PDA

View Full Version : T-shirt Launcher

unkledave
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I've seen threads of people making potato launchers.
I was wondering if anybody knows how to build a t-shirt launcher.
There are companies out there that sell them, but the prices are ridiculous.
Here's an example of what they look like.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7/dancingslave/tshirtlauncher.jpg

Critical
05-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Depends on how fancy you want it. For just a basic one, get a 12" piece of PVC with thick walls for the main pressure cylinder, and some clear plastic from the same place (or you might have to go to a hobby store) for the front tube. Find someone selling a low pressure reg in the sales corner, 'cause I'm almost positive this would run on low pressure/high volume. 20oz CO2 canister, a way to attach it to the reg, and a fast opening valve to go between the front and rear tubes, and your set. What happens, from my understanding, is that the rear tube is filled with air, when the trigger is released, it opens the valve between the tubes and the shirt blows out. You'd probably only get a couple of shots from each fill. Hope I helped.

calebh
05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
ooo, we built a couple for school and shot out a light hehe. i got a tshirt stuck in the gym rafters, too lol

i dont remember the exact dimensions, but our design was different and much simpler. ours was a simple one shot launcher. we had a large section of pipe used for storing air. we just charged it up with a pump or compressor. there was the valve. one of ours used a push button thing, and one had a knob thing you turned to turn the valve.

we had a small one and a bigger one that used more volume at a higher pressure, about 55 psi, if i remember right. both would shoot pretty far, but the big one was beaster and had a base. we couldn't get it to shoot low enough to miss hit the ceiling of the gym. the smaller one was hand held, which is probably what you want. i have no idea if the thing is still around lol

unkledave
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for your input guys... It needs to look good. It's going to be used in front of 1,000's people for many years. I can custom paint it myself but, the design needs to look cool.

I'm leaning more towards the potato gun design with larger PVC or maybe even the Mortor type design. It sure would look good with a grip & trigger like the one in the picture, though.

Any ideas???? Anybody???

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Potato gun style with an oversized barrel would be easiest. Have it be pneumatic (using a sprinkler valve) and you can charge it from a reg'ed CO2 tank.

vwjimmy
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a potato launcher I built in the 90's....
It ran on propane or simular, and that gets messy/dangerous...
I modded it with a 2" 90* ball valve and a 20oz CO@ cannister with on/off
It is 2" pvc on top...2" ball valve...and 3" pvc charge chamber...
I think you will need the chamber precharged to get the velosity you are looking for....I wonder if you could get a trigger frame to trip the valve? it needs to open fast and flow great....
Mine would not for sure..but I never gave much thought to other valve options......
You could always use the frame trigger to charge the chamber....

unkledave
05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a potato launcher I built in the 90's....
It ran on propane or simular, and that gets messy/dangerous...
I modded it with a 2" 90* ball valve and a 20oz CO@ cannister with on/off
It is 2" pvc on top...2" ball valve...and 3" pvc charge chamber...
I think you will need the chamber precharged to get the velosity you are looking for....I wonder if you could get a trigger frame to trip the valve? it needs to open fast and flow great....
Mine would not for sure..but I never gave much thought to other valve options......
You could always use the frame trigger to charge the chamber....

Now we're talking. If I could figure out have to make a regular spyder trigger work with the potato gun design. GRIP, ON/OFF, 20OZ tank...

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Jimmy, a sprinkler solenoid valve works great for the valve. It'll open from the power of a 9v and is very high flowing. You could easily wire up a spare frame with a switch to fire it. Getting pressure inside is the harder part to do rapidly. I'd put a gauge in the cannon and hook up a co2 tank with a ball valve maybe to control pressure into your chamber.

Look here: http://ryft.org/index.php?title=Pneumatic_cannon thats my friend and Is wiki, and thats my pneumatic potato gun. Gray thing is the solenoid. I've actually got a spare one atm if you're interested.

unkledave
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
PM'd Hob Howard...

RIpaintballer
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
im going to try to make one with my spyder xtra =)

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 06:44 PM
I meant I have a spare solenoid.

