversary!

DRAGON
05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Just reminiscing the past and realized I have been playing paintball for 20 years now...

Was at lunch from work and somehow eneded up at a magazine store and saw an APG on the shelf. Thumbed through it and said, "OMFG I have got to try this!" :eek: Took the mag back to work and showed it to teh boys and it seems I wasn't the only one enthused -

There was an ad in APG for Hell Survivors in Pinkney, Michigan. I ended up calling them and asked if they'd send some info to me. Once I got the info I realized if I got 20 players together I could play for free(wowie zowie!). :o Between my friends and people from work I ended up getting 30 people together for our first day of 'splatball'(what we called it then) -

We all showed up on the field looking as noobish as was then. If you were an experienced player you were camo'd down. Most of us had blue jeans and t-shirts on -

Since there were so many of us we ended up playing against a regular team and all the walk-ons. We could have played a private game but chose to endeavor the experienced players cuz we wuz some baaaaaad doods from Detroit! :cool:

The field markers were .50 cal. Crossman Spotmarkers which resembled a .357 Mag handgun. We bought .50 cal paint in 100 round baggies for $10. We had no tubes so we had to carry the baggies in our pockets. Worse yet the Spotmarker only had cylindrical 6 shot chambers that had to be reloaded by hand in the field when you ran out of ammo. Another conciliation :dodgy: of the Spotmarker was the grip had to be removed at around 25 shots to add another 12 gram C02 cartridge. There were no full face masks then, just these Uvix goggles that resembled shop gogles. If you took one in the face, throat or ear, it was just tough patooties. I had plenty of fat lips in the day......but that's all in the fun of things right? -

So here we are, 30 baaaaad doods from Detroit with these little Spotmarkers looking at our opponents which had PMI 1's, 2's and 3's, Tippmann pumps and .60 cal Smig's, constant air, 50 rd loaders and the rest of technology at that time. Suddenly me tinks we were looking bad in a literal sense lol -

So to make a long story shorter, we never had so much fun having our asses handed to us all day as we did then. The regular team even had girls pwning us but who cares in such a state of paintball grandeur? -

Before my next day of play, I had a PMI 68 Magnum with all the buzzers and bells as I was surely not going to have my ass handed to me every time I stepped on the field. Pump marker, constant air, 50rd loader and camo's WOOT! The other 15 or so that were instant addicts did the same. We continued to play as a team and got much better at this game of splatball. We played through the summer and by fall the season fizzled out with the oncoming snow. By the next spring there were about 7 of us diehards left. I'm quite sure I'm most likely the only addict left playing to this day -

That 1987, now 2007. It's very interesting how things have changed since then. If I had a Spyder e-marker then, I'll bet I could have sold it for $3000 lol. You have no idea how much we wanted even a semi-auto. With technology so advanced and paint prices so low now, it's almost unbeleivable how much things have changed. Wonder if any of you will still be playing in another 20 years? Just imagine the technology then. I'll most likely be playing in a wheelchair some day. Hee hee, teh AARP/NPPL Senior Wheelchair World Cup Orlando lol - :D

QAZ123
05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
That's cool your still in the game. Yeah I got to hold one of those spotmarkers at an event one time. It was... different.:cool:

JB.

vikingshadow
05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a friend (who was also my co-captain on Catalyst) who started playing back in 1985 - the stories he tells about playing are hilarious! I really wish I'd have started the first time I heard about it - but I thought it was rather dangerous sounding, hahaha!

Congratulations, and keep playing on!

Kenny_McCormic
05-30-2007, 04:19 PM
hmm hells survivors is only like an hor from me. i should go sometime

QAZ123
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh you should be at some of our pump tournies when the old schoolers get together. Story after story after story.. It's like "hey guys we're up next wanna quit talking and get to the staging area? Guys? Guys???!! Yeah we know you used to do this in the woods with a bushmaster. We covered that already now get in here and do it with a Sniper II!!!"

JB.

shunut
05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
LOL Great story Drago and Happy Anniversary.

DRAGON
05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a few stories but don't speak of them too much. I keep them in my head though and assuredly come in handy when playing -

Theheroguy
05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been playing for about a year (7months not counting surgery time) now

Team Ramrod
05-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Great Story Drago. I'm sure ill make it to the 20 year mark, I'm on year 8 now and I'm only 17, I've got plenty of fight left in me.

Ace24
06-02-2007, 01:36 AM
I really wish I'd have started the first time I heard about it - but I thought it was rather dangerous sounding, hahaha!

You thought right. Back then, like Dragon said... the face mask didn't exist. It was goggles.

Pretty damn cool though. My 7 year anniversary will be comming up lol.

Great Story Drago. I'm sure ill make it to the 20 year mark, I'm on year 8 now and I'm only 17, I've got plenty of fight left in me.
7th for me and I'm 17 also. I started off with a old Spyder Compact with the double trigger frame and no ASA/line. The CO2 tank was screwed into the VA. That was pretty nasty on the hands when it was humid and not very warm out. Those stupid diagional feeds with the hole looking down into the breech was an annoyance too... Especially considering where we were playing was in the woods, and it would always rain/be damp from the rain the night before and the leaves would let water into the gun.

