PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
What a day so far (knock on wood!) And it's only noon!

First, it's my first full day out of school for the summer. Nuf said.

Second, I'm getting my first laptop today. (Hasn't come yet, but it will soon!)

Third, went to Wal-mart to get some things for the wife, and I found a laptop case for 5.00. Not leather or anything, but it's very similar to my satchel briefcase, just a different color. Has a lot of pockets for stuff like my palm pilot, ipod, cell, etc...Has 3 different ways to carry it - like a back pack, like a satchel with a shoulder strap or just by the handle. Made of nylon and very durable (looking, at least for now!)

Fourth, found a local dealer for BN orings at VERY cheap prices. I'm actually considering selling them on the net now. I built a very large PMR rebuild kit (at least 20 rebuilds) for WAY less than what most dealers sell them for. If you want me to sell you one, let me know. I may be able to sell them for cheaper than some other places...I may even be able to build other kits, if I know the sizes that are needed.

Fifth, my kids are actually cleaning their rooms without me yelling at them. WOW!

Anyway, hope everyone else is having a good day!

shunut
05-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Congrats, hope your day continues to go well. So far on the first full day off of school for my sisters I've played taxi.

bamf-hacker
05-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Going to get my jacket... It is going to be a cold day in hell today... Kids cleaning there rooms untold!!!!

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Hahahaha! I KNOW! I checked my pulse to make sure I was ok - took some Bayer in case of heartattack, then asked them what they wanted. Then I ran screaming into the backyard before they could tell me, lol!

Shu - I don't have to play taxi this week because my wife took the week off for vacation - SHE'S the taxi this week, hahaha!

Only thing that'll make this perfect is to find about 80.00 laying around so I can go to the PB field this weekend and it'll be a golden weekend.

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Check it out! I'm typing this on my new laptop, sitting in front of my television 15 feet away from my router! So cool!

Getting the internet and email set up was a PITA, but it's so worth it. My wife is already mad because now I can be in the television room AND on the internet at the same time, lol!

pbfreak3221
05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the new labtop, I love mine! I was wondering, does yours heat up to extremely high temperatures under neath it?

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 02:20 PM
I've had it on since probably 2:00 and it's just a little warm - nothing that noticeable.

However, I'm wondering if I actually got the correct battery because it only lasted a couple of hours...

BrianT
05-25-2007, 02:56 PM
wow from the first part of the post i thought that you were going to say that you were having a bad day. but at least it's a good one

durrell
05-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I've had it on since probably 2:00 and it's just a little warm - nothing that noticeable.

However, I'm wondering if I actually got the correct battery because it only lasted a couple of hours...

The battery doesn't come precharged. I'd run it down to the bottom and then charge it fully overnight, then test it. Also remember when you have a full battery do not leave the PC plugged in because it will fry your battery life like no tomorrow.

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Ah, good tip! I didn't realize that.

On a side note - I just downloaded 46 updates. Yes, 46! But, now I'm pretty much updated. Oh, and installed Office XP pro. Good as gold now....

Hob Hayward
05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
The battery doesn't come precharged. I'd run it down to the bottom and then charge it fully overnight, then test it. Also remember when you have a full battery do not leave the PC plugged in because it will fry your battery life like no tomorrow.

I though LithIons didn't do that.

bamf-hacker
05-25-2007, 04:44 PM
You can leave any new laptop plugged in as long as you like. You will not fry the battery. Also the average time for a laptop battery is about 2-3 hours. Unless you have a ultra-portable then you are right on par.

Hit me up for any help you may need.

Welcome to computing freedom. Next step posting from the toilet (Where I am now ;))

durrell
05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
You can leave any new laptop plugged in as long as you like. You will not fry the battery. Also the average time for a laptop battery is about 2-3 hours. Unless you have a ultra-portable then you are right on par.

Hit me up for any help you may need.

Welcome to computing freedom. Next step posting from the toilet (Where I am now ;))

What did the older laptops run on? I wasn't aware it didn't affect the new ones..my older laptop's battery was shot.

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Funny thing...when the UPS babe showed up (remember her?) I was playing HALO and seriously in need of an extended bathroom break....I got the "instruction book" book out and seriously debated taking it in there with me. Rest easy - I didn't!

Thanks for the offer - I'll take you up on it, I'm sure. Good news for you guys though...this has seriously slowed my typing speed down. I'm have a dog of a time hitting the right letters!

Hossy
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Funny thing...when the UPS babe showed up (remember her?)

Indeed Vike? where ever did she go?
I'm have a dog of a time hitting the right letters!

YES! NO MORE RANTS! :dodgy:

DRAGON
05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Frikin yuppies! - ;)

MVS1
05-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Brother glad to hear your having a good day, nice to know that somebody is...I have had the worst week of my professional military career, one of my troops got a DUI last saturday and since then my life has been quite honestly a living hell, if you have ever served or been affiliated with the military you can comprehend what that means for the idiots supervisor (ME). So I finally get through all the appointments and interviews with military Doc' and Legal councelors and of course the most pleasant of events standing in front of the commander with fore-mentioned idiot at attention for 2 hours and have the jerk that I have given every opportunity too, call me out as one of the many reasons that he drinks approximately 15 750 mL bottles of whiskey a month (his estimate), we send him off to dependancy treatment (yesterday around 6:30 pm). Time to exhale and get on withe life...but what...around 7pm my wife calls me (at work) to let me know that she needs me to come home NOW!!! because our youngest needs to go to the E.R. because he just ate the business end of my middle son's scooter handle bars (only 2 stiches, Thanks God!). Ok rough night but life goes on, right....I could only wish. This morning I get a call from my favorite problem troop (yep the one that feels that drinking and drive isn't as bad as we are making it out to be and that all this is unfair to him) was refusing to check-in at the Command Directed Dependency treatment center (which happens to be 250 miles away, that my second in charge drove him to) because he was told it was out-patient treatment and they were trying to in-process him for in-patient treatment (my response, "You got the DUI you *** you should be glad your still not in jail" my diplomacy and patience is gone at this point). Well I get it all straightened out after 2 hours of phone calls to at least 15 different people, and he checks-in. So now all I can hope for is that I don't hear about him for the next 4 weeks and my indestructible 4 year old doesn't do something to warrant another trip to the E.R., so basically I don't have much hope.
Vike I am so sorry for ranting on and hi-jacking your thread.

vikingshadow
05-25-2007, 07:09 PM
No problem! Understand completely. Especially after this past year that I had I understand the need to just let it out.