When I have a some free time I'll try to draw up a plan.

vwjimmy
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Nice Hob! I like the valve too!
When I converted to CO2, I used a HPA fill nipple instead of the schrader... (Is that a tire valve stem you used?)
We have a gauge on it. We just attach to a SS remote line and a 20oz CO2
I have seen 300psi on our gauge without problems, but the release valve I am using is not airtite at that pressure....and ours needs all the pressure it can get for decent distance. (Never tried to chrono it...maybe we will this weekend)
I admit that I am no engineer..so our intent was to convert the existing 'Taternater' to CO2. Function was the only thing on my mind...
Good luch and please let me know how that thing fires Hob....

unkledave
05-24-2007, 07:03 PM
im going to try to make one with my spyder xtra =)

Keep me updated... I'd like to see what you come up with.

RIpaintballer
05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Keep me updated... I'd like to see what you come up with.
ok i will
i need a big barrel =)

unkledave
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
:shrug: Someone in another forum mentioned this: Why not connect a barrel back to a piece of PVC and use a marker?

Does this sound like it would work?

vwjimmy
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
:shrug: Someone in another forum mentioned this: Why not connect a barrel back to a piece of PVC and use a marker?

Does this sound like it would work?
No...the volume just isent there for the size and weight of the projectile...

unkledave
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
No...the volume just isent there for the size and weight of the projectile...
HHmmmmmmm.... Thanks vwjimmy

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Nice Hob! I like the valve too!
When I converted to CO2, I used a HPA fill nipple instead of the schrader... (Is that a tire valve stem you used?)
We have a gauge on it. We just attach to a SS remote line and a 20oz CO2
I have seen 300psi on our gauge without problems, but the release valve I am using is not airtite at that pressure....and ours needs all the pressure it can get for decent distance. (Never tried to chrono it...maybe we will this weekend)
I admit that I am no engineer..so our intent was to convert the existing 'Taternater' to CO2. Function was the only thing on my mind...
Good luch and please let me know how that thing fires Hob....

Actually using CO2 isn't the best idea if you're trying to get nice long shots off, because as a heavier gas co2 moves slower than air, I would suggest trying it with an HPA tank sometime and seeing if theres any difference.

I fired mine earlier today at 100psi (our set max pressure) and the potato I was using landed ~400-500 feet away. Those results aren't as good as I'd like, seeing as some of my combustion guns can shoot a deal further, but I wanna see how much better it'll be with helium. Also, heating up the gas helps with distance.

I've been using a bike pump to pressurize the chamber so far because my neighbors broke our compressor when we lent it to them...

vwjimmy
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I fired mine earlier today at 100psi (our set max pressure) and the potato I was using landed ~400-500 feet away. Those results aren't as good as I'd like, seeing as some of my combustion guns can shoot a deal further, but I wanna see how much better it'll be with helium. Also, heating up the gas helps with distance.

I will try HPA. The disapointing distance verses propane is a bummer....
I guess that the expansion of the combustion is gonna be hard to beat....
I'll post up when I get it out, and let you know about HPA too..

RIpaintballer
05-24-2007, 07:47 PM
i cant use hpa because i have a low-p hpa tank =(

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I will try HPA. The disapointing distance verses propane is a bummer....
I guess that the expansion of the combustion is gonna be hard to beat....
I'll post up when I get it out, and let you know about HPA too..

I was actually comparing it to my hairspray fueled ones. My propane gun had some issues, and then part of the chamber cracked in the cold, its being rebuilt right now, slowly though, as I have other projects that are more important.

RIpaintballer: you couldn't use 800 psi in one of these without blowing it up, 400 even would be dangerously high.

vwjimmy
05-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Mine are converted from hairspray (We actually built 25 of them and sold them to our co-workers!) ...I kept sticking the end shut!
I subbed propane for the hairspray without any mods except a small charge port......

Hob Hayward
05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah, yeah, mine has a metering system that was set up wrong before. Gotta get some fittings now, and we're gonna do it with clear PVC and this blue glowy 80mm brushless computer fan that I've got in the chamber.

Jegger24
05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Mine are converted from hairspray (We actually built 25 of them and sold them to our co-workers!) ...I kept sticking the end shut!
I subbed propane for the hairspray without any mods except a small charge port......

A co-worker of mine used aerosol deodorant the other night! Those spud guns are incredible! :D

RIpaintballer
05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
i think that is impossible to make a spyder xtra a potato gun because the bolt it stops

Hob Hayward
05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
It might be possible. I doubt you'd have near the volume of air you want though.

Most I think you could do with the extra would be to take the grip and attach it somehow.

Kenny_McCormic
05-25-2007, 07:13 PM
go to spudfiles.com all the info on spudhguns you could ever possibly need