Ugh I miss paintball camp :(

vikingshadow
06-02-2007, 06:02 AM
I had some family members who got a few pumps way back then and ask me to play. They had brought them to a family reunion and were shooting them at trees and such, even the little kids as they ran past. I remember thinking someone was going to get hit in the eye, and then when they asked me to go play, I said, "Are you blankity blank nuts? One of you is going to get hit in the eye!"

That was about 15 years ago - kinda wish I'd have gone now. None of those family members will even come close to playing now, no matter how many times I ask!

STRIKEFIRST
06-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Just reminiscing the past and realized I have been playing paintball for 20 years now...

Was at lunch from work and somehow eneded up at a magazine store and saw an APG on the shelf. Thumbed through it and said, "OMFG I have got to try this!" :eek: Took the mag back to work and showed it to teh boys and it seems I wasn't the only one enthused -

There was an ad in APG for Hell Survivors in Pinkney, Michigan. I ended up calling them and asked if they'd send some info to me. Once I got the info I realized if I got 20 players together I could play for free(wowie zowie!). :o Between my friends and people from work I ended up getting 30 people together for our first day of 'splatball'(what we called it then) -

We all showed up on the field looking as noobish as was then. If you were an experienced player you were camo'd down. Most of us had blue jeans and t-shirts on -

Since there were so many of us we ended up playing against a regular team and all the walk-ons. We could have played a private game but chose to endeavor the experienced players cuz we wuz some baaaaaad doods from Detroit! :cool:

The field markers were .50 cal. Crossman Spotmarkers which resembled a .357 Mag handgun. We bought .50 cal paint in 100 round baggies for $10. We had no tubes so we had to carry the baggies in our pockets. Worse yet the Spotmarker only had cylindrical 6 shot chambers that had to be reloaded by hand in the field when you ran out of ammo. Another conciliation :dodgy: of the Spotmarker was the grip had to be removed at around 25 shots to add another 12 gram C02 cartridge. There were no full face masks then, just these Uvix goggles that resembled shop gogles. If you took one in the face, throat or ear, it was just tough patooties. I had plenty of fat lips in the day......but that's all in the fun of things right? -

So here we are, 30 baaaaad doods from Detroit with these little Spotmarkers looking at our opponents which had PMI 1's, 2's and 3's, Tippmann pumps and .60 cal Smig's, constant air, 50 rd loaders and the rest of technology at that time. Suddenly me tinks we were looking bad in a literal sense lol -

So to make a long story shorter, we never had so much fun having our asses handed to us all day as we did then. The regular team even had girls pwning us but who cares in such a state of paintball grandeur? -

Before my next day of play, I had a PMI 68 Magnum with all the buzzers and bells as I was surely not going to have my ass handed to me every time I stepped on the field. Pump marker, constant air, 50rd loader and camo's WOOT! The other 15 or so that were instant addicts did the same. We continued to play as a team and got much better at this game of splatball. We played through the summer and by fall the season fizzled out with the oncoming snow. By the next spring there were about 7 of us diehards left. I'm quite sure I'm most likely the only addict left playing to this day -

That 1987, now 2007. It's very interesting how things have changed since then. If I had a Spyder e-marker then, I'll bet I could have sold it for $3000 lol. You have no idea how much we wanted even a semi-auto. With technology so advanced and paint prices so low now, it's almost unbeleivable how much things have changed. Wonder if any of you will still be playing in another 20 years? Just imagine the technology then. I'll most likely be playing in a wheelchair some day. Hee hee, teh AARP/NPPL Senior Wheelchair World Cup Orlando lol - :D

Thats funny...my first experience was at Hell survivors! I was a Junior in High school 1992...My dad went and played with a neighbor and talked about it for a week...so A group of my friends and I went on a Sunday...the wrong day to play back then...thats when the "pros" paracticed...they divided up all the walk ons between the 2 "pro" teams. My first learning experience was a day spent playing with the "Battle Dragons".

Wow...thinking back those guys in that one day taught me alot and definetly how to treat noobs.

Happy anniversary dragon!

DRAGON
06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
It's kind of funny to think that at one time, all of us were noobs. Even the ones that so promanently throw the 'noob' name at others just starting up in the sport - :o

Just thinking about this first game of mine, I thought about a very funny excerpt of the day: So we're in play and this experienced player from the other team just took out 2 of my buds but somehow didn't see me. So he's slowly moving and looking around for others, in my direction. I'm thinking to myself, "Ya, ya, just keep coming this way. Just a little closer, just a bit closer" and he was, OMG! I had a full 12 gram and 6 rounds loaded in the Spotmarker. He was finally about 5 yards from me and I decided the moment of truth had finally come for this guy. I jumped out from behind the tree and while running at him yelled, "GAAAAAAAA!!!" as I emptied the 6 rounds at him in a matter of seconds. It was the perfect replication in one of the scenes in Pulp Fiction, I didn't hit him 1 time lol. I'm sure I scared the bejesus outta him but he quickly let me have a few rounds in response with a slightly disturbed smirk on his face. Walked back to the safe zone with my tail between my legs wondering what I did wrong - :confused:

NeedForSpeed
06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
lmao. Thats a good story. I can picture someone doing that right now.